ATL: KIRK - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Condor
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: ATL: KIRK - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#121 Postby Condor » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:46 pm

1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

edu2703
Category 1
Category 1

#122 Postby edu2703 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:46 pm

5:00 PM AST Sat Sep 22
Moving: WNW at 15 mph
Min pressure: 1005 mb
Max sustained: 40 mph

INIT 22/2100Z 8.6N 24.8W 35 KT 40 MPH
12H 23/0600Z 9.1N 27.1W 40 KT 45 MPH
24H 23/1800Z 9.5N 31.2W 45 KT 50 MPH
36H 24/0600Z 9.7N 35.7W 50 KT 60 MPH
48H 24/1800Z 9.8N 40.2W 50 KT 60 MPH
72H 25/1800Z 10.5N 48.0W 50 KT 60 MPH
96H 26/1800Z 11.5N 54.0W 45 KT 50 MPH
120H 27/1800Z 13.0N 59.0W 40 KT 45 MPH
0 likes   

Condor
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#123 Postby Condor » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:48 pm

1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#124 Postby chaser1 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:12 pm

Hammy wrote:
chaser1 wrote:Hammy, I saw those ASCAT plots you posted but boy....., even if there are one or two wind barbs actually showing 35 Kt's. that's a pretty minimal showing for data when you consider it being the solo one pass and without any additional corroborating data. I generally stand on the side of "call it as you see it" but there's something to be said for continuity too. Zero argument on it's being upgraded to a T.D. but I don't see where 6-12 hours of additional observation would've hurt prior to NHC's early upgrade to T.S. It's not as if T.S. conditions were going to threaten those in the islands to the north. This coming from someone who believed 97L should have been earlier upgraded (even if it were the size of a large waterspout lol). At least with that feature, I thought a very small tight core feature was discernible and a continuous feature that persisted for well more then a day.

I would say the call was good here especially since weaker side of the circulation was caught, but agree there is some inconsistency with when it's applied. Personally I'd like to see an across the board standard of going with the highest available measurement (unless the strongest wind is outright missed) in all cases when using ASCAT.

Definitely some application of greater consistency would be good. Reason I feel the call was not good is that at best it's reliant on one or two wind barbs at most, and based on a singular ASCAT pass. Minus any other surface corroborating data (ships reports, buoys, or wayward flung seagulls :cheesy: ), I'd feel more comfortable making a call to upgrade based on fairly convincing ASCAT at least 12 hours of maintained 2.0 reading via satellite analysis, along with some level of maintained CDO or COC co-located banded convection. A T.D. showing a single ASCAT 35 knot wind barb and unable to maintain any clear convective banding or displaying a full collapse of any convection near it's center, hardly seems the definition of what I've understood a T.S. to be. Even though it has largely become accepted as to what a T.S. actually is.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#125 Postby AutoPenalti » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm curious to see if Kirk can hold out for a few days as he enters the Lesser Antilles, shear would be dropping a bit and I wonder if maybe an anti-cyclone can try to build over him.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#126 Postby chaser1 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:28 pm

Great supporting evidence why those particular regions are not currently favorable for development to occur. Unfortunately Doc, the Captain (Kirk) is in an altogether galactic 2,500 miles to the east of those present (a lot of extra emphasis on the word "present") shear conditions.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#127 Postby chaser1 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:34 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:I'm curious to see if Kirk can hold out for a few days as he enters the Lesser Antilles, shear would be dropping a bit and I wonder if maybe an anti-cyclone can try to build over him.

Kirk is an overall broad envelope type system. I think far more important as to whether Kirk can "hold out", is whether the storm can "build up". A strong core supported by large convective CDO is more apt to have good outflow in all directions and aid toward moistening the environment around it, thus better capable of impacting it's immediate environment as opposed to simply becoming a victim of it. Kirk to Engine room, "raise shields".
4 likes   

Condor
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#128 Postby Condor » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:54 pm

chaser1 wrote:

Great supporting evidence why those particular regions are not currently favorable for development to occur. Unfortunately Doc, the Captain (Kirk) is in an altogether galactic 2,500 miles to the east of those present (a lot of extra emphasis on the word "present") shear conditions.

Also has favourable conditions leading up to reaching the present high amount of shear around the lesser Antilles. We will have to keep an eye out and see how this changes over the next couple days. The current models show reaching that area around Tuesday so this will give the development plenty of time to strengthen. As we all know conditions can change drastically in 24 hours.
1 likes   

Condor
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#129 Postby Condor » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:55 pm

0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#130 Postby chaser1 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:19 pm

:uarrow: Been looking at the above IR loop for over 10 minutes..... i think i may be trippin' :double: :lol:
5 likes   

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#131 Postby Ubuntwo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:24 pm

All I can say is, if this is a TS, then 98L surely was as well.
1 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#132 Postby AutoPenalti » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:29 pm

chaser1 wrote::uarrow: Been looking at the above IR loop for over 10 minutes..... i think i may be trippin' :double: :lol:

Seems to be trying it's best to wrap convection around the LLC
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATL: INVEST 99L - Discussion

#133 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:40 pm

AnnularCane wrote:
storm_in_a_teacup wrote:
Hurricane Andrew wrote:She is chomping on that SAL...look at the outflow boundary, and the sand you can see on the visible.

Don’t assume its gender yet. You are fully aware they’re not mature enough to be sexed unless they’re tropical storm strength :lol:

Yep, as it turns out, this is no "she." Congrats, it's a boy! :lol:

Wait speaking of which is this the tropical storm people were saying was going to form from the remnants of Florence?
0 likes   
I know I can't straddle the atmosphere...just a tiny storm in your teacup, girl.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 99L - Discussion

#134 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:43 pm

storm_in_a_teacup wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:
storm_in_a_teacup wrote:
Don’t assume its gender yet. You are fully aware they’re not mature enough to be sexed unless they’re tropical storm strength :lol:

Yep, as it turns out, this is no "she." Congrats, it's a boy! :lol:

Wait speaking of which is this the tropical storm people were saying was going to form from the remnants of Florence?

Nope, that’s 98L this system formed right off of Africa
2 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#135 Postby chaser1 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:12 pm

"Spock, find me if you can......"
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#136 Postby AutoPenalti » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:25 pm

At this point it just looks like an open wave.
0 likes   

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#137 Postby Aric Dunn » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:28 pm

0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Condor
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#138 Postby Condor » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:31 pm

chaser1 wrote::uarrow: Been looking at the above IR loop for over 10 minutes..... i think i may be trippin' :double: :lol:

Everytime I get the loop from the COD it does that I dont know why lol
0 likes   

Condor
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#139 Postby Condor » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:35 pm

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=global-capeverde-14-48-1-100-1&checked=latlon-map&colorbar=undefined

For anyone looking to watch a decent IR of him developing over the past 24 hours
2 likes   

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#140 Postby Ubuntwo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:00 pm

Looks open to me :double:
0 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

Return to “2018”