Moderator: S2k Moderators

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: MICHAEL - Hurricane - Discussion

#3961 Postby cheezyWXguy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:02 pm

sbcc wrote:Missing storm chaser Kyle Bower in Mexico Beach:

https://twitter.com/ksufearless/status/ ... 9256637440

After watching Brett Adair's feed, and hearing about the chasers who have been, or still are, missing today, this kind of feels like the El Reno of hurricanes. Pretty disturbing feeling.
3 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#3962 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Albany GA sustained winds of 45mph currently
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#3963 Postby Ptarmigan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Michael is the most intense October hurricane to make landfall on America. The last October Category 4 hurricane to hit America was Hazel in 1954. :eek:
Last edited by Ptarmigan on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#3964 Postby EquusStorm » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Regarding the train derailed, it's pretty impressive that ground level winds were able to do that. The Labor Day cane was absurdly intense and threw the train off the tracks though helped by surge. I'm not sure of the construction of passenger coaches used on the FEC in the 1930s, but even the heavier coaches of that era are likely much lighter than a loaded freight car today; freight cars generally being heavier in general. If unloaded though, the slight top-heaviness would probably make it a good bit easier to tip the over, but to see nearly an entire train leaning like that is wild.
2 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Smith,J
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#3965 Postby Smith,J » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:12 pm

Any pictures from Indian Pass or St Joseph Island?
1 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3966 Postby chaser1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:13 pm

What a potentially horrible story? Sure hope he's found okay. Only thing more I came across on Google was......

John Hale

@StormChasrJohnH
Follow Follow @StormChasrJohnH
More
A storm chaser named Kyle Bower is missing and has not been heard from in hours. He had to abandon his vehicle in the storm surge. Please pass this along so we can find him. Last known location was Mexico Beach at a Hotel called The Club.

4:39 PM - 10 Oct 2018
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

nascarfan999
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3967 Postby nascarfan999 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:14 pm

supercane4867 wrote:Early photos of damage in Mexico Beach

https://i.imgur.com/2t9ptjO.jpg

Here is the closest before picture I could come up with via Google for that shot from Mexico Beach. It looks like the after was shot from a position further back and up a couple stories which i wasn't able to exactly recreate.

https://imgur.com/evxwyao
0 likes   

sbcc
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3968 Postby sbcc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:19 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:

After watching Brett Adair's feed, and hearing about the chasers who have been, or still are, missing today, this kind of feels like the El Reno of hurricanes. Pretty disturbing feeling.

UPDATE: Kyle is safe! https://twitter.com/ksufearless/status/ ... 9475811329
7 likes   

MidnightRain
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3969 Postby MidnightRain » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:19 pm

I am still trying to wrap my mind around this. A little over 72 hours ago this was suppose to be a tropical storm/low end hurricane along the Gulf coast. It never stopped strengthening since day one. Made a run at category 5 off the coast of the Florida panhandle.

Michael might be one of the biggest weather phenomenons I'll ever see.
7 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3970 Postby chaser1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:21 pm

pricetag56 wrote:Where did everyone go? Where's the info on all the destruction?

I was thinking the same thing, but then realized this. Those who were up all night tracking and analyzing Michael's Sat pic's and data, are probably taking a "brain break". Those who chased it, are probably asleep. Those who directly faced the prospect of loosing their home, property and loved ones from the harrowing threat, are probably drinking heavily.
Finally, that leaves both you and I. We obviously have no life. :ggreen:
13 likes   

drezee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3971 Postby drezee » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:22 pm

Mexico beach Facebook page made me sick. So many people stayed and are missing. Even some in the pictures of whole buildings that are gone. Rustic Palms RV and campground had so many people who stayed in trailers.
0 likes   

AdamFirst
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3972 Postby AdamFirst » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:24 pm

MidnightRain wrote:I am still trying to wrap my mind around this. A little over 72 hours ago this was suppose to be a tropical storm/low end hurricane along the Gulf coast. It never stopped strengthening since day one. Made a run at category 5 off the coast of the Florida panhandle.

Michael might be one of the biggest weather phenomenons I'll ever see.

It is maintaning its tenacity in landfall too. It was a major hurricane still over southwestern Georgia.

Long night ahead. Albany, Georgia in the crosshairs for a large scale cleanup (for trees and powerlines)
0 likes   
Dolphins Marlins Canes Golden Panthers HEAT
Andrew 1992 - Irene 1999 - Frances 2004 - Jeanne 2004 - Wilma 2005 - Fay 2008 - Isaac 2012 - Matthew 2016 - Irma 2017 - Dorian 2019 - Ian 2022 - Nicole 2022

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3973 Postby chaser1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:25 pm

drezee wrote:Mexico beach Facebook page made me sick. So many people stayed and are missing. Even some in the pictures of whole buildings that are gone. Rustic Palms RV and campground had so many people who stayed in trailers.

Yet, there's been no reports of any found bodies or deaths from there??
0 likes   

KC7NEC
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: RE: Re: ATL: MICHAEL - Hurricane - Discussion

#3974 Postby KC7NEC » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:25 pm

chaser1 wrote:
pricetag56 wrote:Where did everyone go? Where's the info on all the destruction?

I was thinking the same thing, but then realized this. Those who were up all night tracking and analyzing Michael's Sat pic's and data, are probably taking a "brain break". Those who chased it, are probably asleep. Those who directly faced the prospect of loosing their home, property and loved ones from the harrowing threat, are probably drinking heavily.
Agreed. The past 12 hours even as someone many miles and states away have been insane. I imagine anyone closer and directly affected are just trying to get a handle on this. As someone no where near this I'm even a bit meloncholy and numb. Just a crazy situation and remarkable day and storm. Last time I felt this from watching hurricane coverage was Sandys, and Katrina before that.

Not a Official or meteorologist. All opinions and statements are my own. Consult the experts.
Last edited by KC7NEC on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
// Opinions are my own, I am not a Meteorologist. Consult the NHC or Local NWS and Emergency Management for current information in your area. //

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: RE: Re: ATL: MICHAEL - Hurricane - Discussion

#3975 Postby jlauderdal » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:26 pm

They are looking for the next model run that shows development
chaser1 wrote:

0 likes   

jhpigott
Category 2
Category 2

#3976 Postby jhpigott » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:27 pm

Uh, check this tweet from Josh. Says ALOT coming from him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/iCyclone/sta ... 4163395584
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3977 Postby chaser1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:27 pm

gfsperpendicular wrote:https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/f91238c5-de34-4bbd-9d26-8c249a3b1731

Michael is holding up extremely well inland. :double:

Okay enough already, Michael. Now he's just "showing-off".
0 likes   

AdamFirst
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3978 Postby AdamFirst » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:28 pm

chaser1 wrote:
drezee wrote:Mexico beach Facebook page made me sick. So many people stayed and are missing. Even some in the pictures of whole buildings that are gone. Rustic Palms RV and campground had so many people who stayed in trailers.

Yet, there's been no reports of any found bodies or deaths from there??

Not to be cryptic, but I believe it's only a matter of time. We hope for the best but seeing the images from Panama City Beach eastward...it'd be hard surviving that.
1 likes   
Dolphins Marlins Canes Golden Panthers HEAT
Andrew 1992 - Irene 1999 - Frances 2004 - Jeanne 2004 - Wilma 2005 - Fay 2008 - Isaac 2012 - Matthew 2016 - Irma 2017 - Dorian 2019 - Ian 2022 - Nicole 2022

gfsperpendicular
Category 1
Category 1

#3979 Postby gfsperpendicular » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:28 pm

this was the image meant to go with my last post lol
0 likes   
I'm not sleeping, I'm waiting for the 0900 UTC advisory!

#1 CMC stan

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#3980 Postby Cerlin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:30 pm

In regards to the death toll, I’m hopeful that it’ll stay low but it’s still relatively early. Just praying it’s lower than Florence.
1 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

Return to “2018”