Moderator: S2k Moderators

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: RE: Re: ATL: MICHAEL - Hurricane - Discussion

#3981 Postby tolakram » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:31 pm

KC7NEC wrote:
chaser1 wrote:
pricetag56 wrote:Where did everyone go? Where's the info on all the destruction?

I was thinking the same thing, but then realized this. Those who were up all night tracking and analyzing Michael's Sat pic's and data, are probably taking a "brain break". Those who chased it, are probably asleep. Those who directly faced the prospect of loosing their home, property and loved ones from the harrowing threat, are probably drinking heavily.
Finally, that leaves both you and I. We obviously have no life. :ggreen:
Agreed. The past 12 hours even as someone many miles and states away have been insane. I imagine anyone closer and directly affected are just trying to get a handle on this. As someone no where near this I'm even a bit meloncholy and numb. Just a crazy situation and remarkable day and storm. Last time I felt this from watching hurricane coverage was Sandys, and Katrina before that.

Not a Official or meteorologist. All opinions and statements are my own. Consult the experts.

There's a lot of repeat information coming in. Search and rescue takes priority right now and I can't imagine what it's like right now living up here well away from the ocean. I suspect we'll see a lot more after sunrise tomorrow.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3982 Postby jlauderdal » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:31 pm

AdamFirst wrote:
chaser1 wrote:
drezee wrote:Mexico beach Facebook page made me sick. So many people stayed and are missing. Even some in the pictures of whole buildings that are gone. Rustic Palms RV and campground had so many people who stayed in trailers.

Yet, there's been no reports of any found bodies or deaths from there??

Not to be cryptic, but I believe it's only a matter of time. We hope for the best but seeing the images from Panama City Beach eastward...it'd be hard surviving that.
Surge, big wind, weak structures..that isnt a good combination, lets hope loss of life is minimal
1 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3983 Postby chaser1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:31 pm

jlauderdal wrote:They are looking for the next model run that shows development
chaser1 wrote:
pricetag56 wrote:Where did everyone go? Where's the info on all the destruction?

I was thinking the same thing, but then realized this. Those who were up all night tracking and analyzing Michael's Sat pic's and data, are probably taking a "brain break". Those who chased it, are probably asleep. Those who directly faced the prospect of loosing their home, property and loved ones from the harrowing threat, are probably drinking heavily.
Finally, that leaves both you and I. We obviously have no life. :ggreen:

I'm not gonna lie; I was kinda wondering about that new area of low pressure expected to form in the W. Caribbean in the days to come :lol:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ObsessedMiami
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATL: MICHAEL - Hurricane - Discussion

#3984 Postby ObsessedMiami » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:33 pm

jhpigott wrote:
ObsessedMiami wrote:Requesting any information/ pics of Blountstown/Bristol area. Have family there.
Marianna is smashed and I’m sure those two towns south of them are similarly damaged

Ditto this request. My business partner is from Blountstown and his family and many friends still live there. Given Marianna's location I can only imagine that Blountstown got beat up pretty bad too

Hello sir. I have heard from relatives in neighboring Bristol, Liberty County and it’s not good. Lots of structural damage and tons and tons of trees down blocking the roads. 24 hour mandatory curfew in Liberty County now
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3985 Postby tolakram » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Yea, unfortunately when little news comes in it's usually very bad.

https://twitter.com/hurricanetrack/status/1050178538408726528

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3986 Postby tolakram » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:34 pm

2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3987 Postby tolakram » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:35 pm

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3988 Postby tolakram » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:37 pm

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#3989 Postby StruThiO » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:38 pm

:uarrow:

Very strong language being used here..
0 likes   

johngaltfla
Category 5
Category 5

#3990 Postby johngaltfla » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:39 pm

Here's a drone's eye view of the damage. Just wow. Tomorrow I fear will really show how bad it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGXOlDyb8bg

Link: https://youtu.be/UGXOlDyb8bg
Last edited by tolakram on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed
3 likes   

jhpigott
Category 2
Category 2

#3991 Postby jhpigott » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Mark and Jeff are about as good as they come and they have chased some crazy intense storms both here and abroad. It's unnerving to read their description of the damages. I imagine we will have some aerial video tomorrow that will look Andrew-esq
Last edited by jhpigott on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 likes   

johngaltfla
Category 5
Category 5

#3992 Postby johngaltfla » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:41 pm

jhpigott wrote:Mark and Jeff are about as good as they come and they have been thru some crazy intense storms both here and abroad. It's unnerving to read their description of the damages. I imagine we will have some aerial video tomorrow that will look Andew-esq

Just posted the first video I found and it is bad. I fear once they can move around the city more, the videos will get worse. :eek:
0 likes   

Hurrilurker
Category 2
Category 2

#3993 Postby Hurrilurker » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:43 pm

Wow, that is really scary, especially because that type of building -- brick school gymnasium -- is often used as shelter space.

Also impressive a drone can get such steady shots in what looks to still be somewhat windy (and probably gusty) conditions.
0 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3994 Postby AnnularCane » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Hurrilurker wrote:

Wow, that is really scary, especially because that type of building -- brick school gymnasium -- is often used as shelter space.

I know wide, expansive spaces like that are considered bad shelter in a tornado, but could that be the same in a hurricane?
0 likes   

Ken711
Category 5
Category 5

#3995 Postby Ken711 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:47 pm

0 likes   

sbcc
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3996 Postby sbcc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:49 pm

AnnularCane wrote:
Hurrilurker wrote:

I know wide, expansive spaces like that are considered bad shelter in a tornado, but could that be the same in a hurricane?

Yes, when the wind speeds are equivalent to that of a F2 or higher. Same rules apply.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3997 Postby tolakram » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:51 pm

3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

#3998 Postby supercane4867 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:52 pm

The strongest wind(at or near CAT5) at landfall probably occured somewhere between Mexico Beach and Tyndall AFB.

This region is very sparsely populated. I found a shipyard and an AF repair facility and that's about it. No human settlement it seems.

0 likes   

Wurbus
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#3999 Postby Wurbus » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:57 pm

Anyone see footage of Cape San Blas? I'm sure they were hit very hard with wind and storm surge and I'm guessing it looks a lot like Mexico Beach.
0 likes   

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#4000 Postby Blinhart » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Ken711 wrote:When will this start to rapidly decline?

It is a Cat 2 now, and might stay as a strong TS all the way to the UK, so won't decline much more from where it is right now.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “2018”