WPAC: HECTOR - Post-Tropical

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Eric Webb
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: CPAC: HECTOR - Hurricane

#681 Postby Eric Webb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:55 pm

It’s still beyond me why the CPHC is expecting Hector to significantly weaken the next 2-3 days
2 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#682 Postby Sciencerocks » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:02 pm

Question. Let say this hits Japan as a historically powerful Typhoon and they retired it. Would it be removed from the eastern pacific names list?
0 likes   

Eric Webb
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#683 Postby Eric Webb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:05 pm

Sciencerocks wrote:Question. Let say this hits Japan as a historically powerful Typhoon and they retired it. Would it be removed from the eastern pacific names list?

The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) can grant that request if Japan so desires
1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#684 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:06 pm

Eric Webb wrote:It’s still beyond me why the CPHC is expecting Hector to significantly weaken the next 2-3 days

That's how it is sometimes with the CPHC. The problem with EPAC basin crossers, is that we have great and quality forecasts from the NHC and then as soon as the systems cross into the CPAC everything becomes confusing. Occasionally they have some eyebrow raising things as we saw in 2014/2015.
Last edited by Kingarabian on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotoSans
Category 5
Category 5

#685 Postby NotoSans » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:06 pm

Sciencerocks wrote:Question. Let say this hits Japan as a historically powerful Typhoon and they retired it. Would it be removed from the eastern pacific names list?

I don't think there's a mechanism for Japan to submit retirement requests for the EPAC. And the JMA never submit such requests in the WPAC as well.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC and NWS products.

syryquil
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#686 Postby syryquil » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:14 pm

"Unfortunately, the Hurricane Hunter mission had to cut short due to
mechanical concerns, and there will not be additional data for the
afternoon. The next mission into Hector will be this evening." From the newest discussion.
4 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#687 Postby NotSparta » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:19 pm

Eric Webb wrote:It’s still beyond me why the CPHC is expecting Hector to significantly weaken the next 2-3 days

Probably due to the dry air that has evidently been weakening Hector the past few days
2 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Eric Webb
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#688 Postby Eric Webb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:21 pm

The next plane is scheduled to make a center fix by 530z or a little after midnight tonight. The timing is on the border of whether I will decide to stay up for it or just get up early to check haha.
4 likes   

Eric Webb
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#689 Postby Eric Webb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:28 pm

NotSparta wrote:

Probably due to the dry air that has evidently been weakening Hector the past few days

The dry air may have theoretically capped Hector but it’s only intensified further the past few days I don’t see their forecast for weakening to a cat 2 unless Hector experiences at least 15-20 KT of shear which seems unlikely. I expect the intensity errors from the CPHC will probably be comparable to the findings of the 2002 Kossin study on annulars which noted the NHC was biased 15-20 KT too low at day 5 w/ annular hurricanes.
3 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#690 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:29 pm

syryquil wrote:"Unfortunately, the Hurricane Hunter mission had to cut short due to
mechanical concerns, and there will not be additional data for the
afternoon. The next mission into Hector will be this evening." From the newest discussion.

Thinking it got rocked on the first center fix. 30kt on the dropsonde would indicate very rough conditions, would it not?
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#691 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Eric Webb wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

The dry air may have theoretically capped Hector but it’s only intensified further the past few days I don’t see their forecast for weakening to a cat 2 unless Hector experiences at least 15-20 KT of shear which seems unlikely. I expect the intensity errors from the CPHC will probably be comparable to the findings of the 2002 Kossin study on annulars which noted the NHC was biased 15-20 KT too low at day 5 w/ annular hurricanes.

Think he's being sarcastic :D
7 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Eric Webb
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#692 Postby Eric Webb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:35 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
Eric Webb wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

Think he's being sarcastic :D

Yeah it’s hard to read sarcasm when you’re not face-to-face with someone. Hopefully Hector can find a way to pass south of the 180E/20N benchmark down the road and tap into the 28.5-29C+ rocket fuel, of course if it encounters this significantly warmer water it’ll probably lose annular characteristics.
4 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#693 Postby NDG » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:51 pm

What is interesting is that Hector has been able to become such a strong Cat 4 hurricane tracking over SSTs only near 26.5-27C telling us that surface waters don't have to be that warm as long as there's perfect atmospheric conditions and the atmosphere is not too warm.
8 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#694 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:04 pm

NDG wrote:What is interesting is that Hector has been able to become such a strong Cat 4 hurricane tracking over SSTs only near 26.5-27C telling us that surface waters don't have to be that warm as long as there's perfect atmospheric conditions and the atmosphere is not too warm.

Yup. I can see Hector in current annular phase being used in future papers and research.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Dylan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#695 Postby Dylan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:05 pm

NDG wrote:What is interesting is that Hector has been able to become such a strong Cat 4 hurricane tracking over SSTs only near 26.5-27C telling us that surface waters don't have to be that warm as long as there's perfect atmospheric conditions and the atmosphere is not too warm.

Yeah, but it’s not surprising at all that it’s gone annular, since the majority of hurricanes develop annular characteristics in strictly 25-28C waters. I don’t see any reason why Hector would see any significant fluctuations in intensity over the next several days.

I also suspect that models are underestimating the mid-level ridge to the north, since Hectors outflow will likely enhance it, similar to Irma last year. You can only write equations for so many things that a model can handle.
9 likes   
Georges('98), Allison('01), Isidore('02), Lili('02), Frances('04) Ivan('04), Cindy('05), Katrina('05), Rita('05), Gustav('08), Isaac('12), Matthew('16), Harvey('17), Irma('17), Nate ('17), Ida ('21).

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#696 Postby NotSparta » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:21 pm

The graphic shows Hector as a Cat 5 :double:

0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#697 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:22 pm

Steady WNW movement at the moment.

CI# /Pressure/ Vmax
6.9 / 928.7mb/137.4kt

Final T# Adj T# Raw T#
6.5 6.6 6.6

Estimated radius of max. wind based on IR : 21 km

Center Temp : +16.3C Cloud Region Temp : -69.9C

Scene Type : EYE
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#698 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:33 pm

One good looking eye, very warm. Nothing but Ocean below.

5 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#699 Postby RL3AO » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:43 pm

NotSparta wrote:The graphic shows Hector as a Cat 5 :double:

It's a bug in the software that shows a 135kt hurricane as a category 5 when it's still a cat 4.
2 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#700 Postby Cyclenall » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:56 pm

Eric Webb wrote:There’s still a lot of uncertainty regarding the long term future of Hector as it approaches the dateline. Some guidance has shifted in the direction of the storm going out to sea and dissipating sooner by day 12 or so but Hector may still be able to beat Ioke’s ACE record without getting stuck under the ridge east of Japan, if it takes that route not out of the realm of possibility Hector accrues triple digit ACE.

Seeing the latest Euro long range is like running downstairs on Christmas morning, jogging to the christmas tree, and out of the tree a giant fist punches you square in the face knocking you over. What an AWFUL solution! Pray to whatever deity that doesn't verify because that would be lame. What a waste heaven forbid. Another couple of runs of that effluence and my time watching the Pacific will be over for the remainder of August.
2 likes   

Return to “2018”