ATL: BARRY - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: ATL: BARRY - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#1981 Postby CajunMama » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:23 am

Woke up this morning (after finally going to bed at 4am) to standing water in the street. Hopefully the training rain slacks off and the water can go down.
2 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#1982 Postby PTrackerLA » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:26 am

We got.hammered all night long with squalls. My road was also flooded but has just drained off. I'm measuring 7" at my house since yesterday morning. Unfortunately it looks like some of the flooding forecasts will materialize with more on the way through the day.
2 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1983 Postby wxman57 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:37 am

Barry's remnant low is south of Shreveport this morning. Only 5-10 mph winds near it. I was seeing a 35kt (TS strength) wind in that blob of storms over the NW Gulf but winds there are down to 30kts. Not really circulating into Barry, though. They're just drifting slowly eastward and weakening. I don't see anything to suggest Barry is still a TS (or even a TD). Squalls in the Gulf aren't really part of Barry now, and those winds are dropping. I think NHC will downgrade Barry next advisory. Still moderate rain for LA today/Monday.
0 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#1984 Postby dexterlabio » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:38 am

Barry as a hurricane kinda reminds me of Hurricane Ingrid who even made it to Cat2.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#1985 Postby ronjon » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:12 am

BobHarlem wrote:That persistent area of convection in the Northwest Gulf explains what the UKMet was picking up on a few days ago. That's something I'm going to remember in future storms that haven't formed yet. Mainly, UK is more sensitive to convection than the others, and it gave a pretty strong indicator something like that would happen vs the other models. I don't think it applies to more well formed systems as much. It's always interesting when models starkly disagree, sometimes they wind up being both right if you look at the storm as the whole rather than just the center of circulation.

Seriously, spot the storm in the IR below. What would untrained eyes say?

I'm guessing the midlevel center near Texas coast decoupled from the low level center, if they were ever aligned. I don't think in its entire history the 500 mb center was aligned with the LLC due to the persistent northerly shear. In this sense the FV3 GFS outperformed the Euro and UKMET as it forecast the northerly shear correctly.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1986 Postby Steve » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:37 am

Still raining (still dreaming -Hendrix)

Been raining for about 15 hours here, but it's all between drip drop and light/moderate every once in a while. Tornado warnings are going off NE of Baton Rouge, as there have been 3 in the last 45 minutes or so. Flooding is occurring near Hattiesburg up to Laurel and in SW LA. Looks like we'll see a few more bands and another 2"+ or so today, but it looks to be spread over long enough of a period that we shouldn't see much flooding hopefully. I'll post back if anything changes. This is Day 5 of at least effects from Barry/92L, so that's been cool.
https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.p ... X&loop=yes
0 likes   

jabman98
Category 1
Category 1

#1987 Postby jabman98 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:22 am

Hurricane_Apu wrote:
LarryWx wrote:I was watching Live PD in Lafayette, LA, and I saw there had been quite a few trees down.

No surprise. Pleasantly surprised I still have power. Sustained winds here have not been all that high, but still getting big gusts off and on. Can hear them coming from a long way off and they are loud...

I'm in Houston. We had one outer band come through last night just after 6:00 p.m. There were some significant wind gusts and some rain but I didn't even hear any thunder. It was significant enough that the power got knocked out and was out for about an hour and a half. We had about two tenths of an inch of rain in my rain gauge. Can't believe we had a power outage from Barry over in Houston!
1 likes   

weunice
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1988 Postby weunice » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:27 am

I have had training tornado warned cells all morning in Denham Springs, LA. The third will be upon us in about 10 minutes. a
1 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1989 Postby Steve » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:26 am

Hattiesburg looks to be ground zero for today. They're up to 10-12" for the storm with 3-5" today along with flood and flash flood warnings, and it looks like several more inches are taking aim that way. Be careful up there.

https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.p ... x&loop=yes
0 likes   

Visioen
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1990 Postby Visioen » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:38 am

ronjon wrote:
BobHarlem wrote:That persistent area of convection in the Northwest Gulf explains what the UKMet was picking up on a few days ago. That's something I'm going to remember in future storms that haven't formed yet. Mainly, UK is more sensitive to convection than the others, and it gave a pretty strong indicator something like that would happen vs the other models. I don't think it applies to more well formed systems as much. It's always interesting when models starkly disagree, sometimes they wind up being both right if you look at the storm as the whole rather than just the center of circulation.

Seriously, spot the storm in the IR below. What would untrained eyes say?

I'm guessing the midlevel center near Texas coast decoupled from the low level center, if they were ever aligned. I don't think in its entire history the 500 mb center was aligned with the LLC due to the persistent northerly shear. In this sense the FV3 GFS outperformed the Euro and UKMET as it forecast the northerly shear correctly.

I don't think you can call that a "midlevel center", there is no circulation associated with it, it's just convection as far as I can tell.
0 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1991 Postby AnnularCane » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:12 pm

I see there's a tornado watch out now, but I don't remember a landfalling hurricane without a watch being issued at the time of the storm's approach. I know the upgrade to hurricane was last minute, but I've seen tornado watches with tropical storms as well.
0 likes   

SEASON_CANCELED
Category 3
Category 3

#1992 Postby SEASON_CANCELED » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:21 pm

Is Barry reforming over the Gulf? :?:

Am i seeing things?? Is the center shifting south?
3 likes   
i am a big stupid ugly moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt stinks and i like to kiss my own butt

Ntxwx
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1993 Postby Ntxwx » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:40 pm

SEASON_CANCELED wrote:Is Barry reforming over the Gulf? :?:

I’ve been watching this for the last 24 hours, definitely looks suspect off the coast of Galveston. I’m watching closely to see if this can fully redevelop. The question then is, where does it go? TX? LA? Mexico? :lol:
3 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1994 Postby Frank P » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:44 pm

Ntxwx wrote:
SEASON_CANCELED wrote:Is Barry reforming over the Gulf? :?:

I’ve been watching this for the last 24 hours, definitely looks suspect off the coast of Galveston. I’m watching closely to see if this can fully redevelop. The question then is, where does it go? TX? LA? Mexico? :lol:

been watching too but don't really see any signs of a low developing in that area, or at least I can't tell by looking at the sat loops.. it does hint that it might have detached from Barry
0 likes   

SouthernMet
Category 3
Category 3

#1995 Postby SouthernMet » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:45 pm

Looks like another heavy training band is setting up South-North moving into New Orleans. :uarrow: I too, am keeping an eye on the western Gulf to see if this feature eventually is dragged in as remnants of Barry, or if it sticks around and tries to redevelop.
0 likes   
Nothing that SouthernMet posts, is an official forecast,nor does it reflect views of STORM2K.. SouthernMet is just adding to the great discussions on STORM2K.. Refer to NWS for official forecasts.

davidiowx
Category 1
Category 1

#1996 Postby davidiowx » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:45 pm

I don't see anything remotely close to organizing down in the GoM south of Galveston. All I see is convection build up that will likely die out and come back over the next day or two.
1 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1997 Postby Frank P » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:48 pm

bouys in area show lots of SW/SSW and S/SSE winds... but nothing coming out of the east or north... no evidence of a surface low
1 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1998 Postby psyclone » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:51 pm

the convection in the gulf is probably a function of dry continental air from the northwest lifting gulf air....almost like a dryline. it should throttle back once Barry's circulation gets far enough north and continues to fizzle. hopefully the worst remains at sea. Quite a bit of training over LA and MS today.
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1999 Postby wxman57 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:16 pm

Looks more like "Trof Barry" in the obs. There is no well defined LLC, so how is it a TS? One ship south of LCH has a 45kt wind in a squall, but does that mean we upgrade squalls to tropical storms? This has always bugged me - the NHC should use the same criteria to upgrade as they do for downgrade. If there's no circulation, it's not a TS. It's simply an area of squalls that can be covered by marine warnings. Oh well...

As for Barry redeveloping in the Gulf - nope. Pressures out there are relatively high. There's a trof extending from NW Louisiana to SE TX. Maybe it'll become the focus for some rain today. Very dry across Houston. I've measured only 0.1" in the last 3 weeks.

4 likes   

crimi481
Category 2
Category 2

#2000 Postby crimi481 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:21 pm

Barry and his twin in w, gulf, have been playing ping pong with energy. May be 1 reason Barry lost his punch
Been attached, like a hybrid system. But I am no pro. a guess
0 likes   

Return to “2019”