ATL: BARRY - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: BARRY - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#1921 Postby supercane4867 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:03 pm

MississippiWx wrote:The good thing about recon data is it doesn’t care about opinions. Barry was a hurricane and there is plenty of evidence to prove it. Coastal Louisiana residents on the east side of the center would be happy to enlighten anyone one who doubts this was a hurricane. They have been battered for 24 hours straight by high winds and surge.

Technically, recon didn't find any >64kt surface winds as mentioned in the discussion. Highest flight level wind at 850mb layer is only 72kt which converts to ~58kt at surface. SFMR readings were recorded very near the coast which could've been inflated somewhat. The upgrade was based on assumption that the strongest winds may not have been sampled. There were probably a few small areas of transient hurricane force winds existed early this morning but I'm not sure they are representative of the actual intensity of the storm

(talking in academic perspective not regarding to the effects or damage potential)
Last edited by supercane4867 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#1922 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:03 pm

Wait Barry became a hurricane!? Blink and you missed it! :lol:
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Hurricane_Apu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1923 Postby Hurricane_Apu » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:11 pm

New Iberia currently has winds 45 gusting to 60. Play time is just about over in Lafayette...
2 likes   

Innotech
Category 5
Category 5

#1924 Postby Innotech » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:14 pm

just woke up to some pretty good gusts and slightly heavier rain but still nothing I would call really dangerous or threatening. feels pretty good out here in Youngsville
1 likes   

Snowman67
Category 2
Category 2

#1925 Postby Snowman67 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:24 pm

Deep convection starting to move into south central Louisiana.
0 likes   
Any forecast I make is based on my opinion only. Please refer to the NWS or NHC for official forecasts.

plasticup
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1926 Postby plasticup » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:35 pm

MississippiWx wrote:Barry was a hurricane and there is plenty of evidence to prove it.

Can you share some of it?
2 likes   
Eyes: Emily '86, Dean '89, Felix '95, Gert '99, Fabian '03, Humberto '19, Paulette '20

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1927 Postby wxman57 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:42 pm

supercane4867 wrote:
MississippiWx wrote:The good thing about recon data is it doesn’t care about opinions. Barry was a hurricane and there is plenty of evidence to prove it. Coastal Louisiana residents on the east side of the center would be happy to enlighten anyone one who doubts this was a hurricane. They have been battered for 24 hours straight by high winds and surge.

Technically, recon didn't find any >64kt surface winds as mentioned in the discussion. Highest flight level wind at 850mb layer is only 72kt which converts to ~58kt at surface. SFMR readings were recorded very near the coast which could've been inflated somewhat. The upgrade was based on assumption that the strongest winds may not have been sampled. There were probably a few small areas of transient hurricane force winds existed early this morning but I'm not sure they are representative of the actual intensity of the storm

(talking in academic perspective not regarding to the effects or damage potential)

Good points, I agree. No hurricane-strength winds were observed by recon. Yeah, there could have been stronger winds that the plane didn't measure, but I think upgrades should be based on observations, not suppositions.

Note that it doesn't take hurricane strength winds to cause damage. 50-65 mph winds can cause plenty of damage (wind and high tides).
5 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1928 Postby tolakram » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:02 pm

saved radar image
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1929 Postby tolakram » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:03 pm

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Innotech
Category 5
Category 5

#1930 Postby Innotech » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:11 pm

Lafayette finally getting some rain bands. the center seems to have gone over so there wasnt much until now. most rain has been concentrated eastward but its our turn.
1 likes   

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#1931 Postby Ubuntwo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:13 pm

For anyone doubting this was a hurricane, this was the NHC’s quite reasonable justification:
Between 11-12Z, the National Ocean Service station at Eugene
Island, Louisiana, reported sustained winds of 62 kt and a peak
gust of 74 kt at an elevation of about 10 m. Doppler radar winds
from the Slidell WSR-88D suggested surface winds of 60-65 kt as
well.
4 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

daromaine
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1932 Postby daromaine » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:21 pm

Can anyone tell me if we'll get anything in Abbeville? It's currently raining a little and it's really the first real rain today. A little breezy but nothing to brag about. Should we expect anything later or are we good???
0 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#1933 Postby PTrackerLA » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:23 pm

After hours in the very calm center of Barry winds picked up in earnest about an hour or so ago with steady tropical showers. New Iberia airport which is about 15 miles ESE of me is reporting 45mph sustained gusting to 60mph. We're probably in mid 30's for gusts now so the stronger winds are encroaching. Watching the radar carefully for how the inland rains will set up and this squall due south of Lafayette has me concerned due to the lightning in it.
1 likes   

Hurricane_Apu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1934 Postby Hurricane_Apu » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:23 pm

The fun has just begun...

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/excess_rain.shtml

Steady rain here in Lafayette, although oddly the winds died down a bit as the heavy rain started (there were a few gusts to ~50 earlier).
1 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#1935 Postby PTrackerLA » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Power outages are slowly building in Louisiana with roughly 130,000 customers out as of 415pm

0 likes   

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1936 Postby BigB0882 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:37 pm

The wind has really calmed down in BTR but it looks like the rain may finally pick up over the next few hours. We have really dodged a bullet so far. Hopefully the GFS is wrong with their QPF for our area. They are the only model showing that.
0 likes   

weunice
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1937 Postby weunice » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:45 pm

BigB0882 wrote:The wind has really calmed down in BTR but it looks like the rain may finally pick up over the next few hours. We have really dodged a bullet so far. Hopefully the GFS is wrong with their QPF for our area. They are the only model showing that.

I think the next iteration of the GFS will fall in line with the rest and bring the greater rain totals to the west. I don't want to "call it" but the rivers are well below their projections currently. Any revisions to the crest forecasts, I believe, will be down. People around here are already calling it the "great mist". I hope the celebration is not premature. The bulk of the moisture still has not moved inland and, as we can see with what happened in Mobile, it can come in well east of the center.
1 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1938 Postby MGC » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:56 pm

Rain has quit here in Pass Christian. I've measured 3 1/2 inches for Barry. Hope everyone in Barry's path stays safe.......MGC
1 likes   

weunice
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1939 Postby weunice » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:28 pm

weunice wrote:
BigB0882 wrote:The wind has really calmed down in BTR but it looks like the rain may finally pick up over the next few hours. We have really dodged a bullet so far. Hopefully the GFS is wrong with their QPF for our area. They are the only model showing that.

I think the next iteration of the GFS will fall in line with the rest and bring the greater rain totals to the west. I don't want to "call it" but the rivers are well below their projections currently. Any revisions to the crest forecasts, I believe, will be down. People around here are already calling it the "great mist". I hope the celebration is not premature. The bulk of the moisture still has not moved inland and, as we can see with what happened in Mobile, it can come in well east of the center.
Aaaaandd color me kinda wrong. Totals are down and to the west some but the GFS hits the Baton Rouge area with fairly significant rain totals (just not 15-20").

0 likes   

Nederlander
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1940 Postby Nederlander » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:51 pm

Landfall aaaaand the thread dies...
4 likes   

Return to “2019”