ATL: JERRY - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Emmett_Brown
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: JERRY - Models

#261 Postby Emmett_Brown » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:01 pm

Interesting that the 12z GFS starts shows initialized with 988 mb pressure (pretty much correct). It then weakens it steadily from here due to shear. But, Jerry has been rapidly intensifying this afternoon.
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#262 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:29 pm

Emmett_Brown wrote:Interesting that the 12z GFS starts shows initialized with 988 mb pressure (pretty much correct). It then weakens it steadily from here due to shear. But, Jerry has been rapidly intensifying this afternoon.

Yeah models likely over doing the shear. Euro initialized 20 mb to high... going to have to wait until 18z or 00z runs. Models should have all up to date data.
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

caneman
Category 5
Category 5

#263 Postby caneman » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:02 pm

crm6360 wrote:
caneman wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:Honestly, the ICON showing a more western track just gives me more faith a track OTS is likely and, if we're lucky, Bermuda might also be able to avoid this one. I wouldn't be surprised if the NAVGEM has outperformed the ICON in terms of track.

I wouldn't say that. I was a big ICON naysayer but if memory serves me correct, it sniffed out Dorian and Humberto eventual tracks earlier on than any of the other models.

icon is sniffing deuces, that's about it.

Care to offer a more thought out idea-reasoning?
0 likes   

jconsor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#264 Postby jconsor » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:10 pm

More relevant than whether a model initializes close to the correct pressure, is to what degree does it show vertical stacking (i.e. position of 500 mb vort vs. 850 mb vort). A vertically stacked system will follow deeper layer steering currents (i.e it will be influenced more by winds higher up in the atmosphere), regardless of what pressure the model shows.

Most models will have difficulty showing a low enough pressure with a small tropical cyclone like Jerry. We saw this issue persistently with Dorian.

Aric Dunn wrote:
Emmett_Brown wrote:Interesting that the 12z GFS starts shows initialized with 988 mb pressure (pretty much correct). It then weakens it steadily from here due to shear. But, Jerry has been rapidly intensifying this afternoon.

Yeah models likely over doing the shear. Euro initialized 20 mb to high... going to have to wait until 18z or 00z runs. Models should have all up to date data.
5 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#265 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:15 pm

jconsor wrote:More relevant than whether a model initializes close to the correct pressure, is to what degree does it show vertical stacking (i.e. position of 500 mb vort vs. 850 mb vort). A vertically stacked system will follow deeper layer steering currents (i.e it will be influenced more by winds higher up in the atmosphere), regardless of what pressure the model shows.

Most models will have difficulty showing a low enough pressure with a small tropical cyclone like Jerry. We saw this issue persistently with Dorian.

Aric Dunn wrote:

That is also important. And as far as i can tell none have a vertically coherent jerry.
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

chris_fit
Category 5
Category 5

#266 Postby chris_fit » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:30 pm

Most of the 12Z EPS are out to Sea...

0 likes   

Kat5
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#267 Postby Kat5 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:47 pm

We might be talking about a fish next weekend.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#268 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:49 pm

Wait for 18z and 00z. Gulfstream data and recon data will be in there. Should be interesting
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#269 Postby AutoPenalti » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:09 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:Wait for 18z and 00z. Gulfstream data and recon data will be in there. Should be interesting

Not so sure, the difference will be minimal and will probably only reassure the idea of an OTS scenario.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

CreponChris
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#270 Postby CreponChris » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:13 pm

Just a few things - I hope non-guidance and non-vmax plots are allowed here. If not, I'll take down the first 3 GIFs.

GFS 00Z Peak intensity gust in mph (0.25deg as are all GFS here)

GFS 06Z Peak intensity gust in mph

GFS 12Z Peak intensity gust in mph

EPS VMAX for 1909 00Z

Lastly, these are Global+Regional intensity trend plots. Check out the difference between
12Z and

18Z

~Chris C
3 likes   

tgenius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#271 Postby tgenius » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Storm models seem to be heavily pointing to re-curve, however as was discussed on the discord, the 18z model runs will have the GIV data in it so that will give a better understanding if everyone is on board the recurve train still.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#272 Postby gatorcane » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:50 pm

tgenius wrote:Storm models seem to be heavily pointing to re-curve, however as was discussed on the discord, the 18z model runs will have the GIV data in it so that will give a better understanding if everyone is on board the recurve train still.

Usually there are no significant changes in modelling when this data is inputted.
2 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#273 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:54 pm

gatorcane wrote:
tgenius wrote:Storm models seem to be heavily pointing to re-curve, however as was discussed on the discord, the 18z model runs will have the GIV data in it so that will give a better understanding if everyone is on board the recurve train still.

Usually there are no significant changes in modelling when this data is inputted.

It happens quite a bit. absolutely necessary and have seen the data refine a track or completely screw it up just as much as the other over the years.
0 likes   

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#274 Postby GeneratorPower » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:58 pm

gatorcane wrote:

Usually there are no significant changes to modeling within 10 days, extra data or not. It's unbelievable. I went back and looked at the forecast models for Humberto. If you look at the general modeling, throwing out individual oddball runs and just looking at the general idea, the forecasted position of Humberto and the other major features nearby were almost identical at 24 hours lead-time and 240 hours lead-time. I gotta admit, it makes the hobby of weather watching less inspiring and takes all the surprise out of it. It just isn't fun to model watch anymore because it never budges. Might as well come by every 10 days and see what the next 10 days is gonna bring, which is frankly boring. Sure, there are bound to be exceptions but I haven't seen a major model bust in a very long time. Like 10 years ago. Maybe.
1 likes   

caneman
Category 5
Category 5

#275 Postby caneman » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:04 pm

GeneratorPower wrote:
gatorcane wrote:

Usually there are no significant changes to modeling within 10 days, extra data or not. It's unbelievable. I went back and looked at the forecast models for Humberto. If you look at the general modeling, throwing out individual oddball runs and just looking at the general idea, the forecasted position of Humberto and the other major features nearby were almost identical at 24 hours lead-time and 240 hours lead-time. I gotta admit, it makes the hobby of weather watching less inspiring and takes all the surprise out of it. It just isn't fun to model watch anymore because it never budges. Might as well come by every 10 days and see what the next 10 days is gonna bring, which is frankly boring. Sure, there are bound to be exceptions but I haven't seen a major model bust in a very long time. Like 10 years ago. Maybe.

I'm not sure what you are referencing??? Both Dorian and Humberto were model to go over Florida and obviously didnt by a long shot. Those were pretty big model busts in my mind
4 likes   

Emmett_Brown
Category 5
Category 5

#276 Postby Emmett_Brown » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:26 pm

Regarding how modeling changes with upper air flight data; how about that big SAL plume that is chasing Jerry... do the models have a good grasp on that, or would they only see the SAL with the sampling? I am guessing the added data will help...
1 likes   

Emmett_Brown
Category 5
Category 5

#277 Postby Emmett_Brown » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:28 pm

caneman wrote:
GeneratorPower wrote:
gatorcane wrote:

I'm not sure what you are referencing??? Both Dorian and Humberto were model to go over Florida and obviously didnt by a long shot. Those were pretty big model busts in my mind

Those were big busts. I was in the 3 day cone for both of those, and in the past, the 3 day cone has meant seeing some action... but those cones both moved big time just 3 days before the predicted event.
1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#278 Postby LarryWx » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:29 pm

The 18Z ICON is well NE of the 12Z run suggesting the 12Z was a fluke run.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#279 Postby LarryWx » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:46 pm

18Z GFS is a little to the right of the 12Z. The fat lady wants to sing as regards a CONUS threat and I don't blame her because I'm seeing no trends in that direction, but it is still a bit too early for that imo.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#280 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Euro 1000mb for 18z sheesh
2 likes   

Return to “2019”