ATL: KAREN - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

WxEp
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: ATL: KAREN - Models

#841 Postby WxEp » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:58 pm

Ironically now that Karen has weakened to its current state and activity has dropped on this site, at least through 48 hours, the 00Z GFS has Karen the strongest it has shown in any of its runs from the last few days based on vorticity. Strengthens it to 1004mb.
6 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

SouthFLTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#842 Postby SouthFLTropics » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:04 pm

WxEp wrote:Ironically now that Karen has weakened to its current state and activity has dropped on this site, at least through 48 hours, the 00Z GFS has Karen the strongest it has shown in any of its runs from the last few days based on vorticity. Strengthens it to 1004mb.

Karen and the GFS are definitely playing games with all of us and the NHC.
0 likes   
Fourth Generation Floridian...With lots of storm knowledge passed down from my elders...

Personal Storm History: David 79, Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05, Matthew 16, Irma 17

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#843 Postby LarryWx » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:31 pm

0Z Legacy: furthest west yet of any run by good margin though it is weak
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Weatherboy1
Category 5
Category 5

#844 Postby Weatherboy1 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:28 am

Looks like 06Z GFS brings Karen (or whatever is left of her) all the way to just off the FL east coast, for what that’s worth
1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#845 Postby LarryWx » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:16 am

Weatherboy1 wrote:Looks like 06Z GFS brings Karen (or whatever is left of her) all the way to just off the FL east coast, for what that’s worth

The 6Z GFS is the 2nd in the last 3 that technically per the high resolution run that I have access to has a FL LF of a very weak and tiny closed sfc low meaning there’s still a potentially dangerous path if this were to be stronger than models are showing. Whereas the 18Z had it at Cape Canaveral moving NNW, the 6Z has it just N of WPB moving W.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#846 Postby sma10 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:54 am

LarryWx wrote:
Weatherboy1 wrote:Looks like 06Z GFS brings Karen (or whatever is left of her) all the way to just off the FL east coast, for what that’s worth

The 6Z GFS is the 2nd in the last 3 that technically per the high resolution run that I have access to has a FL LF of a very weak and tiny closed sfc low meaning there’s still a potentially dangerous path if this were to be stronger than models are showing. Whereas the 18Z had it at Cape Canaveral moving NNW, the 6Z has it just N of WPB moving W.

Were these at the same time horizon? Or was the 6z "landfall" quicker/earlier?
0 likes   

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#847 Postby Jr0d » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:01 am

LarryWx wrote:

Definately still an interest to the Bahamas and East Coast. What the ULL does is going to be crucial for the path of Karen. They maybe over developing the genesis of the Carribean system and under developing Karen about 180 hours out.

Until Karen turns west and the ULL does what it's does, I'm going to still consider the model guidance more uncertain than normal.

I still think a 10% chance of an east coast strike is about right, low but still enough to keep a watchful eye on Karen.
1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#848 Postby LarryWx » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:01 am

sma10 wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

Were these at the same time horizon? Or was the 6z "landfall" quicker/earlier?

The 6Z “LF” is 18 hours later: 12Z on 10/4 vs 18Z on 10/3.
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#849 Postby toad strangler » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:16 am

12z GFS is once again bringing very weak Karen remnants right to the door of the C FL coast.
1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#850 Postby LarryWx » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:41 am

toad strangler wrote:12z GFS is once again bringing very weak Karen remnants right to the door of the C FL coast.

12Z Legacy is well west of prior runs and has the remnants coming into N FL at 168 (12Z on 10/3).
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#851 Postby LarryWx » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:14 pm

In contrast, the 12Z Euro is well to the east of the GFS at 96 and already almost stalling. It is merely more than a wave then.

Edit: At 168, when the GFS has the remnant sfc low at Melbourne (not quite closed on this run), the Euro has the remnants only 1,000 miles E of the GFS. Can you say "model disagreement"? OMG :lol:
0 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#852 Postby sma10 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:13 pm

LarryWx wrote:In contrast, the 12Z Euro is well to the east of the GFS at 96 and already almost stalling. It is merely more than a wave then.

Edit: At 168, when the GFS has the remnant sfc low at Melbourne (not quite closed on this run), the Euro has the remnants only 1,000 miles E of the GFS. Can you say "model disagreement"? OMG :lol:

I guess maybe you have to side a little bit more with the Euro? I know on the discussion board there are those saying "Karen's back" and "she's about ready to take off" ... but to my eyes she looks terrible.
1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#853 Postby LarryWx » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:30 pm

sma10 wrote:
LarryWx wrote:In contrast, the 12Z Euro is well to the east of the GFS at 96 and already almost stalling. It is merely more than a wave then.

I guess maybe you have to side a little bit more with the Euro? I know on the discussion board there are those saying "Karen's back" and "she's about ready to take off" ... but to my eyes she looks terrible.

As I see it, it all depends on where the LLC is now. If it has really gotten tucked underneath the edge of the main convection like Aric said, then it is at least temporarily getting better stacked and could strengthen soon. But we know that a lot of times these are false alarms. So, we'll see.

Regarding the Euro, I don't know as it has been downright awful due to inconsistency with both strength and track. After being a western outlier, it is now on the eastern side of the models!
Meanwhile, the 12Z EPS has only a couple of members having a TC 1003 mb or stronger! those in the E GOM late aren't from Karen from what I can tell.
1 likes   

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#854 Postby Jr0d » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:26 pm

Just going off the GFS 250mb winds and 250/850mb shear forecast, the 'pocket' for favorable conditions is just south and east of where Karen is forecast to track. If the ULL tracks a little further west than forecast, Karen could find herself in a much better environment than the current forecast.

The 2 things I will be watching is the ULL and where Karen ends up after the loop. Until the loop is complete I think it would be a bit short sighted to write off Karen.
3 likes   

rbaker55
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#855 Postby rbaker55 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:37 pm

Jr0d wrote:Just going off the GFS 250mb winds and 250/850mb shear forecast, the 'pocket' for favorable conditions is just south and east of where Karen is forecast to track. If the ULL tracks a little further west than forecast, Karen could find herself in a much better environment than the current forecast.

The 2 things I will be watching is the ULL and where Karen ends up after the loop. Until the loop is complete I think it would be a bit short sighted to write off Karen.

It may be in the next 24 hours the loop will start as of now looks to moving NE, but the ULL is moving towards the west, and has left a huge area of moisture in its wake.
1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#856 Postby LarryWx » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:35 pm

18Z GFS & Legacy recurve remnants 100 miles E of Cape Canaveral on 10/3.
2 likes   

CreponChris
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#857 Postby CreponChris » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:23 pm

18Z Guidance

00Z EPS. Sorry I'm late and will try to get at least the 12Z animation to you all tonight, maybe the 06/18 too.

Edit: Am often too busy to even watch the animated product while actually putting it together. Wow, look at that track... I don't know if it's "weird" or not, or just what you get when a TC is very very weak and disorganized and models can't really compute a solid trajectory? Or neither.

~Christopher
0 likes   

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#858 Postby kevin » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:39 am

With Karen gone it's time to look at the next possible threat. When we look at the end of the GFS runs, all 4 operational members show the formation of a new TC in the Gulf (Melissa?) around the 9/10th of October. The latest run is the strongest one so far and makes landfall on the 13th of October in Florida. Of course way too far out to make this a significant situation at the moment. But certainly something watch the coming week/weeks. I have this feeling that the hurricane season still has a major surprise in store for us in October.

1 likes   

HURRICANELONNY
Category 5
Category 5

#859 Postby HURRICANELONNY » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:58 am

Good old GFS- Get Florida Soon :roll:
From nws miami:
Taking a look at 200mb, the GFS shows a TUTT across the area for
most of the week, if not all of the week. This should help to
keep the area quiet when it comes to tropical development. This
is particularly meaningful as the remnants of Karen move this way