ATL: ALPHA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: ALPHA - Subtropical Storm - Discussion

#121 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:37 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
HurricaneEnzo wrote:https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/1306998290811154438

Apparently JB isn't an Alpha fan.....

I've learned by now to ignore pretty much anything Bastardi says about tropical cyclones. He puts his politics first when it comes to TC forecasting.

To add, none of the reasons he's listed are reasons that have ever been considered, now or in the past, to not name a tropical cyclone. He knows this, he just doesn't care.
2 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#122 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:41 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
HurricaneEnzo wrote:https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/1306998290811154438

I've learned by now to ignore pretty much anything Bastardi says about tropical cyclones. He puts his politics first when it comes to TC forecasting.

To add, none of the reasons he's listed are reasons that have ever been considered, now or in the past, to not name a tropical cyclone. He knows this, he just doesn't care.

It’s a Subtropical Cyclone for crying out loud! Joe B. literally makes NO SENSE anymore! :roll:
4 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Beef Stew
Category 1
Category 1

#123 Postby Beef Stew » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:43 pm

I don't check for an hour and they actually pull the trigger on 99L! I was expecting this to be classified, albeit not until post season. Good on the NHC; they're going to have enough to deal with in this year's postseason analysis as is. Alpha is/will be the first STS/TS to make landfall in Portugal in the satellite era, correct?
2 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#124 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:44 pm

Beef Stew wrote:I don't check for an hour and they actually pull the trigger on 99L! I was expecting this to be classified, albeit not until post season. Good on the NHC; they're going to have enough to deal with in this year's postseason analysis as is. Alpha is/will be the first STS/TS to make landfall in Portugal in the satellite era, correct?

That is correct.
2 likes   

TheAustinMan
Category 5
Category 5

#125 Postby TheAustinMan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:47 pm

The lack of warm oceanic heat content suggest that Alpha isn't your a conventional tropical cyclone, and indeed, the NHC has it "subtropical" at this time for a reason. But regardless, it's definitely not just "any old cloud", and definitely deserves the name. Convection is organized with spiral banding around a tight core, and has persisted since yesterday. Hopefully the following radar image dispels any doubts.

663 KB. Source: IPMA

Compare with Vince weakening on approach to the Iberian peninsula in 2005.

451 KB. Source: Hurricane Vince's Tropical Cyclone Report
7 likes   
ImageImageImage
Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

HurricaneEnzo
Category 2
Category 2

#126 Postby HurricaneEnzo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:51 pm

BYG Jacob wrote:
tiger_deF wrote:You can tell what circles JB runs in when the comments are full of people circlejerking about NHC's climate change "agenda"

His Twitter posts are just as bad looking at them. I think a new rule should be we don't quote him on here anymore. (Not a shot at you Enzo, just for future reference)

None taken. I posted it strictly for entertainment purposes. Figured everyone would get a kick out of it. I'm good with a rule banning any of his tweets being shared :lol: :lol: :lol: This clearly meets the sub-tropical criteria and was classified as such. Right call NHC!
2 likes   
Bertha 96' - Fran 96' - Bonnie 98' - Dennis 99' - Floyd 99' - Isabel 03' - Alex 04' - Ophelia 05' - Irene 11' - Arthur 14' - Matthew 16' - Florence 18' - Dorian 19' - Isaias 20' (countless other tropical storms and Hurricane swipes)

I am not a Professional Met just an enthusiast. Get your weather forecasts from the Pros!

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby supercane4867 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:53 pm

Wow. This must be the latest last minute trigger that NHC ever decided to pull.
Last edited by supercane4867 on Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   

tomatkins
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#128 Postby tomatkins » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:55 pm

TheAustinMan wrote:The lack of warm oceanic heat content suggest that Alpha isn't your a conventional tropical cyclone, and indeed, the NHC has it "subtropical" at this time for a reason. But regardless, it's definitely not just "any old cloud", and definitely deserves the name. Convection is organized with spiral banding around a tight core, and has persisted since yesterday. Hopefully the following radar image dispels any doubts.

663 KB. Source: IPMA
https://i.imgur.com/qSIsMvv.png

Compare with Vince weakening on approach to the Iberian peninsula in 2005.

451 KB. Source: Hurricane Vince's Tropical Cyclone Report
https://i.imgur.com/nhjMur2.png

I think once it got close enough to see that radar, they really had no choice.
0 likes   

gfsperpendicular
Category 1
Category 1

#129 Postby gfsperpendicular » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:56 pm

I assume that 9.3W is the farthest east genesis, but is it also the farthest east that any TS/STS has ever been? Or was Vince's last point farther east?
0 likes   
I'm not sleeping, I'm waiting for the 0900 UTC advisory!

#1 CMC stan

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

#130 Postby supercane4867 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:57 pm

gfsperpendicular wrote:I assume that 9.3W is the farthest east genesis, but is it also the farthest east that any TS/STS has ever been? Or was Vince's last point farther east?

Vince weakened to a TD at landfall.
0 likes   

gfsperpendicular
Category 1
Category 1

#131 Postby gfsperpendicular » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:57 pm

supercane4867 wrote:
gfsperpendicular wrote:I assume that 9.3W is the farthest east genesis, but is it also the farthest east that any TS/STS has ever been? Or was Vince's last point farther east?

Vince weakened to a TD at landfall.

Oh my bad, I meant TC/STC.
0 likes   

#1 CMC stan

arkestra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#132 Postby arkestra » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:05 pm

I suppose advisories from the NHC are always in local time?
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#133 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:10 pm

arkestra wrote:I suppose advisories from the NHC are always in local time?

That's new this year. That is because the times were not representative - it's early evening in Portugal, but otherwise would show midday AST.
0 likes   

hurricaneCW
Category 5
Category 5

#134 Postby hurricaneCW » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:10 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the responses to that tweet.

But hey guys apparently the NHC is naming every cloud a storm to push the man-made climate change narrative. They must have hired a team of arsonists to start the western US fires too.

Good lord help us.
9 likes   

TallyTracker
Category 2
Category 2

#135 Postby TallyTracker » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:11 pm

If Alpha isn’t a STS/TS, then neither was Pablo, Vince, Grace and countless other high-latitude cyclones that have been classified for many years. This meets the definition of an STS and needed to be classified. Good call NHC!
9 likes   
Fran '96, Georges '98, Gordon '00, Gabrielle '01, Charley '04, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Barry '07, Fay '08, Debby '12, Matthew '16, Emily '17, Irma '17, Michael ‘18, Elsa ‘21, Fred ‘21, Mindy ‘21, Nicole ‘22, Idalia ‘23

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#136 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:12 pm

TallyTracker wrote:If Alpha isn’t a STS/TS, then neither was Pablo, Vince, Grace and countless other high-latitude cyclones that have been classified for many years. This meets the definition of an STS and needed to be classified. Good call NHC!

The only thing post-analysis will do is most likely back up the genesis time, I'm guessing it became an STS (or TS) around 1200Z yesterday.
3 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#137 Postby MetroMike » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:17 pm

This system has to be on the very edge or even out of NHC jurisdiction, don't recall something near Portugal being classified.
0 likes   

gfsperpendicular
Category 1
Category 1

#138 Postby gfsperpendicular » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:48 pm

MetroMike wrote:This system has to be on the very edge or even out of NHC jurisdiction, don't recall something near Portugal being classified.

Yeah I think it's right there on the edge.

The area of responsibility of RSMC Miami for issuing tropical and subtropical cyclone
advisories is the North Atlantic Ocean, the Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, North Pacific Ocean
eastward from 140ºW.

https://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/tcp/ ... _final.pdf
0 likes   

#1 CMC stan

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#139 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:50 pm

gfsperpendicular wrote:
MetroMike wrote:This system has to be on the very edge or even out of NHC jurisdiction, don't recall something near Portugal being classified.

The area of responsibility of RSMC Miami for issuing tropical and subtropical cyclone
advisories is the North Atlantic Ocean, the Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, North Pacific Ocean
eastward from 140ºW.

I wonder what would happen if a tropical cyclone crossed the Strait of Gibraltar into the Mediterranean? Would the NHC maintain control?
0 likes   

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5

#140 Postby bob rulz » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:58 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
gfsperpendicular wrote:

eastward from 140ºW.

I wonder what would happen if a tropical cyclone crossed the Strait of Gibraltar into the Mediterranean? Would the NHC maintain control?

Whoa now, 2020 doesn't need any more ideas!
6 likes   

Return to “2020”