ATL: MARCO - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 97L - Discussion

#21 Postby KatDaddy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:05 pm

Time to watch 97L closely as it moves across the Caribbean and could become a GOM threat if the ridge weakens late next week. This is the time be ready.
6 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby SoupBone » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:07 pm

ConvergenceZone wrote:I’m waiting for wxman to post that it’s not going to develop into much, hehe. I don’t blame him though, If I was a Met who had to work long hours during hurricanes seasons when storms developed, I’m sure Iwould do the same thing and try and will them away. I’m sure he deserves every vacation he gets!!!

We’ll see if this invest will be a semi long tracker or not. Much to early to say. Although not too Far East, so wouldn’t technically be a long tracker

He doesn't do this though. He's just a very calculated professional.

I'm curious to see how the NHC puts there inital paths. Gonna be a long few days.
4 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby Steve » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:09 pm

DestinHurricane wrote:If it develops I would have to guess an Ivan like track (not intensity!) this early. Really has been a while since we've seen a real Caribbean cruiser.

Ivan like? Is that even possible with the upper modeling in the 12z runs that developed it? Most models that developed it showed extensive ridging with it likely going far south and west of New Orleans. Next weekend is a long way off with lots of possibilities, but super early you’d think Mexico or South Texas. Why Baldwin/Escambia/Santa Rosa Counties?
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:11 pm

eastcoastFL wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
eastcoastFL wrote:I was looking back at storms that formed in this region during similar set ups across the Atlantic. 2004 was pretty similar set up wise and saw quite a few develop in this general area. It looked Bonnie Charlie and Earl all formed around where 97l is now. Ivan aNd Frances bit further east I believe and Jeanne a little further north.

You also have to look when it forms though. It’s mid August.

Charlie formed August 9th

Yeah, but I’m pretty much just talking about climatology. Climo says anyone in the Gulf could get hit. Not just the eastern Gulf.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby Steve » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:12 pm

KatDaddy wrote:Time to watch 97L closely as it moves across the Caribbean and could become a GOM threat if the ridge weakens late next week. This is the time be ready.

? Ridge will be building in behind a trough split toward Thursday or Friday that absolutely will happen. It may be too far south to come up this way or even toward Beaumont. Threat looks south of there by a good bit imho.
2 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:13 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:Not really sure why the global models aren't developing this more. It already has a decent vorticity signature and convection has been building near the diurnal minimum. It will likely move too fast to develop for the next few days but once it slows down in the central Caribbean, development becomes more likely.

Have they developed anything all year though? No. This isn’t surprising to me that they don’t develop this feature either.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby aspen » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:14 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:Not really sure why the global models aren't developing this more. It already has a decent vorticity signature and convection has been building near the diurnal minimum. It will likely move too fast to develop for the next few days but once it slows down in the central Caribbean, development becomes more likely.

I could see this becoming a TD within the next few days that remains a weak system (30-40 kt) until it slows down in the WCar later this week.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#28 Postby South Texas Storms » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:15 pm

Steve wrote:
DestinHurricane wrote:If it develops I would have to guess an Ivan like track (not intensity!) this early. Really has been a while since we've seen a real Caribbean cruiser.

Ivan like? Is that even possible with the upper modeling in the 12z runs that developed it? Most models that developed it showed extensive ridging with it likely going far south and west of New Orleans. Next weekend is a long way off with lots of possibilities, but super early you’d think Mexico or South Texas. Why Baldwin/Escambia/Santa Rosa Counties?

I'd have to agree with you on that Steve. Early betting favorite is somewhere across the western Gulf. But like you said, it's still far out and way too early to tell. I think anywhere in the Gulf could be in play.

Now is the time to prepare though. By next weekend there could be a mad rush if there is a developing tropical system heading into the Gulf. And chances are increasing that this will be the case.
3 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:16 pm

I think yeah, a stronger system within the next 24-36 hours means a more northerly track and not a crash into CA.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:17 pm

I say NHC goes 40/60 at 8pm. Then 60/80 2am. Then 80/80 8am. Assuming convection continues to maintain.
3 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby eastcoastFL » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:19 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
eastcoastFL wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
You also have to look when it forms though. It’s mid August.

Charlie formed August 9th

Yeah, but I’m pretty much just talking about climatology. Climo says anyone in the Gulf could get hit. Not just the eastern Gulf.

I totally agree with that. Ridge should be further west and whatever this turns out to be is more likely to threaten the western gulf or Mexico as of this point.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby eastcoastFL » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:20 pm

1 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#33 Postby TheProfessor » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:20 pm

Steve wrote:
KatDaddy wrote:Time to watch 97L closely as it moves across the Caribbean and could become a GOM threat if the ridge weakens late next week. This is the time be ready.

? Ridge will be building in behind a trough split toward Thursday or Friday that absolutely will happen. It may be too far south to come up this way or even toward Beaumont. Threat looks south of there by a good bit imho.

Like always it will depend on the strength of the storm. If the storm stay weak through the Caribbean, then I agree with you. But, if we have a hurricane moving through instead, it's likely going to feel the pull from the 500mb level steering and that's going to take it further east. The earlier the storm strengthens the further east it goes. It doesn't always workout this way, but that looks to be the case this time around.
1 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

DestinHurricane
Category 4
Category 4

#34 Postby DestinHurricane » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:23 pm

Steve wrote:

I mean the track through the carribean and into the gulf would be similar to Ivan.

Anywhere from Mexico to Marco Island is possible this far out. Cannot rule out it keeping going into CA either.

If I had to lay money on a landfall this far out, I would go with central Louisiana. That is because 1, The trend now is a stronger system so that would mean a more east track and 2, in general shifts to the east are more common than west.
Last edited by DestinHurricane on Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
Destin/Santa Rosa Beach, Florida: Ivan 2004, Dennis 2005, Michael 2018, Sally 2020

Fort Lauderdale, Florida Eta 2020, Many future storms!

THE Ohio State University: :cold:

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby eastcoastFL » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:25 pm

Looks like the CMC brings a weakish cane into Texas 8/25 or 8/26

2 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:28 pm

18z GFS still not really onboard with development. Maybe a td. Just looks like sheared early season slop storm in the Gulf.
0 likes   

IsabelaWeather
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#37 Postby IsabelaWeather » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:28 pm

I must admit, this is looking a lot better than I thought it would just a few hours ago. I still have a hard time believing this will get it's act together quickly because of its forward speed.

If it could slow down a little then it's off to the races. It has really a really great environment and OHC ahead...
3 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#38 Postby ConvergenceZone » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:46 pm

Cpv17 wrote:18z GFS still not really onboard with development. Maybe a td. Just looks like sheared early season slop storm in the Gulf.

It will probably jump on board later. I’ve seen this a gazillion times
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#39 Postby Steve » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:54 pm

TheProfessor wrote:
Steve wrote:

Like always it will depend on the strength of the storm. If the storm stay weak through the Caribbean, then I agree with you. But, if we have a hurricane moving through instead, it's likely going to feel the pull from the 500mb level steering and that's going to take it further east. The earlier the storm strengthens the further east it goes. It doesn't always workout this way, but that looks to be the case this time around.

Most of the upper models I looked at had the split and resulting weakness across LA/MS. If 97L had a few days head start, I think that it more likely would have felt that weakness particularly since it will slow down. Also if it's moving slowly in the central Gulf I can see that. But they also show a solid push in from the East/ESE as the trough otherwise lifts out. So maybe there is a magic latitude it could be at where a N or NW track could be more likely. It'll be cool to watch all week, and I'll try to post when I can on the models thread.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby SoupBone » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:56 pm

TheProfessor wrote:
Steve wrote:

How far east would you say is possible at this point?
0 likes   

Return to “2020”