ATL: TEDDY - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: TEDDY - Hurricane - Discussion

#741 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:11 pm

Reduction from flight level supports major hurricane, at the very least 105 knots.
1 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#742 Postby ClarCari » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:29 pm

Is Teddy trying to contract his eye again? There’s was some cold clouds forming into the center.
0 likes   

NotoSans
Category 5
Category 5

#743 Postby NotoSans » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:31 pm

Surface mixing seems ineffective at the moment, which is typical for storms just completing ERC and with large eyes. I’d go with 95kt for the current intensity based on a blend of SFMR and flight-level winds, although NHC will likely keep it at major.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC and NWS products.

us89
Category 1
Category 1

#744 Postby us89 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:39 pm

Still a pronounced double wind maximum in the northeast quadrant.
0 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#745 Postby cheezyWXguy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:51 pm

us89 wrote:Still a pronounced double wind maximum in the northeast quadrant.

Is it due to that recent burst in the eye, from the remnant inner core?

Also, Teddy now has an AHI value of 1. If teddy clears out that eye and firms up that cdo, we could have an actual opportunity to throw the A-word around
4 likes   

PavelGaborik10
Category 1
Category 1

#746 Postby PavelGaborik10 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:49 pm

The little eye has once again popped out, cloud told have become very, very warm but Teddy is becoming absurdly large.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#747 Postby aspen » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:53 pm

How wide is that eye? 50-60 miles?
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#748 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:59 pm

aspen wrote:How wide is that eye? 50-60 miles?

60 nautical miles.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#749 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:04 pm

8 likes   

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

#750 Postby MarioProtVI » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:49 pm

Core looks like it got destroyed on latest IR loop. Not a major anymore, likely 90 kt max and on a downward trend from here slowly and probably a large and broad C1/C2 until ET transition occurs
1 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#751 Postby cheezyWXguy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:37 pm

MarioProtVI wrote:Core looks like it got destroyed on latest IR loop. Not a major anymore, likely 90 kt max and on a downward trend from here slowly and probably a large and broad C1/C2 until ET transition occurs

Agreed, very strange. It’s as if the outer eyewall just collapsed and it’s resorted to a bursting pattern again. No way this is a major now
0 likes   

Chris90
Category 2
Category 2

#752 Postby Chris90 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:02 pm

It does appear as if the core is getting the stuffing knocked out of it.

Maybe if Teddy rebuilds a smaller, tighter core though he'll make another intensification run. He's still far enough south in latitude he's got warm waters to work with for a little while longer. He's running out of time though with every step north.
0 likes   
Solar Aquarian
Lunar Cancerian
:uarrow: Sagittarian

PavelGaborik10
Category 1
Category 1

#753 Postby PavelGaborik10 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:22 pm

Teddy is rapidly weakening right now. The storm has literally been cut in half over the course of several hours.

I'm not sure what happened, but he's barely looking tropical at this point.
1 likes   

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#754 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:27 pm

Will be interesting to see if Teddy gets "juiced up" by the trough (depending upon it's interaction with Teddy and overall tilt). Extratropical re-intensification could be the most important factor moving forward.

Edit - I'm stocked up just in case Teddy does something unexpected. I should be fairly safe where I am located no matter what happens (we typically need a persistent SW wind to cause major flooding or a direct storm surge hit) but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
0 likes   

Chris90
Category 2
Category 2

#755 Postby Chris90 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:10 am

NHC latest discussion mentions that convective cells were forming inside the outer eyewall and that Teddy may be forming an inner eyewall. Teddy may be performing an “inside out” ERC. Can anyone think of any other storms that built a brand new inner eyewall that forced an outer eyewall to collapse? I can’t think of any. This seems like a potentially rare and unique event. I’m eager to see new microwave passes to see what is going on.

ERCs pretty much always work from the outer eyewall choking off the inner. I’ve seen inner remnants put up a fight and keep firing new convection for awhile, but microwave from a few hours ago suggests the old inner eyewall was completely dead, bones had been called. This seems like a brand new eyewall is forming inside the outer one. This season continues to try to do it all.
2 likes   
Solar Aquarian
Lunar Cancerian
:uarrow: Sagittarian

PavelGaborik10
Category 1
Category 1

#756 Postby PavelGaborik10 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:13 am

Chris90 wrote:NHC latest discussion mentions that convective cells were forming inside the outer eyewall and that Teddy may be forming an inner eyewall. Teddy may be performing an “inside out” ERC. Can anyone think of any other storms that built a brand new inner eyewall that forced an outer eyewall to collapse? I can’t think of any. This seems like a potentially rare and unique event. I’m eager to see new microwave passes to see what is going on.

ERCs pretty much always work from the outer eyewall choking off the inner. I’ve seen inner remnants put up a fight and keep firing new convection for awhile, but microwave from a few hours ago suggests the old inner eyewall was completely dead, bones had been called. This seems like a brand new eyewall is forming inside the outer one. This season continues to try to do it all.

That's a first to me as well, it also makes me wonder if that could result in Teddy's windfield growing potentially even larger than initially forecasted.
1 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#757 Postby CrazyC83 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:07 am

I think we will also see wind-pressure mismatches going forward. Once the ET transition begins, the pressure could easily drop into the 940s or lower.
0 likes   

us89
Category 1
Category 1

#758 Postby us89 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:18 am

PavelGaborik10 wrote:
Chris90 wrote:NHC latest discussion mentions that convective cells were forming inside the outer eyewall and that Teddy may be forming an inner eyewall. Teddy may be performing an “inside out” ERC. Can anyone think of any other storms that built a brand new inner eyewall that forced an outer eyewall to collapse? I can’t think of any. This seems like a potentially rare and unique event. I’m eager to see new microwave passes to see what is going on.

That's a first to me as well, it also makes me wonder if that could result in Teddy's windfield growing potentially even larger than initially forecasted.

I noticed that earlier this evening. Not sure I’ve ever seen thunderstorms within an eye, much less apparently cause the existing eyewall to start falling apart. Wonder if we’d see any intensification if a smaller inner core managed to consolidate from that convection and the outer eyewall died off.
1 likes   

PavelGaborik10
Category 1
Category 1

#759 Postby PavelGaborik10 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:36 am

Teddy's small eye is back and he looks to be re-intensifying.

This is crazy
0 likes   

Keldeo1997
Category 2
Category 2

#760 Postby Keldeo1997 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:54 am

Actually a Met in a Discord said that angular cyclones (Which is what Teddy was before everything came crash down) have a specific kind of EWRC where the very large eyewall caves in on itself and forms a smaller more Standard Eyewall. This may have just happened. I think what is confusing people is that Angular cyclones are very rare (Last one I remember in the Atlantic was Isabell) so witnessing something like this is crazy. I'm waiting for a Update to this http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/mimtc/2020_20L/web/displayGifsBy12hr_08.html to confirm. This is going to be studied no doubt
1 likes   

Return to “2020”