ATL: ARTHUR - Post-Tropical

Moderator: S2k Moderators

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: ARTHUR - Tropical Storm

#441 Postby NDG » Sun May 17, 2020 8:41 am

Aric Dunn wrote:I know I just woke up.. but is it just me or has Arthur come to crawl the last 6 hours.. pretty much a dead stop at this point.

The LLC has been doing a cyclonic loop during the past few hours.
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#442 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 17, 2020 8:45 am

Hey look Arthur is smiling at us ... who can find it ?? :)

10 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#443 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 17, 2020 8:47 am

NDG wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:I know I just woke up.. but is it just me or has Arthur come to crawl the last 6 hours.. pretty much a dead stop at this point.

The LLC has been doing a cyclonic loop during the past few hours.

yes.... do a long loop the entire envelope has barely moved in 6 + hours.. the small cyclonic loops are just a consequence of slowing down so much. it is under 5mph
2 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#444 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 17, 2020 8:55 am

It's current motion could be an indication of a short term nw motion as indicated by a large number of Ensemble members.. actually looks like the majority of the ensemble members are showing such a possible deviation.

2 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#445 Postby AnnularCane » Sun May 17, 2020 9:05 am

Aric Dunn wrote:Hey look Arthur is smiling at us ... who can find it ?? :)

https://i.ibb.co/9pyTbPd/Capture.png

Ha! That's cute!

Right back at you, Artie. :)
4 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#446 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 17, 2020 9:08 am

Another possible reasoning.. since it has lost a lot of the deep convection around the center that it has now entered the low level steering which may be quite a bit weaker or more towards the NW
2 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#447 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 17, 2020 9:24 am

I think the trough over the plains /mid west might have a little more negative tilt to it..

the stall currently could be that the exiting trough east of nova scotia and the ridge filling in behind is due to the possible slight tilt in the trough over the mid west.

that could lead to the solution a lot of the ensemble members are showing.

in the long loop below you can see a sudden nw shift to the moisture flow in and around arthur and the mid atlantic. It wont last long as the midwest trough /low is dropping SE.

but it may keep arthur on a more North to nnw motion for a brief period.

3 likes   

plasticup
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#448 Postby plasticup » Sun May 17, 2020 9:50 am

Anyone have thoughts about the end of the forecast period? GFS and some show westward movement, others show eastward with a loop into Bermuda. Anyone care to speculate about that?
0 likes   
Eyes: Emily '86, Dean '89, Felix '95, Gert '99, Fabian '03, Humberto '19, Paulette '20

Abdullah
Category 1
Category 1

#449 Postby Abdullah » Sun May 17, 2020 10:01 am

Wind Speed up to 40 knots (45 mph)

11:00 A.M. Advisory
1 likes   

hipshot
Category 1
Category 1

#450 Postby hipshot » Sun May 17, 2020 10:09 am

1 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#451 Postby Kazmit » Sun May 17, 2020 10:41 am

Looks like a classic early season storm in that region. Let's see if it can regain some tropical characteristics as it will be passing over warmer SSTs.
1 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#452 Postby Jr0d » Sun May 17, 2020 12:00 pm

The LLC is definately on the move north again. Tonight will be its last chance to strengthen as a tropical storm, but will likely pick up stength later from baroclinic forcing but losing its tropical features.
2 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#453 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 17, 2020 12:15 pm

Jr0d wrote:The LLC is definately on the move north again. Tonight will be its last chance to strengthen as a tropical storm, but will likely pick up stength later from baroclinic forcing but losing its tropical features.

it is completing a cyclonic loop.. and looks to maybe be starting another.. might bend back nnw here shortly..
1 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#454 Postby OuterBanker » Sun May 17, 2020 12:19 pm

All I'm hearing now is Patsy Cline's.

"I fall to pieces "
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#455 Postby chaser1 » Sun May 17, 2020 12:44 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:I think the trough over the plains /mid west might have a little more negative tilt to it..

the stall currently could be that the exiting trough east of nova scotia and the ridge filling in behind is due to the possible slight tilt in the trough over the mid west.

in the long loop below you can see a sudden nw shift to the moisture flow in and around arthur and the mid atlantic. It wont last long as the midwest trough /low is dropping SE.

https://i.ibb.co/SynBJyw/LABELS-19700101-000000.gif

Totally agree. Nice analysis! (but I never could find Arthur's smile in that frame LOL)
3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#456 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 17, 2020 12:45 pm

chaser1 wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:I think the trough over the plains /mid west might have a little more negative tilt to it..

Totally agree. Nice analysis! (but I never could find Arthur's smile in that frame LOL)

haha.. look in the very center of the circ...
2 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#457 Postby chaser1 » Sun May 17, 2020 12:54 pm

Arthur has a tight low level center. It's apparent that outflow is expanding and that upper level shear has relaxed. I'd be very very surprised if we were to not see a nice burst of new convection co-located with the COC as the storm moves over the slightly warmer waters of the Gulf Stream tonight and into tomm. Given it's tight core, it would take no time at all to see a 4-6 mb drop in pressure. I'm gonna guess it'll reach 997 mb before transitioning to extra-tropical.
3 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#458 Postby chaser1 » Sun May 17, 2020 12:56 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
chaser1 wrote:

haha.. look in the very center of the circ...

That's hilarious ! I was looking at the frame too broadly, but boy it's smack at center nice and small :D
3 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#459 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun May 17, 2020 2:03 pm

chaser1 wrote:Arthur has a tight low level center. It's apparent that outflow is expanding and that upper level shear has relaxed. I'd be very very surprised if we were to not see a nice burst of new convection co-located with the COC as the storm moves over the slightly warmer waters of the Gulf Stream tonight and into tomm. Given it's tight core, it would take no time at all to see a 4-6 mb drop in pressure. I'm gonna guess it'll reach 997 mb before transitioning to extra-tropical.

I agree. The structure is pretty good, just the fact that cooler water and it being frickin MAY 17th. Just be thankful it's not July because with these conditions in July this would be ramping up quickly. It's been a while since there has been a purely tropical system like this in May (usually subtropical first or just subtropical)
1 likes   

xironman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#460 Postby xironman » Sun May 17, 2020 2:34 pm

Not looking great, but it does seem a bit more symmetrical with the spiral bands rather than everything being displaced to the east.
1 likes   

Return to “2020”