ATL: BERTHA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: ATL: BERTHA - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#101 Postby al78 » Wed May 27, 2020 10:13 am

It is not every year the Atlantic has more named storms than the NW Pacific in May, in fact, it has more named storms than the whole Pacific ocean north of the equator so far!
4 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#102 Postby Shell Mound » Wed May 27, 2020 10:47 am

Landfall occurred in the very same region that Hugo impacted back in 1989. Based on radar and buoy data, this was likely close to 55 knots / 1000 mb at landfall, given the formative eyewall, quick intensification, and small ROCI (radius of outermost closed isobar) embedded in high environmental pressures. Given that the peak sustained winds were registered outside the strongest convection, Bertha was almost certainly a bit stronger than the NHC currently indicates. Post-seasonal analysis may well nudge up both the time of formation and the peak/landfall intensity. Plus, bear in mind that Bertha made landfall in a very remote area, in and near the Francis Marion National Forest and Bulls Bay, SC, in which surface data are quite sparse.

https://twitter.com/webberweather/status/1265624679118708736

https://twitter.com/AndyHazelton/status/1265625049177952261

https://twitter.com/pppapin/status/1265628375332184071

3 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

TallyTracker
Category 2
Category 2

Re: ATL: BERTHA - Tropical Depression - Discussion

#103 Postby TallyTracker » Wed May 27, 2020 1:40 pm

Now a tropical depression.

...BERTHA WEAKENS TO A TROPICAL DEPRESSION...
...HEAVY RAINFALL SPREADING ACROSS THE CAROLINAS...

SUMMARY OF 200 PM EDT...1800 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...33.7N 80.2W
ABOUT 65 MI...105 KM NNW OF CHARLESTON SOUTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...35 MPH...55 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 330 DEGREES AT 15 MPH...24 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1007 MB...29.74 INCHES
0 likes   
Fran '96, Georges '98, Gordon '00, Gabrielle '01, Charley '04, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Barry '07, Fay '08, Debby '12, Matthew '16, Emily '17, Irma '17, Michael ‘18, Elsa ‘21, Fred ‘21, Mindy ‘21, Nicole ‘22, Idalia ‘23

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#104 Postby FireRat » Wed May 27, 2020 2:28 pm

Bertha really likes the Carolinas huh, getting her rains today here in NC, gonna be a wet night!
0 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#105 Postby galaxy401 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:28 pm

I completely slept on this storm because I thought it had no chance of developing. I guess I learned to never sleep on the Gulf Stream.

Bertha better not delay the upcoming astronaut launch. Edit: It did :roll:
Last edited by galaxy401 on Wed May 27, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#106 Postby SconnieCane » Wed May 27, 2020 3:01 pm

kevin wrote:I don't know for sure, but with just 2 hours this has to be the one of the storms with the least amount of time between being named and making landfall, at least as far as I can remember.

Remember Imelda from last year? Made landfall mere hours after being named a 35-kt TS and drowned Beaumont in near-Harvey fashion.
3 likes   

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#107 Postby kevin » Wed May 27, 2020 3:23 pm

galaxy401 wrote:I completely slept on this storm because I thought it had no chance of developing. I guess I learned to never sleep on the Gulf Stream.

Bertha better not delay the upcoming astronaut launch.

Unfortunately they announced that due to weather conditions the astronaut launch had to be postponed.
0 likes   

Kalrany
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#108 Postby Kalrany » Wed May 27, 2020 6:01 pm

Wow, Humberto (2007) got KO'ed for fastest. That was 3 hours.
1 likes   
TOTAL NOVICE. The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Lansing MI, Galveston TX, Madison WI, Houston TX, Newark DE

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

Re: ATL: BERTHA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#109 Postby HurricaneRyan » Wed May 27, 2020 10:41 pm

Lmao what? An entire storm in the matter of 3 hours? Jesus
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#110 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Wed May 27, 2020 10:49 pm

FYI - Bertha's genesis was purely tropical. We've seen ULL aid in tropical wave's developments many time by enhancing convection, such as Rita in 2005. If the ULL had been over Bertha and worked its way to the surface, that would be a subtropical genesis.
1 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#111 Postby AJC3 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:24 pm

At the risk of wading into a subjective or semantic debate, here's my two cents concerning the genesis of Bertha.

1. The incipient disturbance that went on to become Bertha was purely tropical.
Looking back at the TWDATs from NHC and unified surface analyses, it is clear that the northern flank of an AEW (African Easterly Wave, or T-wave if you wish) over the northwestern Caribbean fractured and turned northward into the eastern GOMEX.

2. The genesis process was not purely tropical.
This was without a doubt a BE (baroclinically enhanced) system. Once it reached the SE GOMEX, there was protracted and significant amount of dynamic (non-tropical) mid and upper level forced ascent (H50 PVA/H25 divergence) on the east side of the large, negative-tilt, quasi-stationary upper trough which covered the GOMEX for a few days. This forcing generated convection, which in turn spawned several low to mid level vortices, and gradually lowered pressures at the surface, resulting in a broad, elonagted trough from the eastern GOMEX across Florida. Eventually, this forcing shifted offshore the Florida east coast. Once that occured, more significant convection developed in that area, especially over the Gulf Stream. This generated further lowering of pressures, which deformed/absorbed the weak LLC (one of a few) that had formed over the peninsula, just as it was about to move offshore around Daytona Beach. This new low pressure area, now separated from the trough to its west, was steered northward in between the upper trough to the west and the Atlantic ridge to the east. It quickly intensified into a TD/TS and then moved onshore the SC coast.

You can argue whether or not it would have formed without the upper forcing, I think it's more likely that it would not have, given the time of year, but it could be debated.

Anyway, as always...my 2 cents...YOMV
11 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#112 Postby Shell Mound » Thu May 28, 2020 2:48 am

1 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

HurricaneEnzo
Category 2
Category 2

#113 Postby HurricaneEnzo » Thu May 28, 2020 6:30 am

AJC3 wrote:At the risk of wading into a subjective or semantic debate, here's my two cents concerning the genesis of Bertha.

Looking back at the TWDATs from NHC and unified surface analyses, it is clear that the northern flank of an AEW (African Easterly Wave, or T-wave if you wish) over the northwestern Caribbean fractured and turned northward into the eastern GOMEX.

This was without a doubt a BE (baroclinically enhanced) system. Once the system reached the SE GOMEX, there was protracted and significant amount of dynamic (non-tropical) mid and upper level forced ascent (H50 PVA/H25 divergence) on the east side of the large, negative-tilt, quasi-stationary upper trough which covered the GOMEX for a few days. This forcing generated convection, which in turn spawned several low to mid level vortices, and gradually lowered pressures at the surface, resulting in a broad, elonagted trough from the eastern GOMEX across Florida. Eventually, this forcing shifted offshore the Florida east coast. Once that occured, more significant convection developed in that area, especially over the Gulf Stream. This generated further lowering of pressures, which deformed/absorbed the weak LLC (one of a few) that had formed over the peninsula, just as it was about to move offshore around Daytona Beach. This new low pressure area, now separated from the trough to its west, was steered northward in between the upper trough to the west and the Atlantic ridge to the east. It quickly intensified into a TD/TS and then moved onshore the SC coast.

You can argue whether or not it would have formed without the upper forcing, I think it's more likely that it would not have, given the time of year, but it could be debated.

That was my thinking you can't really say it was 'pure tropical' development. Not strictly non-tropical either the truth probably likes somewhere in the middle.
1 likes   
Bertha 96' - Fran 96' - Bonnie 98' - Dennis 99' - Floyd 99' - Isabel 03' - Alex 04' - Ophelia 05' - Irene 11' - Arthur 14' - Matthew 16' - Florence 18' - Dorian 19' - Isaias 20' (countless other tropical storms and Hurricane swipes)

I am not a Professional Met just an enthusiast. Get your weather forecasts from the Pros!

TallyTracker
Category 2
Category 2

#114 Postby TallyTracker » Thu May 28, 2020 8:50 am

AJC3 wrote:At the risk of wading into a subjective or semantic debate, here's my two cents concerning the genesis of Bertha.

This was without a doubt a BE (baroclinically enhanced) system. Once the system reached the SE GOMEX, there was protracted and significant amount of dynamic (non-tropical) mid and upper level forced ascent (H50 PVA/H25 divergence) on the east side of the large, negative-tilt, quasi-stationary upper trough which covered the GOMEX for a few days. This forcing generated convection, which in turn spawned several low to mid level vortices, and gradually lowered pressures at the surface, resulting in a broad, elonagted trough from the eastern GOMEX across Florida. Eventually, this forcing shifted offshore the Florida east coast. Once that occured, more significant convection developed in that area, especially over the Gulf Stream. This generated further lowering of pressures, which deformed/absorbed the weak LLC (one of a few) that had formed over the peninsula, just as it was about to move offshore around Daytona Beach. This new low pressure area, now separated from the trough to its west, was steered northward in between the upper trough to the west and the Atlantic ridge to the east. It quickly intensified into a TD/TS and then moved onshore the SC coast.

This is very helpful! Thanks for the detailed explanation! The genesis process seemed to be more complex than simply development of a tropical wave or purely of non-tropical origins.
2 likes   
Fran '96, Georges '98, Gordon '00, Gabrielle '01, Charley '04, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Barry '07, Fay '08, Debby '12, Matthew '16, Emily '17, Irma '17, Michael ‘18, Elsa ‘21, Fred ‘21, Mindy ‘21, Nicole ‘22, Idalia ‘23

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#115 Postby HurricaneBelle » Thu May 28, 2020 11:30 am

FireRat wrote:Bertha really likes the Carolinas huh, getting her rains today here in NC, gonna be a wet night!

Bertha ended up roughly following the path of Hugo after landfall, moving into the Charlotte area then up through West Virginia and Ohio moving west of north, a somewhat rare track at that latitude.
2 likes   

Return to “2020”