ATL: GONZALO - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: GONZALO - Tropical Storm- Discussion

#941 Postby aspen » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:05 am

storminabox wrote:I feel bad for this little guy. He put up a good fight but the dry air is proving to be too much for him. We’ll see if he can recover like he did yesterday but it’s not looking good.

I think he’s served his purpose and is ready to be put out of his misery.

Or he might try to regenerate in the Gulf like what the 00z CMC is suggesting. If Tropical Wave Gonzalo can survive through the Caribbean, maybe that will be a legitimate possibility down the line.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

tiger_deF
Category 1
Category 1

#942 Postby tiger_deF » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:24 am

It may be a little premature to toll the bells for Gonzalo, he's still firing off just enough deep convection to remain a TS, and while he's expected to dissipate in a few days he's already far overperformed the models
5 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#943 Postby TheProfessor » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:30 am

tiger_deF wrote:It may be a little premature to toll the bells for Gonzalo, he's still firing off just enough deep convection to remain a TS, and while he's expected to dissipate in a few days he's already far overperformed the models

This has been the cycle with Gonzalo though. He forms real deep convection over his center, becomes a nice CDO, but then isn't quite able to improve it's structure more than that before it collapses and he starts over.
5 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

RT23
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#944 Postby RT23 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:36 am

He isnt giving up yet!! Hot towers in the last hr
3 likes   

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

#945 Postby MarioProtVI » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:58 am

1009 mb. This thing is toast and is likely gonna dissipate before the islands.
2 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#946 Postby northjaxpro » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:00 pm

TheProfessor wrote:
tiger_deF wrote:It may be a little premature to toll the bells for Gonzalo, he's still firing off just enough deep convection to remain a TS, and while he's expected to dissipate in a few days he's already far overperformed the models

This has been the cycle with Gonzalo though. He forms real deep convection over his center, becomes a nice CDO, but then isn't quite able to improve it's structure more than that before it collapses and he starts over.

I am a big admirer of Gonzalo's amazing perseverance and tenacity. I have commented enough on this thread about this cyclone.

I would have thought by now people would stop trying to write Gonzalo's eulogy on here. Look, just appreciate how these tiny cyclones behave, which is indeed a fascinating study of its own. I would not be shocked at all to see Gonzalo pulse again and even attain hurricane strength on his approach to the Southern Windwards this weekend.

Regardless, for me Gonzalo to this poìnt is easily the most interesting and fun storm which has been tracked and analyzed. I love this little guy, as long as he does no extreme harm to those in the islands!
Last edited by northjaxpro on Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#947 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:01 pm

MarioProtVI wrote:1009 mb. This thing is toast and is likely gonna dissipate before the islands.

It is likely the 998 mb peak was an overestimate even if it was 55 kt (I'd say 998 would equal about 70 kt given the size, ridge and location).
2 likes   

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

#948 Postby MarioProtVI » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:07 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
MarioProtVI wrote:1009 mb. This thing is toast and is likely gonna dissipate before the islands.

It is likely the 998 mb peak was an overestimate even if it was 55 kt (I'd say 998 would equal about 70 kt given the size, ridge and location).

Personally I would peg the peak at 60-65 kt/999 mb.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#949 Postby aspen » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:14 pm

Looks half dead already. It might stubbornly hold onto TC status before reaching the islands, but it will dissipate well before the official NHC forecast has it do so.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

wx98
Category 5
Category 5

#950 Postby wx98 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:15 pm

Now it seems like about 40-45 kt, with pressure at 1008, according to recon
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#951 Postby abajan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:18 pm

ColdMiser123 wrote:Looking less healthy again after last night's attempt at a more well defined CDO. At this point I would heavily favor this to dissipate within the next few days or so, which is in line with the NHC forecast.

It may well dissipate within the next few hours or so. :lol:
(Well, we'll see what recon says.)
0 likes   

storminabox
Category 1
Category 1

#952 Postby storminabox » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:20 pm

aspen wrote:
storminabox wrote:I feel bad for this little guy. He put up a good fight but the dry air is proving to be too much for him. We’ll see if he can recover like he did yesterday but it’s not looking good.

Or he might try to regenerate in the Gulf like what the 00z CMC is suggesting. If Tropical Wave Gonzalo can survive through the Caribbean, maybe that will be a legitimate possibility down the line.

That’s true. He became the MDR TC that so many claimed was necessary for us to have an active season. I just wish Gonzalo was officially labeled as a hurricane, which he more than likely was two days ago. Oh well. Still an impressive cyclone that I immensely enjoyed tracking.
5 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#953 Postby northjaxpro » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:24 pm

storminabox wrote:
aspen wrote:

That’s true. He became the MDR TC that so many claimed was necessary for us to have an active season. I just wish Gonzalo was officially labeled as a hurricane, which he more than likely was two days ago. Oh well. Still an impressive cyclone that I immensely enjoyed tracking.

He was briefly a cane Wednesday, and it is my hope in post analysis that NHC will officially upgrade him to that.
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#954 Postby Ubuntwo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:29 pm

northjaxpro wrote:
storminabox wrote:
aspen wrote:I think he’s served his purpose and is ready to be put out of his misery.

He was briefly a cane Wednesday, and in post analysis, will be officially upgraded to that.

Doubt it, the NHC likes to have estimates of some sort to back their intensities. In fact no estimate for this storm ever exceeded 60kt, with more clustered around 55kt. So there's nothing for them to base hurricane intensity off.
1 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#955 Postby northjaxpro » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:34 pm

Ubuntwo wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:
storminabox wrote:

He was briefly a cane Wednesday, and in post analysis, will be officially upgraded to that.

Doubt it, the NHC likes to have estimates of some sort to back their intensities. In fact no estimate for this storm ever exceeded 60kt, with more clustered around 55kt. So there's nothing for them to base hurricane intensity off.

You have come after me on these threads before Ubuntwo. Lol.. I enjoy people who want to challenge my thoughts. You are entitled to your òpinion and I respectfully disagree with you. Let us just leave it at that!
0 likes   

RT23
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#956 Postby RT23 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:11 pm

So is he down for the count?
1 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#957 Postby abajan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:15 pm

RT23 wrote:So is he down for the count?

Certainly looks that way. And I suspect its center (or what's left of it) will pass over Tobago.
2 likes   

RT23
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#958 Postby RT23 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:25 pm

abajan wrote:
RT23 wrote:So is he down for the count?

Certainly looks that way. And I suspect its center (or what's left of it) will pass over Tobago.

Yup certainly looks like Gonzalo is out of our reach !
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#959 Postby Hammy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:40 pm

Ubuntwo wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:
storminabox wrote:

My takeaway from that is that the Dvorak technique is outdated and a new one is needed--one that takes higher resolution of satellite, along with how much more we know now vs the 1970s into account.
3 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#960 Postby 1900hurricane » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:27 pm

Don't think this one is going to make it much longer.
3 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Return to “2020”