ATL: HANNA - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: EIGHT - Models

#121 Postby Steve » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:16 pm

Oh ****, HRRR is bombing the squat out of South Padre, Harlingen, Brownsville, Matamoros and other towns in an around the tip of Texas and the state of Tamaulipas. That's a good 12-18 hour beating for some people. At that point - saying after 7 or 8pm tomorrow night, it's on for down there if the HRRR is right - which it generally is.

Run this model if you haven't looked at it yet (00Z HRRR on IR Simulatoin)
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 2400&fh=29

Here's a still shot for 6am Saturday morning. That's pretty hardcore...
0 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#122 Postby Astromanía » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:19 pm

The good thing always with those systems is that the state's dams are full after all the rain, and that help us because the whole city has a potable water deficiency due to the increase of the population with time and due to the fact the city it's in a semidesert enviroment
4 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#123 Postby Steve » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:41 pm

I haven't looked at the NAMs yet, but I'm about to. Since the HRRR is only released to 36 hours, I want to see what happens with the piece of energy left behind across the northern gulf into 60-72 hours and see any of the models continue to show that persisting and closing off. Rainfall rates will be cool to check out too. Remember, for several days GFS has been saying little rainfall with the system. It's been the outlier at least through 12z today. Also, I want to see how long some of the models might want to spin 8 at the coast. I'll check back in a bit.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: HANNA - Models

#124 Postby Steve » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:50 pm

lol at GFS. This is pretty bad. I know the resolution isn't tight, but c'mon man. This is bottom rung, Clipper Model level stuff.

36 hours - not much
1 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#125 Postby Steve » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:13 pm

GFS finally figured out there'd be more than 2" of accumulated rainfall in South Texas. It's still grossly underestimating rainfall, but it rains much farther inland than the other models based on how it has the high pressure in TX/OK north of landfall.

GFS Rainfall through 96 hours. Note the band heading into and across SELA. I'm in NWFL, but it looks like there's a chance for some heavy feeder moisture well east of the system. That sometimes happens with systems off the South Texas Coast. It wouldn't be the first time a TS down there flooded us out. I'll post rainfall totals off the ICON, NAM and then CMC when it runs.
1 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#126 Postby Steve » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:19 pm

ICON through 96:

^^ Note how much closer to the coast the rainfall is.

NAM 12km

^^ Note that the NAM has the heaviest rainfall in South Texas and gets the rainfall farther ashore than the ICON.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#127 Postby Steve » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:53 pm

Last rainfall model for me. I'll stick around and post a couple pics from HMON and HWRF, but I'm going to bed after that.

CMC keeps refiring the rain offshore. I think it's got the right idea about the rainfall totals, but I'm not sure if they're not a bit more inland. It has a weaker secondary low which now forms around the MS Gulf Coast in about 3 days and moves NE through Alabama. It won't be classified, but it will be on the map (you'd have to run the model to see it).
0 likes   

catskillfire51
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#128 Postby catskillfire51 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:58 pm

Steve wrote:Last rainfall model for me. I'll stick around and post a couple pics from HMON and HWRF, but I'm going to bed after that.

CMC keeps refiring the rain offshore. I think it's got the right idea about the rainfall totals, but I'm not sure if they're not a bit more inland. It has a weaker secondary low which now forms around the MS Gulf Coast in about 3 days and moves NE through Alabama. It won't be classified, but it will be on the map (you'd have to run the model to see it).
https://i.imgur.com/DBBTr1k.png

I've followed storms for awhile but I am not well educated at all when it comes to understanding them. I remember when harvey hit the rain bands ended up wrapping around, luckily missing us. Is it surprising to you that even as the CMC and other models make landfall the heaviest rains stay off shore and don't end up wrapping around?
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#129 Postby Steve » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:08 am

catskillfire51 wrote:
Steve wrote:Last rainfall model for me. I'll stick around and post a couple pics from HMON and HWRF, but I'm going to bed after that.

https://i.imgur.com/DBBTr1k.png

I've followed storms for awhile but I am not well educated at all when it comes to understanding them. I remember when harvey hit the rain bands ended up wrapping around, luckily missing us. Is it surprising to you that even as the CMC and other models make landfall the heaviest rains stay off shore and don't end up wrapping around?

I would say it doesn't surprise me because that's the way it usually goes. Besides bands rotating through, a lot of the the rain is shallow and mostly stays offshore. Sometimes it will come inland and then die off and re-fire offshore. So you can generally expect more rain over the ocean or gulf. CMC has an eastern weighted depiction and moves SSW/SW through Texas (it's not the models thread, but here's the link and you can see how it's weighted.
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 72400&fh=6

If it had the heaviest bands oriented to the north moving east to west, then that's where the rain's going to be. Some of the 12 and 18z models showed a south weighed system. This run of the CMC likes the heaviest rain on the east.
2 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#130 Postby Steve » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:13 am

Close to bed, but I said I'd wait up for the hurricane models. Here's landfall on the HMON at 10:00am Saturday at 987.

btw, sorry about the HWRF. It didn't update yet on TT, and I'm going to bed.
0 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#131 Postby Astromanía » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:45 am

Wow GFS and EURO say the worst amount of rainfall will be in my state, ICON also sent a big amount of rain, I need to be prepared, I wasn't expecting this
1 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#132 Postby Astromanía » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:01 am

Wow 315mm expected for my area according to GFS
2 likes   

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#133 Postby StruThiO » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:56 am

be safe friend. :uarrow:
1 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#134 Postby Astromanía » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:14 am

StruThiO wrote:be safe friend. :uarrow:

I will, thank god I don't have to work those days, I will be secure in my house, unffortunately many people still don't know what is about to come
0 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#135 Postby Astromanía » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:17 am

So far models are telling me this will be far worse than Fernand 2019
0 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#136 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:51 am

FWIW, HWRF is by far the strongest in terms of intensity with this system.

https://twitter.com/TropicalTidbits/sta ... 4878262273
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

Stormcenter
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#137 Postby Stormcenter » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:40 am

Would it be safe to say the models did a very poor job anticipating Hanna less than a week or so out? I mean none of them even showed a depression in for today or
anytime this week last weekend.
0 likes   

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#138 Postby tropicwatch » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:45 am

Wrong thread sorry.
Last edited by tropicwatch on Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#139 Postby Steve » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:49 am

Stormcenter wrote:Would it be safe to say the models did a very poor job anticipating Hanna less than a week or so out? I mean none of them even showed a depression in for today or

Not really fair. There were plenty of models showing it, just not the typical ones we look to. CMC has had it and ICON has been on it from the beginning. NAM 12km and 3km and of course in the short term, the HRRR. However, the EC was spotty, and the GFS pretty much missed it all along and is still out there on it. Although to the GFS's credit, it does show more than one isobar (got about 4 now). You can go to Tidbits and run models back up to 7 days and see what I'm talking about. We've been covering it in this thread and originally in Talkin Tropics, but you probably don't want to go that far back on this.
0 likes   

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#140 Postby lrak » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:50 am

Stormcenter wrote:Would it be safe to say the models did a very poor job anticipating Hanna less than a week or so out? I mean none of them even showed a depression in for today or

I remember our local TV meteorologist last Monday said nothing to worry about....now worries.
3 likes   
AKA karl

Also
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “2020”