ATL: LAURA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: LAURA - Tropical Depression - Discussion

#7801 Postby Steve » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:16 pm

Laura's inflow bands are making an appearance here.

View is WNW / NW.
7 likes   

SeaBrz_FL
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7802 Postby SeaBrz_FL » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:38 pm

Steve wrote:Laura's inflow bands are making an appearance here.

https://i.imgur.com/YAGa0CW.jpg

View is WNW / NW.

Where is “here?”
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7803 Postby Steve » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:38 pm

New Orleans at the moment and usually.
0 likes   

mitchell
Category 1
Category 1

#7804 Postby mitchell » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:13 pm

The remnants are forecast to move eastward across the mid atlantic tomorrow and I've been noticing all of the different terminology that the local NWS office is using to describe what the system is that will impact Delaware (slightly) tomorrow with a bit of rain and wind:

"tropical cyclone Laura"
"tropical depression Laura"
"the remnants of Laura"
"tropical system Laura"
"tropical rainstorm Laura"

These are not TV mets, this is the Mt. Holly NWS using all of these various terms. I'm not trying to criticize or pretend for a second that communicating to the public about weather is simple...i know it's not. Just noticed the range of terminology.
Last edited by mitchell on Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 likes   

Craters
Category 1
Category 1

#7805 Postby Craters » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:20 pm

Just out of curiosity, do one of you veteran Storm2Kers know what the record number of posts for a particular topic is? I see that this one is kinda pushing 8000, but I'm guessing that there have been higher numbers in the past.
0 likes   
Nothing that I post here should ever be treated as a forecast or anything resembling one. Please check with your local NWS office or the NHC for forecasts, watches, and warnings.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#7806 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:24 pm

Craters wrote:Just out of curiosity, do one of you veteran Storm2Kers know what the record number of posts for a particular topic is? I see that this one is kinda pushing 8000, but I'm guessing that there have been higher numbers in the past.

I think Irma had over like 600 pages
Edit: yeah Irma had 622 pages
2 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#7807 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:28 pm

So whatever happened to those who chose to stay in Cameron, Louisiana?
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#7808 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:29 pm

Weather Dude wrote:
Craters wrote:Just out of curiosity, do one of you veteran Storm2Kers know what the record number of posts for a particular topic is? I see that this one is kinda pushing 8000, but I'm guessing that there have been higher numbers in the past.

Most S2K members are in Florida (including me) so that would explain why the Irma thread was almost twice as long. But then again when archived don’t they usually merge both the discussion and models thread into one?
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#7809 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:40 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:

Most S2K members are in Florida (including me) so that would explain why the Irma thread was almost twice as long. But then again when archived don’t they usually merge both the discussion and models thread into one?

They might merge them I'm not sure on that one
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

PandaCitrus
Category 1
Category 1

#7810 Postby PandaCitrus » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:03 pm

NOAA is starting to upload satellite imagery of the damage. More should be updated in the coming days so save this link. Right now it mostly has Cameron and the immediate coastal area.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/laur ... 62/-93.567
1 likes   

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#7811 Postby Ubuntwo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:05 pm

1 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7812 Postby Steve » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:19 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:So whatever happened to those who chose to stay in Cameron, Louisiana?

I saw they upped the death toll to 14 today. Local paper here (Advocate) interviewed some financial experts who have the storm in the 8-12 billion range. That would put us to 13-17 billion on the year so far. I would assume the death toll will rise, but I don't know how fast or how high.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7813 Postby Steve » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:24 pm

Yeah, 10 in LA so far and 4 in TX where apparently 3 people died of carbon monoxide poisoning which I don't know the story on yet. Edit - apparently 3 people died in Port Arthur and up to 22 were hospitalized due to generators in a couple of unrelated incidents.

https://abc13.com/hurricane-laura-death ... r/6393601/
0 likes   

gfsperpendicular
Category 1
Category 1

#7814 Postby gfsperpendicular » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:53 pm

Weather Dude wrote:

Ike was 676 so I think that's the record. But that was before the like button so a lot of posts were just like "yup" or "agree"
1 likes   
I'm not sleeping, I'm waiting for the 0900 UTC advisory!

#1 CMC stan

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#7815 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:09 pm

gfsperpendicular wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:

Ike was 676 so I think that's the record. But that was before the like button so a lot of posts were just like "yup" or "agree"[/q
Ah I haven't even looked at any of those old threads lol
1 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

Craters
Category 1
Category 1

#7816 Postby Craters » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:46 pm

Weather Dude wrote:

Hoooolyyyy . . . That's more than 12,000 posts. Wowwweeee.

I guess the Like button was a good idea.
0 likes   
Nothing that I post here should ever be treated as a forecast or anything resembling one. Please check with your local NWS office or the NHC for forecasts, watches, and warnings.

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#7817 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:51 pm

Weather Dude wrote:

Irma was nonstop chaos for this forum. I don't think a storm will ever top that.
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: LAURA - Hurricane - Discussion

#7818 Postby mrbagyo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:50 pm

Jr0d wrote:Storm surge is generally highest on the right side of my the storm, as it allows for more water to pile up. Cameron took a direct hit, so it is very likely the surge was significantly worse to the east of Cameron. That area is sparsely populated so reports of high surge will be minimal until teams can go in an access the damage.

It does appear it was not as high as originally expected and the worst surge hit the least populated areas.

Aerial survey of Creole, Chenier, and Rutherford Beach (these are the eastern portions of Cameron Parish)

Link: https://youtu.be/S-1X_b_4nMA
More of a visual of surge damage than wind (cause there's so little number of trees on these areas)
Last edited by mrbagyo on Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC, NHC and NWS products.

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#7819 Postby PTrackerLA » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:59 pm

Feeling very thankful today, we have no water or wind damage to the house just shrubs I need to stake this weekend. Got power back yesterday afternoon so thankfully our issues were just a minor inconvenience compared to places just west of here. Incredible rainfall rates with frequent lightning just after midnight with strong gusts until 5am. I'd estimate we received 10" of rain between 11pm and 3am (weather station failed with loss of power at 1am @7",) the water was higher than I've ever seen it in my street. It was an "oh s***" feeling when we lost power, lost lake charles radar, had a 2 hour long tornado warning, and water surrounding the house in pitch darkness. Laura was an intense experience I'll never forget, hopefully our state can recover quickly.
4 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#7820 Postby Hammy » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:07 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:

I saw quite a few model threads going through the archives. Part of why Irma was so many pages is not only did it last twice (or more) as long as Laura but it was a major hurricane for days and days--affecting land on an almost constant basis as such along with the recon discussion during that time
2 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “2020”