ATL: INVEST 94L - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Discussion

#21 Postby GCANE » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:07 am

Swirl very evident on Visible satellite now.
1 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby sma10 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:06 pm

GCANE wrote:Swirl very evident on Visible satellite now.

Any thoughts on the cluster a bit to the SE of 94L? The GFS para has been hinting at this gaining a bit of organization separate from 94L and heading towards central FL the next 3-4 days.
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby GCANE » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:16 pm

sma10 wrote:
GCANE wrote:Swirl very evident on Visible satellite now.

Any thoughts on the cluster a bit to the SE of 94L? The GFS para has been hinting at this gaining a bit of organization separate from 94L and heading towards central FL the next 3-4 days.

Haven't looked at that scenario.
I'll check it out.

Thanks
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#24 Postby cycloneye » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:34 pm

An area of low pressure is located about 300 miles west-southwest of
Bermuda. Showers and thunderstorm activity associated with the low
has increased since last night, but remains somewhat disorganized.
Gradual additional development of this system is possible during the
next two or three days and it could become a tropical depression
while it moves slowly westward to west-northwestward. Interests
along the southeast coast of the U.S. should monitor the progress of
this disturbance.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...30 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...40 percent.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Buck
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby Buck » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:34 pm

If this does end up organizing and becoming a named system while Paulette, Rene and potentially a third African system are out there... it is going to be so insane not just to have 4 named systems (which is rare enough), but letters P-T! Wow.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:58 pm

Pretty much things have remained unchanged on 94L this afternoon. There has been no convection to yet build over the exposed swirl , which continues drifting west for the time being. We will await to see what happens this evening as this entity continues moving in an envionment, which was thought to moisten up and traverse into a decent pocket of low wind shear.

I am starting to think we won't see much popping with this feature until it traverses the Gulf Stream on its approach to the coast sometime tomorrow into Thursday.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:11 pm

northjaxpro wrote:Pretty much things have remained unchanged on 94L this afternoon. There has been no convection to yet build over the exposed swirl , which continues drifting west for the time being. We will await to see what happens this evening as this entity continues moving in an envionment, which was thought to moisten up and traverse into a decent pocket of low wind shear.

I am starting to think we won't see much popping with this feature until it traverses the Gulf Stream on its approach to the coast sometime tomorrow into Thursday.

the recent convection popping on the west side may be an indicator of where the divergent flow starts.. So we shall see.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

BensonTCwatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby BensonTCwatcher » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:52 pm

Yeah agree this may a point where there is enough divergence to do a little something. First decent burst of convection it's had all day and on the west side.
1 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:39 pm

Since my post above in the past hour or so, it was like right on cue, a bit of convecton trying to perculate, as pointed out, mainly on the west side of the swirl. Let's see what the 18Z models are saying about this feature. The models up to 12Z just have not been bullish with 94L to this juncture, including the 12Z ICON. ICON had been rather modest in development the past couple of days, up until this morning's 12Z run.

Let's see how this feature does going into the evening and see if convection picks up and also what the 18Z models runs show shortly..

UPDATE

18Z GFS and 18Z ICON is out. Both keep 94L very weak, both moving it into Wilmington, NC area, with ICON only 1013 mb by Friday afternoon....
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:10 pm

northjaxpro wrote:Since my post above in the past hour or so, it was like right on cue, a bit of convecton trying to perculate, as pointed out, mainly on the west side of the swirl. Let's see what the 18Z models are saying about this feature. The models up to 12Z just have not been bullish with 94L to this juncture, including the 12Z ICON. ICON had been rather modest in development the past couple of days, up until this morning's 12Z run.

Let's see how this feature does going into the evening and see if convection picks up and also what the 18Z models runs show shortly..

UPDATE

18Z GFS and 18Z ICON is out. Both keep 94L very weak, both moving it into Wilmington, NC area, with ICON only 1013 mb by Friday afternoon....

0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#31 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:19 pm

:uarrow: I meant 1013 mb arriving in Wilmington, NC on the 18Z ICON by 12z Friday morning, not afternoon of course. Typed that in a rush here at work at the office.

18Z GFS run is faster than the ICON. It barely has 94L as a closed off Low, if that, on the coast 012Z Thursday morning.

18Z GFS

1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:29 pm

it has just moved into area of shear at 10kts or less. if its going to make a run.. tonight and tomorrow is when it needs to get started..

0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:42 pm

Well, If 94L doesn't start picking up some convection tonight /early morning tomorrow, I would think they would cancel the scheduled Recon for tomorrow afternoon.
3 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby LarryWx » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:20 pm

I’m still not impressed with this system. That’s good news, of course, but will still watch.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Extratropical94
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#35 Postby Extratropical94 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:42 am

Down to 30/30

A small area of low pressure is located about 400 miles southeast
of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, with minimal shower and
thunderstorm activity. Gradual development of the low is possible
during the next two or three days, and it could become a tropical
depression while it continues to move slowly west-northwestward
toward the coasts of South and North Carolina. Interests in those
areas should monitor the progress of this disturbance.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...30 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...30 percent.
1 likes   
54° 11' 59'' N, 9° 9' 20'' E
Boomer Sooner!
Go Broncos! Go Cards! Go Niners!
- Daniel

xironman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#36 Postby xironman » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:30 am

It actually has a thunderstorm, who knew?

3 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:31 am

Well it is not Naked anymore lol..
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#38 Postby northjaxpro » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:35 am

Just checked and Recon still is scheduled to fly out at 18Z this afternoon to see what is going on out here. Aric, US Tropics and yours truly discussed the mid-level vorticity we to the southeast, which has maintained convection for the past couple of days and continues this morning. However, there is a new burst of convection there currently.

The low level vort where Recon planned to investigate continues to be strugglng to fire convection this morming. This area will continue to move toward the North Carolina Coast as a weak Low/ vort by Friday morning and models continue to remain not enthusiastic about development.

Now, the mid level vort to the southeast will move south-southwest the next few days and actually cross the Central or South-Central Florida peninsula this weekend and then emerge into the Southeast GOM on Sunday. The 06Z ICON and the 00Z EURO from last night are hinting at this to happen.

So, if Recon flies out, I hope they look at this area to the southeast later today. Regardless of what eventually happens, more rain is a guarantee for much of the peninsula, especially Central and South Florida , later the weekend and into early next week as well.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby TheStormExpert » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:39 am

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:46 am

northjaxpro wrote:Just checked and Recon still is scheduled to fly out at 18Z this afternoon to see what is going on out here. Aric, US Tropics and yours truly discussed the mid-level vorticity we to the southeast, which has maintained convection for the past couple of days and continues this morning. However, there is a new burst of convection there currently.

The low level vort where Recon planned to investigate continues to be strugglng to fire convection this morming. This area will continue to move toward the North Carolina Coast as a weak Low/ vort by Friday morning and models continue to remain not enthusiastic about development.

Now, the mid level vort to the southeast will move south-southwest the next few days and actually cross the Central or South-Central Florida peninsula this weekend and then emerge into the Southeast GOM on Sunday. The 06Z ICON and the 00Z EURO from last night are hinting at this to happen.

So, if Recon flies out, I hope they look at this area to the southeast later today. Regardless of what eventually happens, more rain is a guarantee for much of the peninsula, especially Central and South Florida , later the weekend and into early next week as well.

Yeah, it has all been the same trough for the last few days. if something reforms south it will still be 94L . Note: convection is increasing around that llc as we speak.. first time in its life..

on a side note.. there is increasing vorticity along the west coast fo florida and broad rotation has begun with the convection. some of the vorticity from the NW carrib system has migrated up..

Icon 6z sort of combines all this stuff now and tries to develop something in the eastern gulf..

would be very 2020.. lol
Last edited by Aric Dunn on Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Return to “2020”