ATL: GAMMA - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Emmett_Brown
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: Invest 91L - Models

#21 Postby Emmett_Brown » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:29 am

So I notice the 6Z GEFS takes stronger members (I counted 8 sub 990mb) more toward the right, and through the Yucatan channel. Many of these continue NE, getting close to the FL peninsula before getting blocked and turned back W. The weaker members continue WNW into the Yucatan. This could be a trend to watch once we have accurate position and intensity measurements from recon. GEFS seems to imply in the short term that a stronger Gamma will head more to the right before ultimately heading back to the left.
1 likes   

cp79
Category 1
Category 1

#22 Postby cp79 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:35 am

While a left turn is good news for Florida, it’s bad news for the storm is likely gonna get destroyed by shear.
I’m not sure it can survive it. Euro basically kills it. The usually bullish HWRF even kills it in the BOC, and when they kill a storm, there’s not much hope. So I do think the more East it goes, the stronger it stays. The more west, the more doomed it is.

I still think for Florida, the system behind 91L is the one to more closely watch.
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby AutoPenalti » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:44 am

GFS ensembles with strong members bring this NE. Still need to watch this.

0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby Dean4Storms » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:53 am

Those members driving it NE then sudden turn westward shows how the lower level flow takes over steering wise once the mid level gets decapitated.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby aspen » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:53 am

cp79 wrote:While a left turn is good news for Florida, it’s bad news for the storm is likely gonna get destroyed by shear.
I’m not sure it can survive it. Euro basically kills it. The usually bullish HWRF even kills it in the BOC, and when they kill a storm, there’s not much hope. So I do think the more East it goes, the stronger it stays. The more west, the more doomed it is.

I still think for Florida, the system behind 91L is the one to more closely watch.

The difference between a hurricane and a weak TS in the BoC all depends on how far north 91L gets. The GFS is weaker in the short-term, so it doesn’t get as far north and ends up in the southern BoC. The HWRF is stronger in the short term, gets it further north, and has it interact more with the cold front as it remains more in the central Gulf than the BoC. We won’t know which solution is more likely until recon determines how 91L is doing.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby SFLcane » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:07 am

AutoPenalti wrote:GFS ensembles with strong members bring this NE. Still need to watch this.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/91L_gefs_latest.png

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/91L_tracks_latest.png

Potentially worth watching as 06z GEFS is more right then 00z with a deeper cyclone.

https://twitter.com/pppapin/status/1312015158718365696

0 likes   

Senobia
Category 1
Category 1

#27 Postby Senobia » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:19 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:

Florida deflector shield is in full effect on parallel. :lol:

Looks like Texas is in play now.

Texas rarely ever sees anything in October thanks to cold fronts moving into the Western Gulf.

True.
There have only been 3 since 1912.
0 likes   

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#28 Postby Rgv20 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:06 am

So odd seeing a Westward moving TC in the GOM in October as being forecast by the GFS.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: TWENTY-FIVE - Models

#29 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:48 am

1 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

edu2703
Category 1
Category 1

#30 Postby edu2703 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:38 am

12z GFS shows a significant weaker storm than 06z GFS. Buries it in the BOC

0 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:08 pm

4 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

cp79
Category 1
Category 1

#32 Postby cp79 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:34 pm

So from what I’m seeing, the more west It goes, the more it gets destroyed. Seems like a lot of models that put it in the BOC kill it. Those that pull it more NE keep it alive.
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby chaser1 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:19 pm

Emmett_Brown wrote:So I notice the 6Z GEFS takes stronger members (I counted 8 sub 990mb) more toward the right, and through the Yucatan channel. Many of these continue NE, getting close to the FL peninsula before getting blocked and turned back W. The weaker members continue WNW into the Yucatan. This could be a trend to watch once we have accurate position and intensity measurements from recon. GEFS seems to imply in the short term that a stronger Gamma will head more to the right before ultimately heading back to the left.

Good point Emmett. Furthermore, not only does this imply that a deeper Gamma might steer more north and east, but it appears that the majority of those stronger members are also projecting the storm to be a bit further north at 48 hr.'s. Seems like most stronger members bring the storm close to 24 or 25 North, as compared to the GFS being closer to 22N. Not a big difference except in this game of inches, a deeper storm that's just a couple of degrees further north and east might just mean a track that leads to a Florida landfall
Last edited by chaser1 on Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tomatkins
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#34 Postby tomatkins » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:30 pm

cp79 wrote:While a left turn is good news for Florida, it’s bad news for the storm is likely gonna get destroyed by shear.

Probably significant for the eastern Caribbean wave as well. A stronger, more eastern TD25 is gonna make it harder for that one to develop.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby aspen » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:52 pm

Models now want Gamma to make landfall in only 24-30 hours. The GFS has it continue going NW, while the GFS-Para and HWRF have it strengthen and take a bit of a NNW turn before striking the tip of the Yucutan in 30-36 hours.

The 12z HWRF has a very impressive looking 985-990 mbar system tomorrow morning. The short-range intensity and simulated IR imagery suggest Gamma attempts to bomb out, but can only max out as a moderate Cat 1 due to land interaction and, later, dry air leaking in from the northern half of the Gulf.
2 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

cp79
Category 1
Category 1

#36 Postby cp79 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:05 pm

tomatkins wrote:

Probably significant for the eastern Caribbean wave as well. A stronger, more eastern TD25 is gonna make it harder for that one to develop.

Models seem to want to squash TD25 quickly once it’s in the BOC and then the next wave moves right in. NAVGEM plays on this and starting to appear the early frames of the 18z GFS and ICOn May do this as well. This is gonna be an interesting week.
0 likes   

edu2703
Category 1
Category 1

#37 Postby edu2703 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:05 pm

18z GFS once again buries it in the BOC
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#38 Postby LarryWx » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:06 pm

Any opinion on the likelihood that the para GFS' much further N movement into the Gulf is going to verify? If so, the para GFS is suggesting that the followup would likely also track much further north and maybe come into the east coast of FL from the east as a relatively weak TC followed by not much Gulf development. It isn't just the last para GFS run that did this, but rather the last FOUR runs that have done this! Is it on crack or is it seeing reality?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby Nimbus » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:13 pm

Watch the Canadian airmass blow south down through Utah all the way to the northern gulf states.
If that trend continues not much chance of 91L getting very far north.
0 likes   

cp79
Category 1
Category 1

#40 Postby cp79 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:27 pm

Nimbus wrote:Watch the Canadian airmass blow south down through Utah all the way to the northern gulf states.
If that trend continues not much chance of 91L getting very far north.

I just think anything that tries to get north in the next week is going to get ripped apart. Tough conditions. Gonna take a week for things in the Gulf to calm down but for now anything that tries to approach that stalled front will be torn to pieces. Florida will get some good rains over the next few days.
0 likes   

Return to “2020”