ATL: ETA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: ETA - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4541 Postby underthwx » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:16 am

Well...I sincerely hope that all of you affected by ETA, are in a good way this morning, and safe.
0 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#4542 Postby underthwx » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:19 am

I hear crickets...
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#4543 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:28 am

underthwx wrote:I hear crickets...

What does that mean if you hear crickets?
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#4544 Postby underthwx » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:30 am

Iceresistance wrote:

Good morning...it means the thread is so quiet, I can hear crickets, or, a pin drop...actually, I could have said.... Man, this thread sure got quiet, or something like that... :D
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#4545 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:37 am

underthwx wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

Good morning...it means the thread is so quiet, I can hear crickets, or, a pin drop...actually, I could have said.... Man, this thread sure got quiet, or something like that... :D

The Thread got quiet as soon as Eta made landfall, the attention is now heading to 98L
3 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#4546 Postby underthwx » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:39 am

Iceresistance wrote:
underthwx wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:What does that mean if you hear crickets?

The Thread got quiet as soon as Eta made landfall, the attention is now heading to 98L

Yeah...I expected that, plus everyone must be tired...but not me...I'm ready to roll...I'm following ETA until it's last raindrop...
3 likes   

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4547 Postby HurricaneBelle » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:03 am

This turned out to be more of a nuisance storm for the Tampa Bay area with flooding (fresh-water and from surge) and scattered power outages the main problems. It looks like the Bay side flooding might have been worse than the Gulf side flooding with the persistent E/SE winds as Eta moved up the coast to our south and was weaker by the time it got north of our latitude. Some on the Bay side have remarked it was the worst flooding they've had since Elena in 1985.

But it was nowhere as near as bad overall as Irma was as the winds on average were a good 15-20 MPH weaker than that event.
2 likes   

jconsor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4548 Postby jconsor » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:20 am

1 likes   

stormie
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4549 Postby stormie » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:25 am

Weather is calm here in north west Tampa. I'm actually confused because they've closed schools for the rest of the week, but it seems like the storm has passed? It wasn't that bad. Last night around 9pm I had to spend a few minutes outside to hookup a drainage hose to my pool and let my dogs out. It was intermittently gusty enough to make me think twice as to if we should all actually be outside or not. But it was all good. Some inside out umbrellas, but no flooding up to this point in my immediate neighborhood.
0 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#4550 Postby underthwx » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:03 am

stormie wrote:Weather is calm here in north west Tampa. I'm actually confused because they've closed schools for the rest of the week, but it seems like the storm has passed? It wasn't that bad. Last night around 9pm I had to spend a few minutes outside to hookup a drainage hose to my pool and let my dogs out. It was intermittently gusty enough to make me think twice as to if we should all actually be outside or not. But it was all good. Some inside out umbrellas, but no flooding up to this point in my immediate neighborhood.

Schools MAY, be closed until it's clear the threat has passed, also, with flooding in the area, local public works utilities, may be conducting water quality tests, also, in addition to determining water quality, it is not uncommon for public utilities to take the precaution to turn off sewer lift stations, that pump sewage to waste treatment plants, until the threat of excessive groundwater going into sewer mains has passed, this may be a reason for that...the excessive rainfall inundates sewer mains, and can compromise operations at Wastewater treatment plants, so precautions may be in place to reduce operational problems...as a result, the public is informed of any utility service disruptions, for example, not flushing toilets, which cause unpleasant results for many, schools in particular would be forced to delay opening for classes, with no sanitary facilities at the school working...prior to my present career, I worked in public works, and I have experienced these, and many scenarios...
Last edited by underthwx on Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4551 Postby wxman57 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:15 am

stormie wrote:Weather is calm here in north west Tampa. I'm actually confused because they've closed schools for the rest of the week, but it seems like the storm has passed? It wasn't that bad. Last night around 9pm I had to spend a few minutes outside to hookup a drainage hose to my pool and let my dogs out. It was intermittently gusty enough to make me think twice as to if we should all actually be outside or not. But it was all good. Some inside out umbrellas, but no flooding up to this point in my immediate neighborhood.

Yes, Eta is moving offshore east of Jacksonville this morning. I saw some sustained wind right at tropical storm strength (39 mph) in St. Petersburg overnight Sustained TS winds did not penetrate much inland. Wind gusts, however, were up to twice the sustained wind, which is common when a storm loses its core but still has strong wind aloft. There were no persistent squalls to carry the strong winds down to the surface as sustained wind, but they did make it down in gusts. You'll have quite nice weather in Tampa today and tomorrow. The school districts were expecting more of an impact, I suppose.
0 likes   

stormie
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4552 Postby stormie » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:22 am

Thanks, underthwx. Yes, that totally makes sense -- it was just an unusually long closure given this particular threat that I was afraid I was missing something. (ummm...storm eye? circling back? or something crazy like that? it is 2020 after all...lol) Appreciate the reality check 8-) !
1 likes   

stormie
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4553 Postby stormie » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:38 am

Thanks, wxman57! I think you're right about expecting potentially stronger effects -- also the schools were preparing to be shelters. Even so, they were awfully quick to close for a couple of days - more so than normal... On the other had, they didn't really close -- they just reverted all of the kids to e-learning for a couple of days. Perhaps they were happy to take advantage of that new flexibility? In any case, to keep myself on topic, the weather has indeed remained pleasant all morning in Tampa.
0 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#4554 Postby underthwx » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:06 pm

stormie wrote:Thanks, underthwx. Yes, that totally makes sense -- it was just an unusually long closure given this particular threat that I was afraid I was missing something. (ummm...storm eye? circling back? or something crazy like that? it is 2020 after all...lol) Appreciate the reality check 8-) !

You are very welcome!...and thankyou as well!...
0 likes   

wx98
Category 5
Category 5

#4555 Postby wx98 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:53 pm

Moving offshore and will scrape the Carolina and Georgia coast on its way out to sea.
1:00 PM EST Thu Nov 12
Moving: NNE at 15 mph
Min pressure: 1004 mb
Max sustained: 40 mph
0 likes   

Syx6sic
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#4556 Postby Syx6sic » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:35 pm

wx98 wrote:Moving offshore and will scrape the Carolina and Georgia coast on its way out to sea.

so i take it all the heavy rain i am getting in virginia beach is off eta cause its been heavy rain almost non stop this morning where everythings been flooding but calm winds
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#4557 Postby underthwx » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:41 pm

Syx6sic wrote:
wx98 wrote:Moving offshore and will scrape the Carolina and Georgia coast on its way out to sea.

so i take it all the heavy rain i am getting in virginia beach is off eta cause its been heavy rain almost non stop this morning where everythings been flooding but calm winds

I think the main culprit regarding the rainfall is a cold front in your area?...Here is a part of the earlier NWS Virginia Beach forecast discussion:..."Latest sfc analysis shows the cold front pushing off the coast
off NE NC. The heaviest (convective) rain associated with the
cold front is also exiting the region. A steady moderate to
locally heavy rain is expected to continue through the afternoon
for the SE 2/3rds of the CWA. Rain has begun to taper off in the
NW 1/3rd of the CWA this afternoon and will slowly taper off
from NW to SE through the afternoon/early evening as cooler, drier
air advects into the area. Temps are currently in the low 50s NW
and in the mid to upper 60s SE. Temps slowly fall off from NW to
SE through the afternoon as the aforementioned cooler, drier air
filters in."....maybe a bit of ETA as a remnant low will contribute to the precipitation in your area...but Im fairly certain the precipitation is a result of the frontal passage...
0 likes   

Syx6sic
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#4558 Postby Syx6sic » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:47 pm

underthwx wrote:
Syx6sic wrote:

I think the main culprit regarding the rainfall is a cold front in your area?...Here is a part of the earlier NWS Virginia Beach forecast discussion:..."Latest sfc analysis shows the cold front pushing off the coast
filters in."....maybe a bit of ETA as a remnant low will contribute to the precipitation in your area...but Im fairly certain the precipitation is a result of the frontal passage...

Thanks for that info guess its just a mixture of both with all the extra moisture in the area also who knows for sure all i know it my neighborhood had about 6 inches of water standing in the street by 1030am
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#4559 Postby underthwx » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:50 pm

Syx6sic wrote:
underthwx wrote:
Syx6sic wrote:

Thanks for that info guess its just a mixture of both with all the extra moisture in the area also who knows for sure all i know it my neighborhood had about 6 inches of water standing in the street by 1030am

Your welcome...I agree that it's a mixture of both...that's alot of rainfall for a cold front, so I'm pretty certain ETA contributed to the totals of precipitation.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#4560 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:55 pm

NHC Advisory #50

Eta: 40 mph

1004 MB
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Return to “2020”