ATL: ETA - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 96L - Models

#81 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:06 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:I still don't think this goes into CA, deep level steering is weak at this stage.

Why not? All the models have this going into CA either in Nicaragua, Honduras, or at the border. Hard to go against that.

Though I will say the 12z Euro has a low emerging north of Honduras in the NW Caribbean in 7-8 days along with the GFS.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

cp79
Category 1
Category 1

#82 Postby cp79 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:12 pm

Shell Mound wrote:
aspen wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:How far inland does it track on the HWRF? What is the movement around the time of landfall? The Miskito Coast is quite flat, similar to the Everglades.

The HWRF has a WNW track until midday Monday, when it slows a bit and takes a dive to the SW. Close to landfall, it's tracking nearly parallel to the CA coast, giving it more time over water.

If that’s the case, then this could easily make a brief landfall near Cabo Gracias a Dios and then move back into the Gulf of Honduras, threatening Cuba/FL.

Technically, given how marshy the Miskito Coast is, this system could easily recover from a brief rendezvous with Cabo Gracias a Dios. Mountains are inland.

There’s about a 5% chance this affects Cuba and a 0.0001% chance it affects Fla. Just not happening. This is purely a CA system, and if it somehow breaks apart like the Euro says it may, it will get kicked ENE giving it that slight chance of hitting Cuba. But this is not a US concern. Prayers to those in CA, though.
1 likes   

Loveweather12
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#83 Postby Loveweather12 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:19 pm

cp79 wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:
aspen wrote:The HWRF has a WNW track until midday Monday, when it slows a bit and takes a dive to the SW. Close to landfall, it's tracking nearly parallel to the CA coast, giving it more time over water.

If that’s the case, then this could easily make a brief landfall near Cabo Gracias a Dios and then move back into the Gulf of Honduras, threatening Cuba/FL.

How are you so sure?
Technically, given how marshy the Miskito Coast is, this system could easily recover from a brief rendezvous with Cabo Gracias a Dios. Mountains are inland.

There’s about a 5% chance this affects Cuba and a 0.0001% chance it affects Fla. Just not happening. This is purely a CA system, and if it somehow breaks apart like the Euro says it may, it will get kicked ENE giving it that slight chance of hitting Cuba. But this is not a US concern. Prayers to those in CA, though.
0 likes   

CourierPR
Category 5
Category 5

#84 Postby CourierPR » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:26 pm

There’s about a 5% chance this affects Cuba and a 0.0001% chance it affects Fla. Just not happening. This is purely a CA system, and if it somehow breaks apart like the Euro says it may, it will get kicked ENE giving it that slight chance of hitting Cuba. But this is not a US concern. Prayers to those in CA, though.[/quote]

And you received your meteorological degree from what university?
2 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#85 Postby NDG » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:27 pm

A track across C.A. into the EPAC is still not guaranteed.

2 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#86 Postby AutoPenalti » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:30 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:I still don't think this goes into CA, deep level steering is weak at this stage.

Why not? All the models have this going into CA either in Nicaragua, Honduras, or at the border. Hard to go against that.

Though I will say the 12z Euro has a low emerging north of Honduras in the NW Caribbean in 7-8 days along with the GFS.

You don't account for beta drift right?
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Spacecoast
Category 2
Category 2

#87 Postby Spacecoast » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:30 pm

There are 3 GEFS members (AP02,AP21, & AP18) shown headng towards Cuba.
Euro ens not shown. (white is consensus)
0 likes   

cp79
Category 1
Category 1

#88 Postby cp79 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:36 pm

CourierPR wrote:There’s about a 5% chance this affects Cuba and a 0.0001% chance it affects Fla. Just not happening. This is purely a CA system, and if it somehow breaks apart like the Euro says it may, it will get kicked ENE giving it that slight chance of hitting Cuba. But this is not a US concern. Prayers to those in CA, though.

And you received your meteorological degree from what university?[/quote]

US Naval Academy
3 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#89 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:38 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:

Sorry, but what is beta drift?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#90 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:41 pm

Intensity models

0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#91 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:48 pm

The more I look at it this setup kind of reminds me of Dorian last year. Trucks west towards CA before POTENTIALLY the ridge breaks down (still questioning this considering the +NAO and climatology) and a sharp 90° north turn commences.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#92 Postby NDG » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:54 pm

0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#93 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:02 pm

:uarrow: Looks like quite a handful 12z EPS ensembles bury it into CA before re-emerging in the East Pacific. How’s this compare to 00z EPS?
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#94 Postby Shell Mound » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:08 pm

NDG wrote:A track across C.A. into the EPAC is still not guaranteed.

https://i.imgur.com/RSlmWKX.png

Note that those models depict a significant slowdown just as the system makes landfall on the Miskito Coast. This may well not track far inland at all.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Deshaunrob17
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#95 Postby Deshaunrob17 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:09 pm

TheStormExpert wrote::uarrow: Looks like quite a handful 12z EPS ensembles bury it into CA before re-emerging in the East Pacific. How’s this compare to 00z EPS?

I could be wrong but I think more members did the CA crossover this morning and yesterday
0 likes   

CourierPR
Category 5
Category 5

#96 Postby CourierPR » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:12 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:Why not? All the models have this going into CA either in Nicaragua, Honduras, or at the border. Hard to go against that.

Beta drift generally causes tropical cyclones to move poleward and westward relative to the motion they would have if the background potential vorticity field were unperturbed by the storms. This drift speed is generally around 1–2 m s−1.
0 likes   

MJGarrison
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

ATL: INVEST 96L - Models

#97 Postby MJGarrison » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:15 pm

Wouldn’t the global models account for Beta Drift already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 likes   

CourierPR
Category 5
Category 5

#98 Postby CourierPR » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:16 pm

cp79 wrote:
CourierPR wrote:There’s about a 5% chance this affects Cuba and a 0.0001% chance it affects Fla. Just not happening. This is purely a CA system, and if it somehow breaks apart like the Euro says it may, it will get kicked ENE giving it that slight chance of hitting Cuba. But this is not a US concern. Prayers to those in CA, though.

And you received your meteorological degree from what university?

US Naval Academy[/quote]

I stand corrected. I wear support stockings.
0 likes   

Spacecoast
Category 2
Category 2

#99 Postby Spacecoast » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:22 pm

Deshaunrob17 wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote::uarrow: Looks like quite a handful 12z EPS ensembles bury it into CA before re-emerging in the East Pacific. How’s this compare to 00z EPS?

I could be wrong but I think more members did the CA crossover this morning and yesterday

It looks like slightly less crossovers today
0z EPS:
12z EPS:
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#100 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:24 pm

CourierPR wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:You don't account for beta drift right?

Beta drift generally causes tropical cyclones to move poleward and westward relative to the motion they would have if the background potential vorticity field were unperturbed by the storms. This drift speed is generally around 1–2 m s−1.

So basically a stall or meander?
0 likes   

Return to “2020”