ATL: NICHOLAS - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

LadyBug72
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: ATL: NICHOLAS - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#1041 Postby LadyBug72 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:12 pm

What time is expected landfall and where?
0 likes   
Formerly known as the user: Nikki

Alicia 83, Allison 01, Rita 05, Ike 08, Harvey 18, Nicholas 21

sphelps8681
Category 2
Category 2

#1042 Postby sphelps8681 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:12 pm

emings wrote:
Steve wrote:
emings wrote:
those crazy numbers aren't going to pan out that's for sure...I consider Jefferson County a "surrounding area" atleast it feels that way to me as many trips as I've made there from Houston

It’s kind of it’s own thing though. Allies but no one in Beaumont or Port Arthur say they are from around Houston.

it depends who you're talking to...in state you say "Beaumont" if you're from say Nederland or Port Neches...out of state you say Houston Area

Yea and Lumberton is not Beaumont, Nederland or Port Neches. We are own town and definitely not Houston. Many different species. JS>
3 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#1043 Postby IcyTundra » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:16 pm

SoupBone wrote:
jasons2k wrote:The dew point here is below 70F. Not what you would expect with a storm still to the west of this longitude. Lots of dry air to the north and west.

Where are you?

It says he lives in The Woodlands so he will avoid any significant impacts as he is well off to the north.
0 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#1044 Postby IcyTundra » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:17 pm

LadyBug72 wrote:What time is expected landfall and where?

Landfall between Matagorda, Texas and Freeport, Texas sometime within the next few hours.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1045 Postby MGC » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:18 pm

Have to admit that Nicholas has exceeded my expectations....didn't think the storm would obtain hurricane intensity. Hunker down along the gulf coast Texans.....MGC
4 likes   

emings
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1046 Postby emings » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:18 pm

sphelps8681 wrote:
emings wrote:
Steve wrote:
It’s kind of it’s own thing though. Allies but no one in Beaumont or Port Arthur say they are from around Houston.

it depends who you're talking to...in state you say "Beaumont" if you're from say Nederland or Port Neches...out of state you say Houston Area

Yea and Lumberton is not Beaumont, Nederland or Port Neches. We are own town and definitely not Houston. Many different species. JS>

No Lumberton is it's own island...PS Go Raiders
3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#1047 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:19 pm

I've seen some ugly hurricanes and Nicholas isn't one of them.

8 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1048 Postby SoupBone » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:20 pm

I think I spoke too soon. Winds starting to pick up now a little. The radar shows some stuff headed this way.
3 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1049 Postby Steve » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:20 pm

emings wrote:
Steve wrote:
emings wrote:
those crazy numbers aren't going to pan out that's for sure...I consider Jefferson County a "surrounding area" atleast it feels that way to me as many trips as I've made there from Houston

We will simply have to disagree. The Triangle is the Triangle.
Last edited by Steve on Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

jabman98
Category 1
Category 1

#1050 Postby jabman98 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:21 pm

I'm a bit north and west of downtown Houston. We've had just under 2 inches of rain today. The TV weather people and Harris county officials kept saying Nicholas would be a rain event not a wind event, but it sure seems like we might see some wind now. We've had strong gusts here and there tonight. Definitely more wind and less rain than I expected. I was hearing something outside just after 10 p.m. so opened the door to look out. Could hardly get it closed the wind was so strong. Did not expect that to happen.

The 10 p.m. updated cone makes it look like it slows down at the TX/LA border. Is it expected to stall? That would be awful for those folks.
2 likes   

Senobia
Category 1
Category 1

#1051 Postby Senobia » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:22 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:I've seen some ugly hurricanes and Nicholas isn't one of them.

https://i.imgur.com/q65kx69.jpg

That looks like two separate blob hurricanes.

And the way it looks there, I don't understand why they think it's going to hold on for two more days in the Southeast Texas Southwest Louisiana area without moving on.
0 likes   

Senobia
Category 1
Category 1

#1052 Postby Senobia » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:24 pm

jabman98 wrote:
The 10 p.m. updated cone makes it look like it slows down at the TX/LA border. Is it expected to stall? That would be awful for those folks.

That's what they're saying, yes. But I don't think that's going to happen.
0 likes   

emings
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1053 Postby emings » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:27 pm

jabman98 wrote:I'm a bit north and west of downtown Houston. We've had just under 2 inches of rain today. The TV weather people and Harris county officials kept saying Nicholas would be a rain event not a wind event, but it sure seems like we might see some wind now. We've had strong gusts here and there tonight. Definitely more wind and less rain than I expected. I was hearing something outside just after 10 p.m. so opened the door to look out. Could hardly get it closed the wind was so strong. Did not expect that to happen.

rain and wind picking up on the northwest side of Houston
1 likes   

emeraldislenc
Category 2
Category 2

#1054 Postby emeraldislenc » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:37 pm

It sounds more like a geography group discussion than a hurricane discussion. Thanks for the reports on the storm.
6 likes   

Craters
Category 1
Category 1

#1055 Postby Craters » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:37 pm

MGC wrote:Have to admit that Nicholas has exceeded my expectations....didn't think the storm would obtain hurricane intensity. Hunker down along the gulf coast Texans.....MGC

Aye, aye -- hunkering away.
1 likes   
Nothing that I post here should ever be treated as a forecast or anything resembling one. Please check with your local NWS office or the NHC for forecasts, watches, and warnings.

sphelps8681
Category 2
Category 2

#1056 Postby sphelps8681 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:38 pm

emings wrote:
jabman98 wrote:I'm a bit north and west of downtown Houston. We've had just under 2 inches of rain today. The TV weather people and Harris county officials kept saying Nicholas would be a rain event not a wind event, but it sure seems like we might see some wind now. We've had strong gusts here and there tonight. Definitely more wind and less rain than I expected. I was hearing something outside just after 10 p.m. so opened the door to look out. Could hardly get it closed the wind was so strong. Did not expect that to happen.

That is what the NWS Lake Charles just said on their live briefing. It is going to slow down.

rain and wind picking up on the northwest side of Houston
0 likes   

catskillfire51
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1057 Postby catskillfire51 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:42 pm

I'm about to be in the eye in Quintana
3 likes   

HouTXmetro
Category 5
Category 5

#1058 Postby HouTXmetro » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:44 pm

Nicholas looking better to the NW/W/SW on "satellite" presentation. Is this storm organizing further & shear lessening?
0 likes   
[Disclaimer: My Amateur Opinion, please defer to your local authorities or the NHC for Guidance.]

jabman98
Category 1
Category 1

#1059 Postby jabman98 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:44 pm

emeraldislenc wrote:It sounds more like a geography group discussion than a hurricane discussion. Thanks for the reports on the storm.

This storm is so weird. There are sections of "Houston" that haven't seen much rain at all and likely won't. And others that are going to get pummeled.
1 likes   

birddogsc
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1060 Postby birddogsc » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:46 pm

The center of circulation keeps moving on radar… how in the world do you call landfall?
1 likes   

Return to “2021”