ATL: INVEST 94L - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Discussion

#41 Postby CyclonicFury » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:30 pm

hurricanehunter69 wrote:Should we be concerned about the relative lack of SAL so far?

I always felt like SAL was the most overrated indicator for forecasting Atlantic hurricane activity. Sure it can suppress TCG in the moment. But I remember Michael Lowry mentioning in the past but above-normal levels of SAL in July were actually correlated with more active seasons. Last year we had that record-breaking SAL outbreak in late June, and 2020 was the most active season on record (though not particularly a MDR heavy year, but I don't think the June SAL outbreak had any impact on the peak season activity in the MDR).
2 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby Sciencerocks » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:36 pm

Strong SAL and above avg eastern Atlantic shear allow for the wave to advance westward where it forms in the western portion of the Atlantic, carribean or gulf. This increases landfalls on the united states. 2005 and 2020 were similar in this way.
5 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby SoupBone » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:46 pm

Sciencerocks wrote:Strong SAL and above avg eastern Atlantic shear allow for the wave to advance westward where it forms in the western portion of the Atlantic, carribean or gulf. This increases landfalls on the united states. 2005 and 2020 were similar in this way.

Great discussions outside of the topic of 94L. SAL seems to only impede development temporarily, allowing these systems to get closer to landfall rather than forming and curving out to sea. But is there data to support that theory? Maybe we need a dedicated topic on this.
4 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

hurricanehunter69
Category 1
Category 1

#44 Postby hurricanehunter69 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:03 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:
hurricanehunter69 wrote:Should we be concerned about the relative lack of SAL so far?

I always felt like SAL was the most overrated indicator for forecasting Atlantic hurricane activity. Sure it can suppress TCG in the moment. But I remember Michael Lowry mentioning in the past but above-normal levels of SAL in July were actually correlated with more active seasons. Last year we had that record-breaking SAL outbreak in late June, and 2020 was the most active season on record (though not particularly a MDR Iheavy year, but I don't think the June SAL outbreak had any impact on the peak season activity in the MDR).
As much as I hate to make a reference to 2005, I can't help but remember record low SAL that year.
4 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:23 pm

Better watch this closely overnight.. Convection building under the MLC and curved low level inflow becoming more pronounced. if convection persists overnight.. this has a decent shot.
10 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#46 Postby abajan » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:04 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:Better watch this closely overnight.. Convection building under the MLC and curved low level inflow becoming more pronounced. if convection persists overnight.. this has a decent shot.

Yep. I've been noticing the rebuilding convection over the last several hours.
1 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#47 Postby toad strangler » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:54 pm

Kazmit wrote:Crazy that we have an MDR invest right now despite everyone talking about the cool SSTs. If it warms back to average temps again, watch out.

Favorable background state can trump minor negative SST anomalies. That's what we have. We'll see. So much time left before peak season kickoff.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#48 Postby cycloneye » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:40 pm

That's all folks.

Showers and thunderstorms continued to diminish in association with
a tropical wave located a few hundred miles southwest of the Cabo
Verde Islands. Development of this system is no longer anticipated.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...near 0 percent.
3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:52 pm

Props to 94L for existing in this spot in June :D On to the next one
6 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#50 Postby Stormybajan » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:00 pm

cycloneye wrote:That's all folks.

Showers and thunderstorms continued to diminish in association with
a tropical wave located a few hundred miles southwest of the Cabo
Verde Islands. Development of this system is no longer anticipated.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...near 0 percent.

RIP 94L I guess it was June too soon for our big guy :( , will still monitor it though just out of curiosity
6 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:42 pm

far too early to kill the invest.
2 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby Shell Mound » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:16 am

0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Deshaunrob17
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#53 Postby Deshaunrob17 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:29 am

Loved seeing persons went wild posting hurricane models first run for 94l. We should know better about these hurricane models and their first run
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:13 am

Looking better this morning as expected.
2 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#55 Postby tolakram » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:30 am

Deshaunrob17 wrote:Loved seeing persons went wild posting hurricane models first run for 94l. We should know better about these hurricane models and their first run

What are you referring too?
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#56 Postby Stormybajan » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:09 am

tolakram wrote:
Deshaunrob17 wrote:Loved seeing persons went wild posting hurricane models first run for 94l. We should know better about these hurricane models and their first run

He means in the models thread for 94L, the second post there has intensity model guidance and basically all of them were at hurricane strength or higher (one even at Cat 4), but in anycase I see 94L still has some life in it needs to stay low enough to avoid the SAL if it wants to do anything significant
0 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#57 Postby tolakram » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:13 am

Stormybajan wrote:
tolakram wrote:

He means in the models thread for 94L, the second post there has intensity model guidance and basically all of them were at hurricane strength or higher (one even at Cat 4), but in anycase I see 94L still has some life in it needs to stay low enough to avoid the SAL if it wants to do anything significant

'Persons' did not go wild, those were the model outputs that are normally posted at the start of an invest. I don't like the implication that 'persons' were responsible as it sure looks like it's making fun of S2K members.
3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#58 Postby Ubuntwo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:29 am

Stormybajan wrote:
tolakram wrote:

That was statistical guidance (plus consensus models building off that), which really shouldn't be used when a system significantly strays from climatology in time/location. Only one global model, the GFS, ever developed this and it was pretty transient.

If this does ever develop, it will have been quite the sleeper wave.
4 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby AutoPenalti » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:32 am

You're in the WRONG place to be posting that.
4 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Return to “2021”