NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
200 PM EDT Sat Jun 26 2021

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

1. A tropical wave associated with a broad area of low pressure is
located over the eastern tropical Atlantic Ocean about 400 miles
south-southwest of the Cabo Verde Islands. Although shower and
thunderstorm activity is currently disorganized, some slow
development will be possible over the next several days while the
disturbance moves generally westward at 15 to 20 mph.

* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...20 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...30 percent.

Forecaster Papin/Stewart

Last edited by abajan on Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 likes   

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATL: INVEST 95L - Discussion

#82 Postby Stormybajan » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:57 pm

Hmmmm chances have increase from 10-10 to 20-30 in 3 and 5 days maybe theres a twist to this tale with 95L :wink:
1 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#83 Postby Aric Dunn » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:04 pm

Stormybajan wrote:Hmmmm chances have increase from 10-10 to 20-30 in 3 and 5 days maybe theres a twist to this tale with 95L :wink:

Model hugging can become detrimental to a forecast... models are a tool... you still have to look at the "Live" view of things. Models have not been initializing 95L correctly.. this morning's ASCAT passes may have played a role in the models/nhc chances going up.
6 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#84 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:05 pm

Stormybajan wrote:Hmmmm chances have increase from 10-10 to 20-30 in 3 and 5 days maybe theres a twist to this tale with 95L :wink:

Apparently it looks like it is riding just south of 10 N and due west, so unlike some of what the models initially thought 95L did not go as north as expected (which would have ultimately doomed it). Also interesting to see another AOI and the region where 95L would form lengthened, it looks like conditions down the road (like near the islands) could be less hostile
3 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

JRD
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#85 Postby JRD » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:25 pm

The Invest has been getting more organized in spite of dry air, Saharan dust, SSTs barely higher than 26, and hostile levels of wind shear. There's warmer SSTs and less shear to the west, yet there's a lot of shear over the Caribbean that will surely tear it apart unless it changes by the time 95L reaches the area.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#86 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:29 pm

JRD wrote:The Invest has been getting more organized in spite of dry air, Saharan dust, SSTs barely higher than 26, and hostile levels of wind shear. There's warmer SSTs and less shear to the west, yet there's a lot of shear over the Caribbean that will surely tear it apart unless it changes by the time 95L reaches the area.

https://twitter.com/Nichola76551479/status/1408840301863596033

Actually shear is predicted to be not very bad in the Caribbean by that time, as according to some of these tweets from Andy Hazelton
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#87 Postby wxman57 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:38 pm

Development chances are VERY subjective. We analyze the disturbance and the atmosphere ahead of it. We look at model support and past model history with genesis in a region. The NHC's Stewart has a reputation of going higher with probabilities than others there would, given the same information. This disturbance will be battling dry air and wind shear all along its path, particularly when it nears the Caribbean. I think 10% seems about right, but that's my subjective opinion, given the lack of model support for any development beyond a weak low.
5 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#88 Postby abajan » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:15 pm

Here's Mark Sudduth's take.
(Mark is a fellow S2K member.)
1 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#89 Postby aspen » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:03 pm

Mark has pointed out that 95L is worth watching to see if it develops once past 50W, when OHC and SSTs become high enough. 95L will cross 50W either late Tuesday or early Wednesday, and might have another day before either entering the Caribbean or striking some of the NE islands. It depends how south the wave is once it reaches that longitude, which itself is determined by the strength of the Bermuda High and if any part of the wave tries to consolidate prior to reaching 50-60W.

By Monday, it should become clearer as to whether or not this has a chance of development once it crosses 50W.
6 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#90 Postby Sciencerocks » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:21 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
JRD wrote:The Invest has been getting more organized in spite of dry air, Saharan dust, SSTs barely higher than 26, and hostile levels of wind shear. There's warmer SSTs and less shear to the west, yet there's a lot of shear over the Caribbean that will surely tear it apart unless it changes by the time 95L reaches the area.

https://twitter.com/Nichola76551479/status/1408840301863596033

Actually shear is predicted to be not very bad in the Caribbean by that time, as according to some of these tweets from Andy Hazelton

Well, better defined then Claudette's LLC was over the gulf. ;) Looks to be closed with some convection. It would probably have 60 or 70% chances in the gulf and would be borderline ready for PTC advisories.

8 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#91 Postby Aric Dunn » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:00 pm

VOrticity continues to increase and the circ continues to tighten.. plenty of low to mid level moisture. Shear will be low for the next several days.. and possibly after.

convection is slowly increasing around the center. 1 good solid burst and it would tighten up enough to be a TD.

7 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#92 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:14 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:VOrticity continues to increase and the circ continues to tighten.. plenty of low to mid level moisture. Shear will be low for the next several days.. and possibly after.

convection is slowly increasing around the center. 1 good solid burst and it would tighten up enough to be a TD.

https://i.ibb.co/4mTYd6n/LABELS-19700101-000000-94.gif

Oh yeah, it's definitely trying. This is June, but as we have been seeing quite recently, some of these waves (95L in particular) are trying their best to form.
0 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#93 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:16 pm

If there is one thing that I have learned over the years, it's that you have to keep an eye on these systems that seem to persist in the most unfriendly conditions. When they find a favorable area they usually will develop. Now, I'm not sure this will find a favorable area...but something to be aware of.
15 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#94 Postby abajan » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:20 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:VOrticity continues to increase and the circ continues to tighten.. plenty of low to mid level moisture. Shear will be low for the next several days.. and possibly after.

https://i.ibb.co/4mTYd6n/LABELS-19700101-000000-94.gif

:eek: That's one heck of a vorticity signature!
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#95 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:21 pm

ScottNAtlanta wrote:If there is one thing that I have learned over the years, it's that you have to keep an eye on these systems that seem to persist in the most unfriendly conditions. When they find a favorable area they usually will develop. Now, I'm not sure this will find a favorable area...but something to be aware of.

Laura and Dorian are two perfect, historic examples of this. I specifically remember people thinking that Laura was screwed as a TS near the Antilles due to all that SAL, but once it reached the Gulf, kaboom. Then you have Dorian, which was also struggling due to the dry air, but once it found that sweet spot above Puerto Rico and next to the Bahamas, it went haywire. Even Andrew back in 1992 was an example of how a struggling system, when escaping the hostile conditions and entering more favorable conditions, can do a 180.
7 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#96 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:39 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
ScottNAtlanta wrote:If there is one thing that I have learned over the years, it's that you have to keep an eye on these systems that seem to persist in the most unfriendly conditions. When they find a favorable area they usually will develop. Now, I'm not sure this will find a favorable area...but something to be aware of.

Laura and Dorian are two perfect, historic examples of this. I specifically remember people thinking that Laura was screwed as a TS near the Antilles due to all that SAL, but once it reached the Gulf, kaboom. Then you have Dorian, which was also struggling due to the dry air, but once it found that sweet spot above Puerto Rico and next to the Bahamas, it went haywire. Even Andrew back in 1992 was an example of how a struggling system, when escaping the hostile conditions and entering more favorable conditions, can do a 180.

There are lots of examples...Jeanne 2004 meandered all over the place as a TS then it found a favorable area and RI started. Katrina was actually TD10 that had degenerated into a wave and then found a good area and strengthened (the NHC listed it as 2 systems but it was the same wave)
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#97 Postby abajan » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:45 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:

Dorian was indeed the perfect example. Even though it passed directly over Barbados, it was poorly organized. I can hardly recall what happened. For the great majority of Barbadians it was basically a non-event (despite what the international news media had stated). Yes, there were some downed utility poles and such, but nothing major. We could hardly believe that what later devastated The Bahamas was the same system!
8 likes   

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#98 Postby Stormybajan » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:26 pm

abajan wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

Dorian was indeed the perfect example. Even though it passed directly over Barbados, it was poorly organized. I can hardly recall what happened. For the great majority of Barbadians it was basically a non-event (despite what the international news media had stated). Yes, there were some downed utility poles and such, but nothing major. We could hardly believe that what later devastated The Bahamas was the same system!

Its funny because what I mainly remember from Dorian was a rough rain shower or 2 and how beautiful the evening was with this strange Orange tint the sky it had in the evening. In regards of 95L I will say I am impressed in the way its fought off the marginal waters so far and has atleast tried to build a structure and based on the uptick in vorticity from the model runs today we will looking at 95L for quite a while yet
Last edited by Stormybajan on Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#99 Postby ElectricStorm » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:28 pm

Yeah this is definitely going to need to be watched down the road.
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

JRD
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#100 Postby JRD » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:39 pm

L95 has become a little less organized and more elongated. It's directly below a zone of high shear which will limit organization until it abates. Also, shear in the Caribbean and SW Atlantic is starting to weaken.
0 likes   

Return to “2021”