ATL: DANNY - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Prosepro
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: ATL: DANNY - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#181 Postby Prosepro » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:02 pm

Sciencerocks wrote:
Hammy wrote:Surprised we got a named storm out of this, especially given the satellite appearance this morning. Really looked like it had missed it's chance to get upgraded.

Can't remember the last time we've had something track W-WNW this long from that far north of a starting point.

It has been a tropical cyclones for the past 24-30 hours and was probably a 45-50 knot Tropical storm at one point last night. It was clear to me that recon was going to find it as a tropical storm! ;)

OK, yea. Danny will be forgotten by this Fall and will get another chance in another year to be something. Fun to follow something for a few days, but our Florida typical thunderstorms have kick Danny's behind for wind and rain, a few times this month already.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#182 Postby wxman57 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:07 pm

So far, the peak wind gust (not sustained wind) I've found was 30 kts (KARW). Some heavy rain near Savannah, though.
0 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#183 Postby AnnularCane » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:09 pm

aspen wrote:
Sciencerocks wrote:
Hammy wrote:Surprised we got a named storm out of this, especially given the satellite appearance this morning. Really looked like it had missed it's chance to get upgraded.

Can't remember the last time we've had something track W-WNW this long from that far north of a starting point.

It has been a tropical cyclones for the past 24-30 hours and was probably a 45-50 knot Tropical storm at one point last night. It was clear to me that recon was going to find it as a tropical storm! ;)

Speaking of which, I think there’s a good chance Danny is found to have developed on the 27th in its post-season report. There was a pretty good LLC yesterday, and convection was better organized at times. Not sure about it being a TS earlier than today, though.

I actually kind of hope not because I always feel like I've missed out or something when something like that happens. :sadly:
1 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#184 Postby Ubuntwo » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:40 pm

wxman57 wrote:So far, the peak wind gust (not sustained wind) I've found was 30 kts (KARW). Some heavy rain near Savannah, though.

Buoy 41033 was gusting to 37kt. Anemometer is elevated only 3 meters.
3 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#185 Postby Sciencerocks » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:45 pm

0 likes   

Prosepro
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#186 Postby Prosepro » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:48 pm

How about that outflow boundary all the way to Florida. Might feel it in a bit...
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#187 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:54 pm

8 PM:

...DANNY MAKES LANDFALL JUST NORTH OF HILTON HEAD ON PRITCHARDS
ISLAND SOUTH CAROLINA...
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#188 Postby wxman57 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:24 pm

Ubuntwo wrote:
wxman57 wrote:So far, the peak wind gust (not sustained wind) I've found was 30 kts (KARW). Some heavy rain near Savannah, though.

Buoy 41033 was gusting to 37kt. Anemometer is elevated only 3 meters.

That's now a 1-min average. Still no evidence of anything remotely close to TS winds on the beaches, not even wind gusts to TS strength. Strongest winds I can find now are 15-20 mph, and all squalls are inland. It started to look a bit impressive early this afternoon, but it weakened since recon left. Most likely a TD at landfall and a weaker TD now.
2 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#189 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:25 pm

I completely agree with the NHC on naming this. Definitely fits the criteria for a TS. Hopefully impacts remain minimal across the affected areas.

One thing I am concerned about that others have mentioned is that so far it appears that this year has a favorable background state just like last year where everything tries to develop...

I'm also getting the feeling that my 16 named storm prediction is going to bust big time
11 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

St0rmTh0r
Category 1
Category 1

#190 Postby St0rmTh0r » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:19 pm

AxaltaRacing24 wrote:Why does this season feel like 2020 part 2 so far? If 95 and 96L form, this start would end up being more active than last year's. Ominous sign.
no kidding 2020 the sequel 2021
0 likes   

Nederlander
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#191 Postby Nederlander » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:34 pm

From well-respected KFDM Met Greg Bostwick:

“The National Hurricane Center this afternoon named the tiny cluster of thunderstorms near Savannah, Georgia Tropical Storm Danny. I strongly disagree with the upgrade as surface pressures are quite high and no surface weather reports support sustained winds of tropical storm force.

It should be noted that there appears to be an increasing tendency by NHC to name storms when in previous years they would have not been classified. In fact, before weather satellites in the early 1960's, none of the current 4 storms would have received a name.”
3 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#192 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:36 pm

Nederlander wrote:From well-respected KFDM Met Greg Bostwick:

“The National Hurricane Center this afternoon named the tiny cluster of thunderstorms near Savannah, Georgia Tropical Storm Danny. I strongly disagree with the upgrade as surface pressures are quite high and no surface weather reports support sustained winds of tropical storm force.

It should be noted that there appears to be an increasing tendency by NHC to name storms when in previous years they would have not been classified. In fact, before weather satellites in the early 1960's, none of the current 4 storms would have received a name.”
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#193 Postby aspen » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:50 pm

Bill probably would’ve been caught. It was fairly strong for a June system and not far off the East Coast. Claudette definitely would’ve been noticed, but as for an upgrade…probably not.

Ana would’ve been missed without a doubt.

EDIT: what I mean by Ana likely being missed is that it was a very small TC that might not have been identified with 50s or 60s era technology or satellites. It was definitely a TC — the occasionally appearing naked swirl confirmed that — but would it have ever been spotted without the satellites of the later 1900s and present day?
Last edited by aspen on Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

HurricaneFrances04
Category 2
Category 2

#194 Postby HurricaneFrances04 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:53 pm

So because we didn’t have satellites 60 years ago, the NHC shouldn’t use them to classify systems? I don’t get his point.
19 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#195 Postby EquusStorm » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:57 pm

Well with all due respect, a met who doesn't know how tropical cyclones are properly classified perhaps shouldn't be that well respected when they mention things regarding tropical cyclone classifications. Reconnaissance confirmed tropical storm force winds, which is more accurate than sparse surface data ever could be, and pressure is irrelevant given its being embedded in a large high pressure area. Andrew had a pressure of 1015mb at one point in its early stages for similar reasons, with winds well into tropical storm force.

As I've said before, pre 1960s storm counts should be thrown out, as that data is incredibly incomplete with many missed storms due to primitive technology and primitive standards. The only correct named storm standards imo are about 1990 and beyond, and even then we probably missed 1-2 a year in the high latitudes. That's like throwing out every tornado that is confirmed by TDS and not observation, because 'we would have missed those before dual-pol tech' - the new data/storm count isn't wrong, the primitive data from the pre-satellite era is. That's 'well back in the GOOD OLE DAYS' and not science.

Where did this soap box come from and why am I standing on it
Last edited by EquusStorm on Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#196 Postby Hammy » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:57 pm

This is an awful take, one that should be beneath any professional meteorologist, and ignores both technological advancement and basic science, and also politicizing the storm by outright misrepresenting the situation to "prove" his take (a defined closed circulation with tropical storm winds is not "a tiny cluster of thunderstorms".)

Many storms that would've been missed prior to satellite is because we literally would not have known they exist, and pressures should not have any bearing whatsoever on classification as they are what establish the gradient, and surrounding pressures are quite high.
Last edited by Hammy on Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
21 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#197 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:59 pm

He's probably a good met, but I really can't stand the argument that these storms wouldn't have been named pre-satellite era. Like to me, while that period of time is interesting to analyze, there's absolutely no reason why anyone needs to bring up that argument when it comes to naming storms. If it's a TC, it's a TC no matter how short lived it is.

The only storm this year that was borderline was Claudette, but it still got named because it met the criteria.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me it's completely pointless, and even irresponsible, to compare the way we name storms now, then we did back then when we had hardly any of the technology we do now.

I respect all pro mets, but I highly dislike that argument... And it's not just him. Seems like every year someone makes a statement like this...
20 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#198 Postby Sciencerocks » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:11 pm

2 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#199 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:36 pm

Not so well respected now by using this ridiculous argument.

Maybe we should go back to using ships and getting weather reports via ships and telegraphs like in the 1800s, if better technology is causing too many storms to be named.
Last edited by Hypercane_Kyle on Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#200 Postby Sciencerocks » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:41 pm

I'd bet serious money that in 1960 a storm like Bill would have been upgraded. ;) If a ship would have made contact it probably would have found a slightly stronger storm too then the nhc's estimates. I'd bet on it.

I also suspect that the nhc in 1960 would have upgraded Danny 24 hours earlier.

Claudette would have been upgraded off the east coast.
Last edited by Sciencerocks on Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
6 likes   

Return to “2021”