ATL: ELSA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: ELSA - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4541 Postby LarryWx » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:19 pm

OuterBanker wrote:This storm has been puzzling from the start. It should have decoupled days ago. I started to breathe a sigh of relief when all the models shifted to the west. According to the models even the rain will be minor. But, after looking at the latest visible and IR it seems to be expanding to the east. It looks like the heights are dropping over the center and a second mlc circulation is forming near the Ga coast. Almost like it’s making a run to the coast. Not sure what to make of it.

Valdosta, Ga, has rapidly falling pressure of 29.75" as the center approaches. OTOH, Savannah, Brunswick, and nearby coastal and buoy locations are all well above that in the 29.95-30.05" range. So, at the surface, there's still only one solid center well inland. It is still quiet here in the Sav area with no rain and pretty light winds.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4542 Postby chaser1 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:30 pm

Evenstar wrote:Here is a dumb question to add to my other "useful contributions" to this forum...

Does Elsa's early formation portend a more active season overall or is she a one off? I am not asking y'all to predict the future. I'm just looking for educated guesses.

***I imagine someone at some point already asked this question, but I am shamelessly lazy and don't want to go through 226 pages of discussion to check...

****I apologize if this is not the right place to ask this question, but I did include "Elsa" in my question in order to pretend I am not off topic. :wink:

Not a dumb question. Early or active early season starts are often the fuel driving the debate about "what it means" for the heart of the season. The fact that Elsa was of MDR origin this early in the year, AND having a sustained storm track as it did..... suggests to me that the Atlantic over all conditions or "background state" will likely continue to be quite fertile for tropical cyclone development moving forward. Without getting in the weeds regarding "hyperactive" or record breaking...., it seems safe enough to bet on an overall busy Atlantic Hurricane season. What I personally find way more intriguing is how I believe Elsa's storm track serves as a sort of harbinger for other future storm tracks yet to come this season. That does not absolutely potent of additional Florida landfalls this season, but does generally suggest a pattern of similar storm tracks yet to come. Whether some of those storm tracks will veer north through the Bahamas, cruise through the Florida Straits en route to the N. GOM, etc. are dependant on steering & other conditions at that time. Time will tell but I have very little doubt, that Elsa's track is highly suggestive that Florida & the Bahamas will have additional landfall threats this season.
6 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#4543 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:42 pm

Elsa loves land. She has barely lost structure over Florida and continues to have a fully wrapped core
4 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4544 Postby OuterBanker » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:47 pm

LarryWx wrote:
OuterBanker wrote:This storm has been puzzling from the start. It should have decoupled days ago. I started to breathe a sigh of relief when all the models shifted to the west. According to the models even the rain will be minor. But, after looking at the latest visible and IR it seems to be expanding to the east. It looks like the heights are dropping over the center and a second mlc circulation is forming near the Ga coast. Almost like it’s making a run to the coast. Not sure what to make of it.

Valdosta, Ga, has rapidly falling pressure of 29.75" as the center approaches. OTOH, Savannah, Brunswick, and nearby coastal and buoy locations are all well above that in the 29.95-30.05" range. So, at the surface, there's still only one solid center well inland. It is still quiet here in the Sav area with no rain and pretty light winds.

Hmm, according to radar Sav is about to get nailed.
0 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4545 Postby AnnularCane » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:48 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:Elsa loves land. She has barely lost structure over Florida and continues to have a fully wrapped core

Is Fay 2008 somehow influencing our storms this year? :roflmao:
4 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#4546 Postby LarryWx » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:50 pm

OuterBanker wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

Hmm, according to radar Sav is about to get nailed.

Yeah, the start of the rain here is not too far away. Hopefully, we won't get all that heavy amounts. Got to watch for the tornadoes.
Last edited by LarryWx on Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#4547 Postby cheezyWXguy » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:51 pm

Tornado very clearly on the ground headed north toward the Jacksonville area. The cc drop isn’t small
2 likes   

Evenstar
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4548 Postby Evenstar » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:52 pm

chaser1 wrote:
Evenstar wrote:Here is a dumb question to add to my other "useful contributions" to this forum...

Does Elsa's early formation portend a more active season overall or is she a one off? I am not asking y'all to predict the future. I'm just looking for educated guesses.

***I imagine someone at some point already asked this question, but I am shamelessly lazy and don't want to go through 226 pages of discussion to check...

****I apologize if this is not the right place to ask this question, but I did include "Elsa" in my question in order to pretend I am not off topic. :wink:

Not a dumb question. Early or active early season starts are often the fuel driving the debate about "what it means" for the heart of the season. The fact that Elsa was of MDR origin this early in the year, AND having a sustained storm track as it did..... suggests to me that the Atlantic over all conditions or "background state" will likely continue to be quite fertile for tropical cyclone development moving forward. Without getting in the weeds regarding "hyperactive" or record breaking...., it seems safe enough to bet on an overall busy Atlantic Hurricane season. What I personally find way more intriguing is how I believe Elsa's storm track serves as a sort of harbinger for other future storm tracks yet to come this season. That does not absolutely potent of additional Florida landfalls this season, but does generally suggest a pattern of similar storm tracks yet to come. Whether some of those storm tracks will veer north through the Bahamas, cruise through the Florida Straits en route to the N. GOM, etc. are dependant on steering & other conditions at that time. Time will tell but I have very little doubt, that Elsa's track is highly suggestive that Florida & the Bahamas will have additional landfall threats this season.

Thank you so much.

These answers have all been so amazing, it's a bit humbling. I am most appreciative and I'm definitely printing them out for reference purposes!
0 likes   
I never received my Hogwarts letter, so I'm leaving the Shire and becoming a Sith Lord.

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#4549 Postby AlphaToOmega » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:18 pm

At the moment, the coasts of Georgia and South Carolina are under a Tropical Storm Warning. The coasts of North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts are under a Tropical Storm Watch. Tropical Storm Elsa is currently weakening over land, but there have been many instances of storms intensifying over land. Knowing how erratic Hurricane Elsa has been, maybe that is what it will do. That seems unlikely, but it is always a possibility. Hurricane Elsa is nearly identical to Hurricane Isaias in terms of its track.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#4550 Postby LarryWx » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:56 pm

Steady rain has just started here in the SAV, GA, area. Winds are still light.
0 likes   

NXStumpy_Robothing
Category 1
Category 1

#4551 Postby NXStumpy_Robothing » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:22 pm

Wow. The Jacksonville tornado earlier today was caught on video by Adam Pratt on Facebook, and it's much larger than I was anticipating. Warning - tweet contains NSFW language.

https://twitter.com/weathergarrett/status/1412896957455118336

3 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student, Georgia Institute of Technology

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4552 Postby Steve » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:44 pm

Another possible reason for the late intensification was the MJO barely coming out the circle into Phase 3.
3 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4553 Postby chaser1 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:01 pm

I'm still waiting for the rain dump Elsa was supposed to drop in the Orlando area :cheesy:
3 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4554 Postby chaser1 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:13 pm

I'm still waiting for the rain dump Elsa was supposed to drop in the Orlando area :cheesy:
2 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4555 Postby toad strangler » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:56 pm

Levi such a pro. A pro knows his game.

http://twitter.com/tropicaltidbits/status/1412816422011473920

3 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#4556 Postby LarryWx » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:24 pm

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/202 ... en-county/

A tornado touched down early Wednesday evening in Southeast Georgia as Tropical Storm Elsa moved through, according to the National Weather Service in Jacksonville.

According to Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, roughly 10 people were injured, including a pregnant woman.

:cry:
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#4557 Postby LarryWx » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:11 pm

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
SPECIAL MARINE WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC
903 PM EDT WED JUL 7 2021

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHARLESTON HAS ISSUED A

* SPECIAL MARINE WARNING FOR...
COASTAL WATERS FROM SAVANNAH GA TO ALTAMAHA SOUND GA OUT 20 NM ...
INCLUDING GRAYS REEF NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARY...

* UNTIL 1100 PM EDT.

* AT 902 PM EDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING
WATERSPOUTS WAS LOCATED NEAR DOBOY SOUND BUOY D, OR 9 NM NORTHEAST
OF ALTAMAHA SOUND, MOVING NORTH AT 10 KNOTS.

HAZARD...WATERSPOUTS AND WIND GUSTS 35 KNOTS OR GREATER.
0 likes   

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

#4558 Postby Vdogg » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:18 pm

The LLC is very close to the coast now and appears to have noticed the water. Convection is blowing up. It seems to be going maybe a little ENE instead of NE. This little jog may make a big difference. I suspect it may stay at least a minimal tropical storm all the way up the coast.
3 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#4559 Postby LarryWx » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:15 pm

All I can say now is holy moly here in SAV! Torrential rains and gusty winds have been occurring! Nothing minor about this storm.
9 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4560 Postby Steve » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:32 pm

:sun: b
LarryWx wrote:All I can say now is holy moly here in SAV! Torrential rains and gusty winds have been occurring! Nothing minor about this storm.

Post those videos Larry.
0 likes   

Return to “2021”