ATL: IDA - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: IDA - Tropical Depression - Discussion

#5181 Postby otowntiger » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:13 pm

Sanibel wrote:West eyewall destruction at Cocodrie just as bad as east...

Textbook high end category 4 wind and surge destruction...Note straight wind destruction on structures above surge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYYtrx5nmJA
wow! Looks like a giant tornado passed thru there!
0 likes   

talkinggoat
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#5182 Postby talkinggoat » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:19 pm

Analysis of Models? Which models were the most accurate in terms of timing, intensity and location, both separately and alone. I find the Canadian, although not the first to predict the general area, was the first to predict a landfall near port Fourchon, maintained the general area and was the most accurate in timing, overall. It completely failed to predict the intensity, however. The GFS was the first to predict a Louisiana landfall but wobbled between Vermillion bay and Fourchon. The Euro was lost, pretty much up to the end and none of the major Global models predicted the pressure correctly. I can't go back on Tropical Tidbits long enough to see what the HWRF and HMON predicted.
0 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#5183 Postby IcyTundra » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:34 pm

talkinggoat wrote:Analysis of Models? Which models were the most accurate in terms of timing, intensity and location, both separately and alone. I find the Canadian, although not the first to predict the general area, was the first to predict a landfall near port Fourchon, maintained the general area and was the most accurate in timing, overall. It completely failed to predict the intensity, however. The GFS was the first to predict a Louisiana landfall but wobbled between Vermillion bay and Fourchon. The Euro was lost, pretty much up to the end and none of the major Global models predicted the pressure correctly. I can't go back on Tropical Tidbits long enough to see what the HWRF and HMON predicted.

Euro was actually the first major model to show a Louisana landfall.

12Z Euro run on Tuesday, August 24th

12Z GFS on Tuesday, August 24th

12Z CMC on Tuesday, August 24th
4 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#5184 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:55 am

CrazyC83 wrote:Good riddance, Ida. You're heading to one place only: the :Can:. Won't be seeing you in 2027!

Lol Ida is still a depression even though best track suggested otherwise.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#5185 Postby FireRat » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:57 am

TallyTracker wrote:
jlauderdal wrote:
FireRat wrote:On a good note, at least so far, there seems to have been very few deaths during hurricane Ida. 2 so far, does anyone know just how populated the region worst hit by the surge and Cat 4 winds was? Perhaps this is a result of very successful evacuation & rescue operations, or on the contrary limited access to the worst hit areas? Time will tell but so far this seems to be a silver lining, maybe Ida was more about material destruction but with a low death toll instead, hopefully.

Usually, deaths post-hurricane are heart attacks during the cleanup, carbon monoxide poisoning, and electrocution. However, walking around floodwaters is never a good idea but plenty of peeps do it. This guy was attacked by an alligator and as alligators like to do, they take their prey and leave the scene.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/weather/h ... 56cf33a02c

Absolutely! My cousin died about 8 days after Michael when he was trying to cut down a half fallen tree by himself. There were a lot of deaths in Bay County in the days after Michael hit unfortunately. I hope people are careful after Ida and avoid the fatal mistakes that are too common after hurricane disasters. :cry:

Oh wow, sorry about your cousin TallyTracker :(
That really is sad, and goes to show how dangerous the aftermath can be as well. Jlauderdal that story about the gator is nuts, that poor fella, dang.
0 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#5186 Postby kevin » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:21 am

This has to be one longest lingering tropical systems after final landfall in recent times right? It's been like 3 days since landfall and somehow Ida is still a tropical depression. Can't recall the last time something like that happened.
3 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5187 Postby NDG » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:16 am

IcyTundra wrote:
talkinggoat wrote:Analysis of Models? Which models were the most accurate in terms of timing, intensity and location, both separately and alone. I find the Canadian, although not the first to predict the general area, was the first to predict a landfall near port Fourchon, maintained the general area and was the most accurate in timing, overall. It completely failed to predict the intensity, however. The GFS was the first to predict a Louisiana landfall but wobbled between Vermillion bay and Fourchon. The Euro was lost, pretty much up to the end and none of the major Global models predicted the pressure correctly. I can't go back on Tropical Tidbits long enough to see what the HWRF and HMON predicted.

https://i.ibb.co/MNxFpkx/ecmwf-z500-mslp-watl-fh72-168.gif

https://i.imgur.com/YQaNxdX.png

https://i.ibb.co/gD19fXD/gem-z500-mslp-watl-fh66-156.gif

Yes, the Euro was the first global to sniff a more northerly track into LA. I believe the ICON was also right along with the Euro or shortly after.
After the other global models latched on, the Euro became too west biased, showing landfall between Morgan City and Lafayette, the ICON also went along with the Euro at one time showing landfall west of Lafayette.
The Canadian was right biased, landfall near Grand Isle up straight to Nola but at the end it did not do too bad with its consistency that it was going to make landfall on the right side of the consensus.
The GFS in the shorter term did better than the Euro not only in track but in timing. I remember the GFS being dismissed because it was showing landfall around noon on Monday when the Euro was showing early Tuesday morning to late Monday evening.
The HWRF and HMON were left biased run after run.
HMON was horrible with the strength forecast.
2 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5188 Postby NDG » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:17 am

Last edited by NDG on Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#5189 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:25 am

IcyTundra wrote:

https://i.ibb.co/MNxFpkx/ecmwf-z500-mslp-watl-fh72-168.gif

https://i.imgur.com/YQaNxdX.png

https://i.ibb.co/gD19fXD/gem-z500-mslp-watl-fh66-156.gif

There is a models thread for this.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

TallyTracker
Category 2
Category 2

#5190 Postby TallyTracker » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:52 am

This is so heartbreaking to see! :cry: I know so many people that went through this with Michael. I still haven’t heard if my cousin has a house to return to in Westwego. Praying for everyone impacted! :(
1 likes   
Fran '96, Georges '98, Gordon '00, Gabrielle '01, Charley '04, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Barry '07, Fay '08, Debby '12, Matthew '16, Emily '17, Irma '17, Michael ‘18, Elsa ‘21, Fred ‘21, Mindy ‘21, Nicole ‘22, Idalia ‘23

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#5191 Postby Shell Mound » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:49 am

0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

TheDreamTraveler
Category 2
Category 2

#5192 Postby TheDreamTraveler » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:32 am

My town is forecast to get 5-7 inches of rain today from Ida...also a huge threat of loss of life due to all the flash flooding. Hopefully it doesn't add to Ida's death toll. Most of PA is getting smashed from the rain currently. Later today we're going to have 1-2 inch per hour rates for a few hours at least

I've been outside and everything is already flooded because the ground was already super saturated from a wet summer and the remnants of Fred and Henri hitting
2 likes   

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: IDA - Remnants - Discussion

#5193 Postby AlphaToOmega » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:54 am

Ida is officially a remnant low.
0 likes   

SecondBreakfast
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#5194 Postby SecondBreakfast » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:57 am

Good thing the Susquehanna is running low currently for Pennsylvania’s sake, but I’m worried about flash flooding in NNJ/NYC/LI. Some of the local storm chasers are talking about tornado threat overnight which is…not my favorite sleeping weather.

Raritan River is expecting major flooding, and the smaller streams are going to be a mess.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrogr ... n4&wfo=phi
0 likes   
Biologist by training, weather enthusiast for life.

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: IDA - Remnants - Discussion

#5195 Postby Blinhart » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:10 am

AlphaToOmega wrote:Ida is officially a remnant low.

But I'm sure she can still come back to life once she gets offshore.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#5196 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:20 am

Excellent work by HurricaneTrack, shared with us. Very early analysis: http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=122206&p=2938334#p2938334
5 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: IDA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#5197 Postby aspen » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:11 pm

It’s a deluge here in SW CT, and TWC is forecasting an additional 3-5 inches of rain overnight. Ida’s remnants are even more impactful than Henri.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#5198 Postby Sciencerocks » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:55 pm

0 likes   

SecondBreakfast
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#5199 Postby SecondBreakfast » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:13 pm

Tornado emergency in Trenton. Heavy damage from a violent tornado on the ground.

https://twitter.com/ywnreporter/status/ ... 51265?s=21
0 likes   
Biologist by training, weather enthusiast for life.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#5200 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:13 pm

Tornado emergency for Trenton, NJ. Wow
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Return to “2021”