ATL: IDA - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 99L - Discussion - Central Caribbean

#81 Postby Blinhart » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:40 am

Do we have Recon on stand-by for this system? If so, what is their flight plan?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#82 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:46 am

Blinhart wrote:Do we have Recon on stand-by for this system? If so, what is their flight plan?

Later today there will be a TCPOD and I assume some missions will be there for Friday and Saturday.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

#83 Postby Hurricane Mike » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:47 am

Waking up this morning to more disturbing model trends. The GFS has now consistently shown run after run, 99L becoming a major hurricane landfall in the Texas/Louisiana Gulf Coast region. The EURO also shows 99L becoming a significant storm, and shows another powerful Cape Verde hurricane approaching the Caribbean in about a week. The EURO has also shown this for a few runs now.

I'm reminded of when Harvey was nothing more than a wave in the Caribbean, yet models began consistently showing a major hurricane approaching the Texas coast. We could have a problem here.
1 likes   

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#84 Postby ColdMiser123 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:48 am

This is what models have trended toward over the last day or so, and if observations are starting to line up with these model forecasts, then this could give higher confidence for a US impacting storm.

~90% of the GEFS/EPS now show US landfall, a stark contrast from even just two days ago.
1 likes   
B.S., M.S., Meteorology & Atmospheric Science

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#85 Postby SoupBone » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:50 am

cycloneye wrote:
Blinhart wrote:Do we have Recon on stand-by for this system? If so, what is their flight plan?

Later today there will be a TCPOD and I assume some missions will be there for Friday and Saturday.

I try my best to not be critical and understand agencies' decisions, but this is baffling. This system has the potential to start impacting the US coast on Sunday. They should be flying today.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#86 Postby MississippiWx » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:54 am

SoupBone wrote:
cycloneye wrote:

I try my best to not be critical and understand agencies' decisions, but this is baffling. This system has the potential to start impacting the US coast on Sunday. They should be flying today.

I get your point, but until there is a reasonable question if a center of circulation exists, there is no point in low-level recon. While I believe a center is beginning to consolidate near 13N 75W, it's obviously still a trof. Now, upper level dropsonde missions could be conducted before a storm consolidates, but they won't do it. I'm sure the whole premise is to conserve resources and not waste them in case the system doesn't develop.
3 likes   
This post is not an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of MississippiWx and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#87 Postby SoupBone » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:56 am

MississippiWx wrote:
SoupBone wrote:
cycloneye wrote:

I get your point, but until there is a reasonable question if a center of circulation exists, there is no point in low-level recon. While I believe a center is beginning to consolidate near 13N 75W, it's obviously still a trof. Now, upper level dropsonde missions could be conducted before a storm consolidates, but they won't do it. I'm sure the whole premise is to conserve resources and not waste them in case the system doesn't develop.

This is what I was referencing, I should have been more clear. This is still very useful data for the models to have.
1 likes   

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#88 Postby Blinhart » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:07 am

SoupBone wrote:
MississippiWx wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

This is what I was referencing, I should have been more clear. This is still very useful data for the models to have.

Yeah, I think dropsondes should be starting to be dropped from today on from when they take off and do a thorough grid drop across the GoM and make landings where possible to refuel and continue with the grid drop all across the GoM and the Caribbean, especially since models are showing future tropical activity, this data will be helpful for the current and the next few days. I know this isn't cheap but this is the time of year we need as much data as possible, they also need to do so G-IV flights for the upper level obs.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#89 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:08 am

Breaking News

First mission to check 99L will be on Thursday. So SoupBone, there you have it.

https://twitter.com/53rdWRS/status/1430546060305371136

8 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#90 Postby PTrackerLA » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:08 am

Already becoming easy to see where 99L is consolidating on satellite. Did not expect to see this sort of organization this early.

5 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#91 Postby SoupBone » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:10 am

cycloneye wrote:Breaking News

First mission to check 99L will be on Thursday. So SoupBone, there you have it.

https://twitter.com/53rdWRS/status/1430546060305371136

Nice! I called in a favor. :lol:
4 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 99L - Discussion - Central Caribbean Update= Recon for Thursday

#92 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:11 am

It is going to take some time to get a west wind in that region though
1 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#93 Postby Dean4Storms » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:18 am

Definitely see some lower level spin near 13N and almost 76W moving NW. Convection firing with it now.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#94 Postby wxman57 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:21 am

Beginning to think LA, not Texas for landfall. Really, anywhere from Corpus to the MS coast.
10 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#95 Postby Blown Away » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:25 am

Not much history of Aug/Sept storms from @12z starting point.
2 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

HouTXmetro
Category 5
Category 5

#96 Postby HouTXmetro » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:28 am

wxman57 wrote:Beginning to think LA, not Texas for landfall. Really, anywhere from Corpus to the MS coast.

Just yesterday we were questioning whether this would get pushed into South Texas/Mexico and go west after landfall. What a difference one day makes.
1 likes   
[Disclaimer: My Amateur Opinion, please defer to your local authorities or the NHC for Guidance.]

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#97 Postby BigB0882 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:29 am

wxman57 wrote:Beginning to think LA, not Texas for landfall. Really, anywhere from Corpus to the MS coast.

That scares the crap out of me, coming from you. Take it back and let us have a snowy winter!!!!
6 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#98 Postby Kazmit » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:32 am

Seems like the northern gulf coast has been a hotspot in the past few years.
0 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#99 Postby MississippiWx » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:36 am

Kazmit wrote:

Seems like the northern gulf coast has been a hotspot in the past few years.

Louisiana and Florida have taken the brunt of it while we in MS have been on the fringes. Wondering if our streak of luck continues at the expense of our neighbors. I know one thing: the Lake Charles area certainly doesn't need a strong hurricane.
1 likes   
This post is not an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of MississippiWx and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#100 Postby wxman57 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:37 am

HouTXmetro wrote:

Just yesterday we were questioning whether this would get pushed into South Texas/Mexico and go west after landfall. What a difference one day makes.

I began upping my hurricane supplies yesterday. All batteries fully charged. Only thing left for me to do is to get gas for the generator, which I won't do until a day or so before impact.
2 likes   

Return to “2021”