WPAC: RAI - Post-Tropical

Moderator: S2k Moderators

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

Re: WPAC: RAI - Typhoon

#161 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:44 pm

Whatever name Rai replaced is cursed. Rai's only been used twice, its predecessors only once... all of them retired. Won't be surprised to see it gone alongside Odette.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#162 Postby mrbagyo » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:47 pm

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:Whatever name Rai replaced is cursed. Rai's only been used twice, its predecessors only once... all of them retired. Won't be surprised to see it gone alongside Odette.

Odette was used by Pagasa on Sty Usagi IIRC. It registered a 306 kpg gust in Batanes
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC, NHC and NWS products.

Monsoonjr99
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#163 Postby Monsoonjr99 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:47 pm

This storm really exploded today just hours before landfall. :eek:

Reminds me a bit of Bopha mixed with Kammuri and Eta.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Some Californian who codes things and tracks weather.

Kay '22, Hilary '23

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#164 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:49 pm

mrbagyo wrote:
xtyphooncyclonex wrote:Whatever name Rai replaced is cursed. Rai's only been used twice, its predecessors only once... all of them retired. Won't be surprised to see it gone alongside Odette.

Odette was used by Pagasa on Sty Usagi IIRC. It registered a 306 kpg gust in Batanes

I remember tracking that in the midst of the 2013 deluge of majors in the late half of the year. She was a beast but this could outdo her.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#165 Postby mrbagyo » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:59 pm

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:
mrbagyo wrote:

I remember tracking that in the midst of the 2013 deluge of majors in the late half of the year. She was a beast but this could outdo her.

definitely, this years iteration of Odette is goin to cross a more vulnerable populace. The folks up north are very accustomed to Strong TCs, the southerners - not so much.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC, NHC and NWS products.

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#166 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:03 pm

mrbagyo wrote:definitely, this years iteration of Odette is goin to cross a more vulnerable populace. The folks up north are very accustomed to Strong TCs, the southerners - not so much.

Certainly, we're not used to storms like these at all. When I thought a category 1-2 strike over Metro Cebu was already bad, how much more could be said about a category 4-5? The only ones that I know are Haiyan and Mike, but the former went for the north tip while the other the metro itself.

Even a typhoon strike here is already rare... I don't know how we'll hold up to this, being in the northern eyewall.
1 likes   

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#167 Postby mrbagyo » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:09 pm

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:
mrbagyo wrote:definitely, this years iteration of Odette is goin to cross a more vulnerable populace. The folks up north are very accustomed to Strong TCs, the southerners - not so much.

Certainly, we're not used to storms like these at all. When I thought a category 1-2 strike over Metro Cebu was already bad, how much more could be said about a category 4-5? The only ones that I know are Haiyan and Mike, but the former went for the north tip while the other the metro itself.

Even a typhoon strike here is already rare... I don't know how we'll hold up to this, being in the northern eyewall.

This will also baptize the new bridge (the longest one)
2 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#168 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:35 pm

mrbagyo wrote:This will also baptize the new bridge (the longest one)

Literally! Funny thing is, the crosses were starting to be lit yesterday. I wonder what's gonna happen to the cranes and unfinished progress.
0 likes   

doomhaMwx
Category 5
Category 5

#169 Postby doomhaMwx » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:36 pm

Cool to see that NOAA's lightning strike density product, which simulates data from the GOES satellite, is showing lots of lightning activity in Rai's eyewall — something indeed commonly seen in rapidly intensifying TCs like this!

3 likes   
Like my content? Consider giving a tip.

stormstrike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#170 Postby stormstrike » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:29 pm

Nearing SIARGAO island.

0 likes   

WAcyclone
Category 1
Category 1

#171 Postby WAcyclone » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:51 pm

Hayabusa wrote:
Imran_doomhaMwx wrote:Any possible direct SAR or SMAP pass before landfall?

SMAP still has not performed a pass on Rai ever since it formed, hopefully it does before Rai makes landfall.

SMAP captured Rai at 0856 UTC on 15 December and estimated a max 10-minute wind of 67.7 kt (ca. 75.2 kt 1-min). There should be at least one additional pass of the storm later today.

0 likes   

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#172 Postby mrbagyo » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:15 pm

landfall is just an hour or two away

0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#173 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:37 pm

10 hours till landfall and we're getting gale-force gusts and moderate rain. Time check 12:37. Power also acting up a bit... My aunt in Maasin said they lost power already.
0 likes   

stormstrike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#174 Postby stormstrike » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:40 pm

might be late, but JMA upgraded to Violent (105 kts)
0 likes   

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#175 Postby mrbagyo » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:48 pm

Last edited by mrbagyo on Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

doomhaMwx
Category 5
Category 5

#176 Postby doomhaMwx » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:55 pm

stormstrike wrote:might be late, but JMA upgraded to Violent (105 kts)

T2122(Rai)
Issued at 2021/12/16 03:45 UTC
Analisys at 12/16 03 UTC
Category TY
Scale -
Intensity Violent
Center Position N9°50′(9.8°)
E126°55′(126.9°)
Direction and speed of movement W 25km/h(14kt)
Central pressure 915hPa
Maximum wind speed near the center 55m/s(105kt)
Maximum wind gust speed 75m/s(150kt)
50-kt wind area WIDE220km(120NM)
30-kt wind area NE440km(240NM)
SW280km(150NM)
0 likes   
Like my content? Consider giving a tip.

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#177 Postby mrbagyo » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:22 am

actual pressure is probably higher than JMA's estimates.
0 likes   

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#178 Postby mrbagyo » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:11 am

Storm Surge in Tubajon, Dinagat - full video Link

Last edited by mrbagyo on Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 8 times in total.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#179 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:11 am

Landfall
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#180 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:27 am

0 likes   

Return to “2021”