ATL: EARL - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: EARL - Hurricane - Discussion

#761 Postby aspen » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:09 pm

ElectricStorm wrote:107kt FL, 76kt SFMR in E eyewall. 80kts looks pretty good, NHC spot on

Pressure looks to be a tad lower than what the NHC set it as for the 8pm intermediate advisory. The eye drop of 970/5 supports 969mb.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#762 Postby Hammy » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:10 pm

Winds still don't seem to be mixing quite so well. Still not sure this reaches Cat 3 given the size will decrease the pressure gradient.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Landy
Category 1
Category 1

#763 Postby Landy » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:14 pm

50nm eye now closed per latest VDM.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#764 Postby aspen » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:57 pm

Two drops in the E eyewall found winds of 83 and 85 kt, respectively. Maybe that’ll be enough to upgrade this to a Cat 2 at 11pm.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#765 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:59 pm

Lowest Extrapolated pressure is 966.1 MB on the 3rd pass.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#766 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:07 pm

80kt SFMR in the SW eyewall, that's the highest so far. Looks like they turned back towards the center
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#767 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:10 pm

ElectricStorm wrote:80kt SFMR in the SW eyewall, that's the highest so far. Looks like they turned back towards the center

They're likely going to try the NE Eyewall since it's usually the strongest quad, when it's 80 knots SFMR in usually the weakest area, it's better to test the NE side for the true intensity possiblity.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#768 Postby cycloneye » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:25 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#769 Postby Hurricane2022 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:33 pm

I think the next recon will likely find a major hurricane, or something close to that.
1 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#770 Postby cheezyWXguy » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:33 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
ElectricStorm wrote:80kt SFMR in the SW eyewall, that's the highest so far. Looks like they turned back towards the center

They're likely going to try the NE Eyewall since it's usually the strongest quad, when it's 80 knots SFMR in usually the weakest area, it's better to test the NE side for the true intensity possiblity.

Actually it might not be the strongest quad this time. NE quad is usually the strongest on westward moving hurricanes, but since this is moving N or NNE, I think the strongest winds are probably in the E or SE quads
0 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#771 Postby cheezyWXguy » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:41 pm

Also, I’m still pretty confident we’re gonna get a major out of this. If FL winds were low enough that they remained consistent with a 0.9 reduction to SFMR, then I’d be inclined to think this will remain too broad for the winds to catch up to the pressure. However, since FL winds would support about 10kt higher than current intensity, it seems more likely that we just need deeper convection to mix those winds down.
2 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#772 Postby Hammy » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:01 pm

Pressure's leveled off and the last pass is even up 1mb from the previous
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#773 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:06 pm

Hammy wrote:Pressure's leveled off and the last pass is even up 1mb from the previous

this hurricane will easily reach major status. Its currently over performing. It should even reach Cat 4. Cat 5 may be out of the question but a solid cat 4 can't be ruled out. Actually, this could be a cat 5 if the trough helps enough. Although I doubt it. Still, easy major for Earl.
3 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#774 Postby Sciencerocks » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:07 pm

1 likes   

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#775 Postby galaxy401 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:51 pm

Now a Category 2 per the latest NHC advisory.
2 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#776 Postby cheezyWXguy » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:53 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:
Hammy wrote:Pressure's leveled off and the last pass is even up 1mb from the previous

this hurricane will easily reach major status. Its currently over performing. It should even reach Cat 4. Cat 5 may be out of the question but a solid cat 4 can't be ruled out. Actually, this could be a cat 5 if the trough helps enough. Although I doubt it. Still, easy major for Earl.

If it makes it to cat4 I believe it’ll be the farthest north one on record, and I think there’s a decent chance it will. I can’t imagine what combination of conditions would need to come together for a 5, that seems all but impossible to me
1 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#777 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:57 pm

This is gonna be one enormous hurricane. Wow. I love massive, intense hurricanes.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#778 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:59 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:
InfernoFlameCat wrote:

If it makes it to cat4 I believe it’ll be the farthest north one on record, and I think there’s a decent chance it will. I can’t imagine what combination of conditions would need to come together for a 5, that seems all but impossible to me

Its got below 10 knots of shear soon, 29 SSTS, and a favorable trough interaction. Conditions are about as good as they get, only issue is upwelling for Earl. It even has the time.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#779 Postby Hammy » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:18 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:
InfernoFlameCat wrote:

Debby in 1982 reached Cat 4 at 38.8N (not sure if that's the record though)

Also I'm not sure why the flight level reduction is being blended here when the actual surface data continues to support 80kt.
1 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#780 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:22 pm

96kt FL, 82kt SFMR in NE quad, looks like winds are slowly making their way down
2 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Return to “2022”