ATL: EARL - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: ATL: EARL - Hurricane - Discussion

#801 Postby wxman57 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:00 am

I don't see a double eyewall on that microwave image. Inner eyewall must be already gone. This is when a hurricane would be at its weakest between ERCs. Max winds are around 75 kts.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#802 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:19 am

Convection finally starting to wrap all the way around, maybe that will help tighten up the core a bit. As wxman said though, this doesn't really look like anything higher than a Cat 1 at the moment though. Still at 90kts on the 12z BT so we'll see what they do at the advisory.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#803 Postby wxman57 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:31 am

ElectricStorm wrote:Convection finally starting to wrap all the way around, maybe that will help tighten up the core a bit. As wxman said though, this doesn't really look like anything higher than a Cat 1 at the moment though. Still at 90kts on the 12z BT so we'll see what they do at the advisory.

I doubt that the NHC will acknowledge that Earl has weakened. They don't want residents of Bermuda to relax and not take it seriously. In addition, the falling central pressure suggests that winds will increase soon. Any changes would come with the storm report next spring.
6 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#804 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:38 am

Looks like a big dry slot got to the core as well. We'll see if that convection can choke it off
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#805 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:39 am

Hurricanes rapidly fluctuate during EWRCs. It would be dangerous to say Earl has weakened because it will likely very quickly regain its lost intensity after completing the EWRC.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#806 Postby tropicwatch » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:40 am

With the pressure continuing to fall. I would think we should start seeing an increase in winds before it reaches Bermuda.
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#807 Postby cheezyWXguy » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:42 am

What evidence is there that an EWRC occurred? The eye contracted overnight from 50nm to 47nm, I haven’t seen a double wind max on any recon flight, and it doesn’t look like microwave supports it either. Are we sure recon didn’t fly through the quadrant with the expected highest winds while there was that huge gap in it?
1 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#808 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:43 am

cheezyWXguy wrote:What evidence is there that an EWRC occurred? The eye contracted overnight from 50nm to 47nm, I haven’t seen a double wind max on any recon flight, and it doesn’t look like microwave supports it either. Are we sure recon didn’t fly through the quadrant with the expected highest winds while there was that huge gap in it?

I think it had one early last night. It still is dealing with closing off the huge eye it has.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#809 Postby aspen » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:44 am

ElectricStorm wrote:Looks like a big dry slot got to the core as well. We'll see if that convection can choke it off

Yeah that might be why the winds are down this morning. The dry slot (red) has been there for hours, but recently, the convective band (light blue) that was previously restricted to the western side of Earl has wrapped all the way around the core, which should result in the dry air being mixed out and winds increasing again through this afternoon.
2 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#810 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:48 am

Man, Earl was nearly a best case scenario! if only it was a little farther east for Bermuda to be fine, it would be the perfect storm to watch. Well, not as good as Sam, but still pretty good. This is awesome. Its what inspires me to watch a loop for hours lol.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#811 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:48 am

aspen wrote:
ElectricStorm wrote:Looks like a big dry slot got to the core as well. We'll see if that convection can choke it off

Yeah that might be why the winds are down this morning. The dry slot (red) has been there for hours, but recently, the convective band (light blue) that was previously restricted to the western side of Earl has wrapped all the way around the core, which should result in the dry air being mixed out and winds increasing again through this afternoon.
https://i.imgur.com/py73MP5.jpg

Yeah I think the wrapping convection should mix that out pretty easily, then it will be back to strengthening.

Anyone know when the next recon is? Looks like this plane is done
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#812 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:51 am

Also, we might see a major hurricane force low once Earl transitions. that may be quite a site to see such a powerful exposed LLC.
1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#813 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:12 am

ElectricStorm wrote:
aspen wrote:

Yeah I think the wrapping convection should mix that out pretty easily, then it will be back to strengthening.

Nope! It turned back for another pass!
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

KirbyDude25
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#814 Postby KirbyDude25 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:29 am

Iceresistance wrote:
ElectricStorm wrote:
aspen wrote:Yeah that might be why the winds are down this morning. The dry slot (red) has been there for hours, but recently, the convective band (light blue) that was previously restricted to the western side of Earl has wrapped all the way around the core, which should result in the dry air being mixed out and winds increasing again through this afternoon.

Looks like it turned around again. Not sure if that means they're done or if they're just adjusting their fly-in angle
0 likes   
New Jersey, Rutgers '27
Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Fay 2020 | Isaias 2020 | Ida 2021

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#815 Postby aspen » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:33 am

Another recon plane is about to take off and should be at Earl’s center in a few hours.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#816 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:41 am

KirbyDude25 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
ElectricStorm wrote:Yeah I think the wrapping convection should mix that out pretty easily, then it will be back to strengthening.

Looks like it turned around again. Not sure if that means they're done or if they're just adjusting their fly-in angle

TT said that they are done, so maybe they were repositioning to fly back to base?
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#817 Postby Sciencerocks » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:47 am

3 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#818 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:54 am

aspen wrote:Another recon plane is about to take off and should be at Earl’s center in a few hours.

And has been turned back, what happened?
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

KirbyDude25
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#819 Postby KirbyDude25 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:57 am

Iceresistance wrote:
aspen wrote:Another recon plane is about to take off and should be at Earl’s center in a few hours.

And has been turned back, what happened?

Maybe some fuel or equipment problems? I'm not sure. At least they realized quickly and could be back in the air soon
0 likes   
New Jersey, Rutgers '27
Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Fay 2020 | Isaias 2020 | Ida 2021

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#820 Postby wxman57 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:58 am

As I suspected, NHC went with 90 kts. They never like to indicate weakening prior to landfall or a close-approach, no matter what recon says.
2 likes   

Return to “2022”