Re: ATL: EARL - Models

#501 Postby drezee » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:59 am

2 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#502 Postby aspen » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:16 am

All three hurricane models turn Earl into a major and have it start to structurally improve sometime on Wednesday, but they have quite different outcomes.

The HWRF is a little slower to show Earl with a complete eyewall, but in terms of forward speed, it’s the fastest of the three and has Earl at 38N on Saturday morning. A fast recurve isn’t guaranteed because some of the models or ensemble members are showing the possibility of a stall or Felix ‘95/Jose ‘17 loop. The HWRF gets this into the 940s.

The HMON is a little slower than the HWRF and maybe gets a complete eyewall slightly faster, but the difference is that it keeps starting an EWRC as Earl passes by Bermuda. It also gets into the low 940s, but if that EWRC were to verify, Earl would probably be weaker.

The HAFS is the quickest to show Earl with a complete eyewall, and then goes nuts and turns this into a 145kt/920mb Cat 5…at over 30N. Technically not impossible because the SSTs can support a Cat 5 MPI, but highly unlikely.

Both the HWRF and HMON seem to have shifted a little west from their runs at this point yesterday. Bermuda gets impacted by Earl’s western rain bands and might be receiving TS force winds on both runs.
3 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Cuda
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#503 Postby Cuda » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:41 am

Could someone break this down for me a bit more? I'm trying to learn how to read/understand these maps, the lows/highs and how they affect track.

It looks like to me the Bermuda high is very far north/west. Would that mean that it would have very little impact in terms of steering on Danielle since it is so far removed from that area? How does that midwest feature that is circled affect things?
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#504 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:31 am

6Z Euro
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#505 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:43 am

Cuda wrote:

Could someone break this down for me a bit more? I'm trying to learn how to read/understand these maps, the lows/highs and how they affect track.

It looks like to me the Bermuda high is very far north/west. Would that mean that it would have very little impact in terms of steering on Danielle since it is so far removed from that area? How does that midwest feature that is circled affect things?

Storms are driven by upper level wind flow. The stronger the storm the higher the level. 850MB is right above the surface, or low level flow. Waves track with lower level flow. 500MB is generally a good level for most tropical storms and hurricanes since flow up at 500MB and higher is usually, but not always, similar. The flow around a low pressure system is counter clockwise, so in that upper level low over Wisconsin exerts some influence over Earl IF it's actually in that position AND it's strong enough AND no other feature is strong enough to override it.

A strong high pressure system, clockwise flow, drives storms west but it also depends on the tilt, position, and strength. Most importantly these are model predictions and the further one gets from NOW the less accurate every model gets.

That's amateur analysis, it's dramatically more complex than that and quickly goes above my ability to understand it, other than the basics.

You can go to this page on CIMSS to see current steering winds. https://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/dlmmain.php?&basin=atlantic&sat=wg8&prod=dlm1&zoom=&time=

Edit: Adding a suggestion from AJC3

Storms are driven by mean layer wind flow. The stronger the storm the deeper the steering layer.

The reason I wanted to point this out is that no matter how strong a TC is, there is always going to be some contribution to the steering flow from the low to mid level (i.e. 850-700MB) wind flow.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Cuda
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#506 Postby Cuda » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:43 pm

Thank you. That gives me a lot of good additional info to learn about.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#507 Postby aspen » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:05 am

The hurricane models are in good agreement that Earl will start to improve tomorrow, with more of a proper eyewall forming. The eye then pops out midday Thursday or later that afternoon, and RI commences before ending early Saturday as it starts to undergo post-tropical transition. It won’t be a super high ACE major, but it could get up to 15-20 ACE and potentially reach Category 4 status.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#508 Postby tolakram » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:57 am

Cuda wrote:Thank you. That gives me a lot of good additional info to learn about.

On of our pro-mets had something to add to my description:

Hey Mark...wanted to let you know of a minor correction to your post, so that you can tweak it as you see fit.

This...
Storms are driven by upper level wind flow. The stronger the storm the higher the level.

Would be better written as...
Storms are driven by mean layer wind flow. The stronger the storm the deeper the steering layer.

The reason I wanted to point this out is that no matter how strong a TC is, there is always going to be some contribution to the steering flow from the low to mid level (i.e. 850-700MB) wind flow.

I'm going to add that bit to my original reply.
3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#509 Postby cycloneye » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:48 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#510 Postby cycloneye » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:08 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “2022”