Moderator: S2k Moderators

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 98L - Discussion

#41 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:55 am

This has a lot of dry air to the north. Lots of collapsing convection arcs
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

zzzh
Category 2
Category 2

#42 Postby zzzh » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:57 am

No model has predicted this.
We could see a TD/TS very soon.
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby AutoPenalti » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:01 am

ScottNAtlanta wrote:This has a lot of dry air to the north. Lots of collapsing convection arcs

Looks like its mid-level.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

p1nheadlarry
Category 2
Category 2

#44 Postby p1nheadlarry » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:22 am

FLpanhandle91 wrote:I'm heading out the door to get some early preparations done here in the Destin area. The entire Gulf is anomonously warm right now and with highs forecasted to be in the upper 80s to low 90s over the next 10 days, I don't think that'll change by the time 98L works its way into the Gulf. We've had one front push through so far this season and it didn't do much.

I bought a bunch of water last night and somehow I wasn't alone in doing so!
0 likes   
--;->#GoNoles--;->.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby skyline385 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:24 am

zzzh wrote:Image
No model has predicted this.
We could see a TD/TS very soon.

At the very least a PTC for the islands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby skyline385 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:29 am

FLpanhandle91 wrote:I'm heading out the door to get some early preparations done here in the Destin area. The entire Gulf is anomonously warm right now and with highs forecasted to be in the upper 80s to low 90s over the next 10 days, I don't think that'll change by the time 98L works its way into the Gulf. We've had one front push through so far this season and it didn't do much.

FWIW, the SST anomalies are limited to the northern portion not the entire Gulf Image

0 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby underthwx » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:47 am

skyline385 wrote:Wow 40/70 from nothing in just 24 hours.

98L looked impressive 24 hours ago, no surprise they bumped it up to its current percentages...I'm thinking it will be a depression this time tomorrow, or before? (Based on how it looks on satellite)...And as Aspen mentioned, 98Ls proximity to SA, could temporarily limit any strengthening. Would that also affect any potential track, or where it goes, and in what form it takes? And also, I'm interested in knowing what are the steering mechanisms in place for 98L? ... I read that a cold front will be sagging southward into the Florida panhandle area by Friday? What effects, if any,, will this have on 98L? Thanks fir for any help in understanding this, thankyou!
Last edited by underthwx on Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 likes   

TallyTracker
Category 2
Category 2

#48 Postby TallyTracker » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:54 am

Way too early to speculate exact tracks, but this is the location I have been concerned about all year. With the east coast trough in place, a track through the Caribbean and into the Gulf is climatologically favored.

I am going to evaluate my supplies and get them supplemented in the next couple of days to be safe before any kind of rush that may occur. Worst case I use it during the winter.
Last edited by TallyTracker on Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 likes   
Fran '96, Georges '98, Gordon '00, Gabrielle '01, Charley '04, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Barry '07, Fay '08, Debby '12, Matthew '16, Emily '17, Irma '17, Michael ‘18, Elsa ‘21, Fred ‘21, Mindy ‘21, Nicole ‘22, Idalia ‘23

sweetpea
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#49 Postby sweetpea » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:58 am

TallyTracker wrote:Way too early to speculate exact tracks, but this is the location I have been concerned about all year. With the east coast trough in place, a track through the Caribbean and into the Gulf is climatologically favored.

I am going to evaluate my supplies and get them supplemented in the next couple of days to be safe before any kind of rush that may occur. Worst case I use it during the day winter.

We are doing the same, get situated before the madness in case this does verify. Also figure out where we would go, definitely wouldn't be staying here in Sopchoppy. Keeping fingers and toes crossed this doesn't happen. Stay safe TallyTracker!
4 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby underthwx » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:17 pm

TallyTracker wrote:Way too early to speculate exact tracks, but this is the location I have been concerned about all year. With the east coast trough in place, a track through the Caribbean and into the Gulf is climatologically favored.

I am going to evaluate my supplies and get them supplemented in the next couple of days to be safe before any kind of rush that may occur. Worst case I use it during the winter.

Well said....that's about all anyone can do, just be ready like always, East Coast, Gulf coast, every season...
1 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby underthwx » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:45 pm

Looking at 98L on satellite, I can't help but wonder if it will break up over the Northern region of South America? It just seems so low in latitude to my untrained eye...
1 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby otowntiger » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:48 pm

underthwx wrote:

98L looked impressive 24 hours ago, no surprise they bumped it up to its current percentages...I'm thinking it will be a depression this time tomorrow, or before? And as Aspen mentioned, 98Ls proximity to SA, could temporarily limit any strengthening. Would that also affect any potential track, or where it goes, and in what form it takes? And also, I'm interested in knowing what are the steering mechanisms in place for 98L? ... I read that a cold front will be sagging southward into the Florida panhandle area by Friday? What effects, if any,, will this have on 98L? Thanks fir for any help in understanding this, thankyou!

I'm also wondering what effect the more rapid intensification than modeled will affect its future track? If it becomes a T.D. within 24 hours (as speculated by some non-professionals here- I'm not predicting or accepting that notion necessarily) does that make it head north sooner thereby potentially missing the U.S. Coast?
2 likes   

zzzh
Category 2
Category 2

#53 Postby zzzh » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:49 pm

Central Tropical Atlantic:
A tropical wave located a few hundred miles east of the Windward
Islands continues to show signs of organization. Additional
development is expected, and a tropical depression is likely to form
within the next few days as the system moves westward to
west-northwestward at 15 to 20 mph across the eastern and central
Caribbean Sea. Interests in the Windward Islands should closely
monitor the progress of this system as heavy rainfall and gusty
winds could affect these islands beginning on Wednesday.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...60 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...80 percent.
0 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby underthwx » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:58 pm

otowntiger wrote:
underthwx wrote:

98L looked impressive 24 hours ago, no surprise they bumped it up to its current percentages...I'm thinking it will be a depression this time tomorrow, or before? And as Aspen mentioned, 98Ls proximity to SA, could temporarily limit any strengthening. Would that also affect any potential track, or where it goes, and in what form it takes? And also, I'm interested in knowing what are the steering mechanisms in place for 98L? ... I read that a cold front will be sagging southward into the Florida panhandle area by Friday? What effects, if any,, will this have on 98L? Thanks fir for any help in understanding this, thankyou!

I'm also wondering what effect the more rapid intensification than modeled will affect its future track? If it becomes a T.D. within 24 hours (as speculated by some non-professionals here- I'm not predicting or accepting that notion necessarily) does that make it head north sooner thereby potentially missing the U.S. Coast?

Great point....I don't have a clue where or what 98L will do, other than it appears to be on its way to becoming a depression.. I'm just trying to understand, what seems to me, to be a complex set of factors with 98L, to me the biggesr question personally, is the proximity to land that 98L has to encounter, and Fiona to the north....
Last edited by underthwx on Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#55 Postby ConvergenceZone » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:58 pm

zzzh wrote:
Central Tropical Atlantic:
A tropical wave located a few hundred miles east of the Windward
Islands continues to show signs of organization. Additional
development is expected, and a tropical depression is likely to form
within the next few days as the system moves westward to
west-northwestward at 15 to 20 mph across the eastern and central
Caribbean Sea. Interests in the Windward Islands should closely
monitor the progress of this system as heavy rainfall and gusty
winds could affect these islands beginning on Wednesday.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...60 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...80 percent.

Wow! 60/80? Yikes!
0 likes   

Buck
Category 5
Category 5

#56 Postby Buck » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:59 pm

This season is trying to play catch-up now.
7 likes   

UTSARoadrunner4
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#57 Postby UTSARoadrunner4 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:10 pm

Knew this season was going to be a backloaded one. Besides, all it takes is 1 major storm to make a season memorable. This might be that “1”.
2 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#58 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:13 pm

Florida has been under the gun this year. Yet nothing has really happened yet. Unfortunately, 98L looks like it is the bullet that was just loaded into said gun.
2 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby boca » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:17 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:Florida has been under the gun this year. Yet nothing has really happened yet. Unfortunately, 98L looks like it is the bullet that was just loaded into said gun.

Florida is 700 wide from the panhandle to the keys so it depends if its the peninsula or the panhandle it’s a lot of real estate.
2 likes   

Michele B
Category 4
Category 4

#60 Postby Michele B » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:17 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:Florida has been under the gun this year. Yet nothing has really happened yet. Unfortunately, 98L looks like it is the bullet that was just loaded into said gun.

I really wish ya'all would quit talking like that!

I don't like the looks of this thing at ALL!

I think all of us living on the Gulf Coast thought (obviously erroneously) that we were going to dodge a bullet this year! It had been so quiet for so long... :P
0 likes   
Cleo - 1964, Betsy - 1965, David - 1979, Andrew - 1992, Charlie (Francis, Ivan, Jeanne) - 2004, Irma - 2017, Ian - 2022

Return to “2022”