Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: IAN - Models

#3401 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:03 pm

12Z models

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3402 Postby Blown Away » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:14 pm

Geez, GFS says 2 days to cross over FL Peninsula.
1 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

jdray
Category 3
Category 3

#3403 Postby jdray » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:42 pm

Blown Away wrote:

Geez, GFS says 2 days to cross over FL Peninsula.

Considering I'm NW of the path of Ian, I'll take the model with the fewest days to my south and southwest please. That path and timing of movement would produce a lot of rain
1 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#3404 Postby underthwx » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:46 pm

Do the models show anything to get Ian moving along faster, and making a quicker passage through Florida, and other areas in the forecast path?(my niece lives in Jacksonville, I'm concerned about her safety as well as everyone)
1 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#3405 Postby Kazmit » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:51 pm

The fact that models have this restrengthening before the second landfall in South Carolina...
5 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3406 Postby toad strangler » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:30 pm

8 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#3407 Postby ConvergenceZone » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:11 pm

Kazmit wrote:The fact that models have this restrengthening before the second landfall in South Carolina...

Thank goodness that forecast just has it as a tropical storm landfalling there. I think the saving grace is the short and quick trip across the water.....
1 likes   

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

#3408 Postby Hurricane Mike » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:15 pm

Video update with images of some of the impacts thus far
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3odV6pEXABY
0 likes   

Hurrilurker
Category 2
Category 2

#3409 Postby Hurrilurker » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:54 pm

So...season cancel?

Wondering how much rain this will bring off the coast up north. Models have it heading up through Appalachia, a lot of hilly country there, could be devastating flash flooding over a huge area, especially if it makes a detour into the Atlantic first and picks up more moisture.
3 likes   

dspguy
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3410 Postby dspguy » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:09 pm

ConvergenceZone wrote:
Kazmit wrote:The fact that models have this restrengthening before the second landfall in South Carolina...

Thank goodness that forecast just has it as a tropical storm landfalling there. I think the saving grace is the short and quick trip across the water.....

What the public is aware of in SC is "a lot of rain and some wind" (actual governor statement). What NHC is saying right now is expect a strong TS or a weak Cat1. I guess we'll see what happens. I'm not a meteorologist by any extent. I suppose I'm surprised it could intensify with a short trip with about half of the storm over land. I figured the eyewall would break apart with one side of the storm experiencing friction from land and the other side over water.
4 likes   

Tyler Penland
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: RE: Re: ATL: IAN - Models

#3411 Postby Tyler Penland » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:35 pm

Hurrilurker wrote:
Wondering how much rain this will bring off the coast up north. Models have it heading up through Appalachia, a lot of hilly country there, could be devastating flash flooding over a huge area, especially if it makes a detour into the Atlantic first and picks up more moisture.

I live in WNC and the flooding threat is definitely concerning. GSP has been pretty bullish on totals. Fortunately its been dry lately so we can stand a bit of rain but this time of year the trees aren't taking in as much so the ground will saturate a little quicker.

One thing working in our favor (in the NC mountains at least) is the CAD currently in place. The NE wind could keep a fresh supply of lower dewpoints to keep rain rates down.

Gonna be an interesting few days. GFS is a worst case scenario with this setup, widespread 8-10" along the escarpment.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
1 likes   
****The above is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST. I am in no way affiliated with the NWS or storm2k, and most likely don't share their opinion. Please refer to NWS/NHC products for official advisories/warnings/forecasts.****

But if you insist, trust me, I'm a physicist.

MrJames
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3412 Postby MrJames » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:52 pm

00z

0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3413 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:53 pm

18Z GFS

ICON
3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3414 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:10 pm

18Z Euro

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#3415 Postby Teban54 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:20 pm

tolakram wrote:18Z Euro

https://i.imgur.com/uPU9Ajz.gif

Seeing this kind of pressure on the normally conservative Euro is really ominous. I have a feeling SC will get a stronger storm than they expected.
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.
0 likes   

birddogsc
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3416 Postby birddogsc » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:29 pm

Teban54 wrote:
tolakram wrote:18Z Euro

https://i.imgur.com/uPU9Ajz.gif

Seeing this kind of pressure on the normally conservative Euro is really ominous. I have a feeling SC will get a stronger storm than they expected.
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

I also love the models that spin the remnants around in western VA and send it back.
1 likes   

GTStorm
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3417 Postby GTStorm » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:36 pm

The east-east-east trend continues…I'm guessing landfall somewhere between Myrtle Beach and Wilmington, maybe even Outer Banks at this rate. Who would've thunk it yesterday...
2 likes   

SouthernBreeze
Category 1
Category 1

#3418 Postby SouthernBreeze » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:42 pm

GTStorm wrote:

The east-east-east trend continues…I'm guessing landfall somewhere between Myrtle Beach and Wilmington, maybe even Outer Banks at this rate. Who would've thunk it yesterday...

Wondering what model leads you to think this? I know ICON at least is heading that way
0 likes   
My posts are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. It's just my opinion and not backed by sound meteorological data, and NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

grazed by many - most wind damage: Hugo (pre-cellphone days!) & most water: Floyd

GTStorm
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3419 Postby GTStorm » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:00 pm

SouthernBreeze wrote:
GTStorm wrote:

Wondering what model leads you to think this? I know ICON at least is heading that way

NHC east coast landfall has been been shifting gradually eastward for the last few updates. Was a little concerned for SAV but becoming less and less so. 00z "early track" summary guidance seems to indicate continued shift east. Maybe Outer Banks is a stretch…but the NC / SC border definitely seems to be in play.

Don't pay any attention to me, I'm just an amateur...
5 likes   

SouthernBreeze
Category 1
Category 1

#3420 Postby SouthernBreeze » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:05 pm

I'm really looking forward to first few model runs after Ian clears FL. When & where it clears & how much is left of it should help models narrow this down for us
3 likes   
My posts are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. It's just my opinion and not backed by sound meteorological data, and NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

grazed by many - most wind damage: Hugo (pre-cellphone days!) & most water: Floyd

Return to “2022”