ATL: IAN - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Pelicane
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: ATL: INVEST 98L - Models

#981 Postby Pelicane » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:43 pm

skyline385 wrote:
Pelicane wrote:Essentially what the GFS wants to do is refocus the center to the more vigorous MLC. This is the 500 mb plot, and if you compare it the 850 mb one you'll see the two are offset.
https://imgur.com/KSqPSa8

So here is the Z500 before the center relocates, I dont think this classifies as a vigorous MLC personally. There isnt even a vortmax visible, it forms in the next screen when the LLC relocates which doesnt seem right

https://i.imgur.com/M5LtXaz.png

It's most likely overdoing it, but with a broad circulation you can have center jumps. If you have northerly shear pushing convection south away from the LLC, the MLC might try to take charge.
2 likes   

Miami Storm Tracker
Category 3
Category 3

#982 Postby Miami Storm Tracker » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:50 pm

Evening everyone
I have been on following this week but not logged in. That said I am still waiting and watching, but must say the most recent runs of the EURO and now to some extent the GFS have me a bit concerned here in Key Largo. Any storm coming up from the south is tuff to predict where and when the turn comes, guess I start prepping some this weekend, everyone stay safe.
7 likes   

StAuggy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#983 Postby StAuggy » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:51 pm

Just curious if Fiona phasing into a mega storm will have any effect on the weather pattern back over the states in regards to this trough for 98L that the models might be missing?
0 likes   

stormhunter7
Category 2
Category 2

#984 Postby stormhunter7 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:52 pm

looks like 18z GFS is now shifted with a turn in the GOM to the NE, SW of Tampa?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

caneseddy
Category 5
Category 5

#985 Postby caneseddy » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:57 pm

stormhunter7 wrote:looks like 18z GFS is now shifted with a turn in the GOM to the NE, SW of Tampa?

Landfalls in Big Bend. Looks like the shear really does a number..goes from 949 to 973 at landfall

Still another shift east for the GFS..slowly coming in line with the eastern set of models

I think we’re starting to narrow down potential landfall to the Peninsula as wxman57 has said for the past several days

Of course this is assumption until the center forms
0 likes   

stormhunter7
Category 2
Category 2

#986 Postby stormhunter7 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:00 pm

caneseddy wrote:
stormhunter7 wrote:looks like 18z GFS is now shifted with a turn in the GOM to the NE, SW of Tampa?

Landfalls in Big Bend. Looks like the shear really does a number..goes from 949 to 973 at landfall

Still another shift east for the GFS..slowly coming in line with the eastern set of models

I think we’re starting to narrow down potential landfall to the Peninsula as wxman57 has said for the past several days

Of course this is assumption until the center forms

Thats a pretty significant cold air mass. Upper 40s in north Ga., Alabama on Wednesday.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

Jevo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#987 Postby Jevo » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:06 pm

0 likes   
Disclaimer: 50% of the time I have no clue of what I am talking about. Chances are I am taking a less than educated guess that sounds good because 10 years ago I stole Mike Watkins book 'The Hurricane and its Impact'. For official information please direct yourself to the NHC and their cadre of weather geniuses.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#988 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:08 pm

I did not know that the UKMET even had ensembles.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#989 Postby ronjon » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:15 pm

One of the differences between GFS and Euro is the strength of the east coast trough. The Euro shows the 585 dm equipotential down into the north-central GOM, while the GFS is into the FL panhandle at 96 hours. The Euro also has a slight positive tilt while the GFS is more neutral tilt. These subtle differences in the orientation and strength of trough obviously play a big role in the day 4 and 5 track. Also the GFS starts to lift out the trough at 96 hrs while the Euro takes another 24 hrs to start to lift out.
1 likes   

stormhunter7
Category 2
Category 2

#990 Postby stormhunter7 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:22 pm

So GFS 18z goes in around Apalachicola? But is really falling apart as it moves inland. Sub 930mb in southern GOM to 970-980 at northern GOM?
0 likes   

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#991 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:22 pm

ronjon wrote:One of the differences between GFS and Euro is the strength of the east coast trough. The Euro shows the 585 dm equipotential down into the north-central GOM, while the GFS is into the FL panhandle at 96 hours. The Euro also has a slight positive tilt while the GFS is more neutral tilt. These subtle differences in the orientation and strength of trough obviously play a big role in the day 4 and 5 track. Also the GFS starts to lift out the trough at 96 hrs while the Euro takes another 24 hrs to start to lift out.

the GFS bias does tend to progress setups like this too quickly in situations like this.
0 likes   

SouthFLTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#992 Postby SouthFLTropics » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:32 pm

18z HWRF coming in slightly further north and slightly stronger.
1 likes   
Fourth Generation Floridian...With lots of storm knowledge passed down from my elders...

Personal Storm History: David 79, Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05, Matthew 16, Irma 17

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#993 Postby eastcoastFL » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:35 pm

Does anyone have access to the euro that shows predicted/potential rainfall amounts for the storm? I’m curious about what kind of potential flooding rain Florida could see. Thanks
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SouthFLTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#994 Postby SouthFLTropics » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:41 pm

eastcoastFL wrote:Dows anyone have access to the euro that shows predicted/potential rainfall amounts for the storm? I’m curious about what kind of potential flooding rain Florida could see. Thanks

Not sure where that specific information can be found, however I will offer this. I would think that the rainfall impact, while heavy, would not be as significant since the storm should be moving off to the Northeast at a pretty good pace.
1 likes   
Fourth Generation Floridian...With lots of storm knowledge passed down from my elders...

Personal Storm History: David 79, Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05, Matthew 16, Irma 17

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#995 Postby eastcoastFL » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:45 pm

HWRF predicting that the system starts getting its act together in about 60 hours. Before that it’s bouncing around between 1000mb and 1005mb for about a day.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheHurricaneGod
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#996 Postby TheHurricaneGod » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:45 pm

The 18z GEFS shifted east by a good 150 miles or so. Has a cluster over south FL at 132 hours.
1 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#997 Postby skyline385 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:48 pm

eastcoastFL wrote:Does anyone have access to the euro that shows predicted/potential rainfall amounts for the storm? I’m curious about what kind of potential flooding rain Florida could see. Thanks

Here you go, going to be moving fast with a cold front pulling it out so not something insane like Fiona.

5 likes   

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#998 Postby eastcoastFL » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:49 pm

SouthFLTropics wrote:
eastcoastFL wrote:Dows anyone have access to the euro that shows predicted/potential rainfall amounts for the storm? I’m curious about what kind of potential flooding rain Florida could see. Thanks

Not sure where that specific information can be found, however I will offer this. I would think that the rainfall impact, while heavy, would not be as significant since the storm should be moving off to the Northeast at a pretty good pace.

You can kinda see it on the low res version on TT but it’s hard to make out. Looks like it might be about 7-10in of total rainfall for Floridas east coast from tue to thu. Not as bad as prior storms but still quite a bit over 48 hours.

0 likes   

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#999 Postby eastcoastFL » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:50 pm

skyline385 wrote:
eastcoastFL wrote:Does anyone have access to the euro that shows predicted/potential rainfall amounts for the storm? I’m curious about what kind of potential flooding rain Florida could see. Thanks

Here you go, going to be moving fast with a cold front pulling it out so not something insane like Fiona.

https://i.imgur.com/q0ARyOr.png

That’s the one, thank you! So far it looks like possible 6-10in for coastal areas. Not fun but we’ve seen worse.
3 likes   

SouthFLTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#1000 Postby SouthFLTropics » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:52 pm

HWRF going beast mode, up to 130 knots and NE of the 12z position.
1 likes   

Return to “2022”