Texas Winter 2021-2022

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Winter 2021-2022

#201 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:05 pm

There is a Winter Storm Watch for *double checking to make sure I'm reading this right* Hawaii right now, the weather is seriously messed up!

Now it's a Blizzard Warning for Hawaii!
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#202 Postby HockeyTx82 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:09 pm

Iceresistance wrote:There is a Winter Storm Watch for *double checking to make sure I'm reading this right* Hawaii right now, the weather is seriously messed up!

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... &map_y=201

Yikes, basically a Hurricane. It's at 13,000 ft but wow.
0 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#203 Postby Astromanía » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:50 am

This is pathetic, deciduous trees don't even need to lose their leaves for the sum.. I mean winter lol
0 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#204 Postby gpsnowman » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:34 am

The cold front for Monday is coming in a little cooler. Might have a couple days in the 50's. I need some cold air to get into the Christmas mood!!! It's difficult to think about Christmas when it is 80 degrees. Yuck.
2 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#205 Postby wxman57 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:46 am

HockeyTx82 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:There is a Winter Storm Watch for *double checking to make sure I'm reading this right* Hawaii right now, the weather is seriously messed up!

Of course, that's for the summits on the Big Island, where people do go skiing. My coworker just started his 1 week vacation there yesterday. He's on Oahu, though. Temps above 80 near sea level but quite cold atop Mauna Kea.

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Mauna-Kea
0 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#206 Postby rwfromkansas » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:01 am

HockeyTx82 wrote:

Days of 120mph gusts?!
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#207 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:33 am

rwfromkansas wrote:
HockeyTx82 wrote:

Days of 120mph gusts?!

100 mph on the warning right now.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#208 Postby Ntxw » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:34 am

gpsnowman wrote:The cold front for Monday is coming in a little cooler. Might have a couple days in the 50's. I need some cold air to get into the Christmas mood!!! It's difficult to think about Christmas when it is 80 degrees. Yuck.

The hope is with a very cold source region any intrusions might have a good punch to it!
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#209 Postby wxman57 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:04 am

Ntxw wrote:
gpsnowman wrote:The cold front for Monday is coming in a little cooler. Might have a couple days in the 50's. I need some cold air to get into the Christmas mood!!! It's difficult to think about Christmas when it is 80 degrees. Yuck.

The hope is with a very cold source region any intrusions might have a good punch to it!

Looks like one day (Tuesday) with lows in the mid 40s there in DFW next week. Both the GFS & Euro are predicting lows near freezing up there next Sunday. GFS keeps trying to forecast snow in the TX Panhandle and OK. Euro says "not so fast, the snow will be confined to Kansas". GFS will lose again. Meanwhile, we'll enjoy the pleasant but a little chilly highs near 80 here in Houston through the weekend.
2 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#210 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:47 am

wxman57 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

Looks like one day (Tuesday) with lows in the mid 40s there in DFW next week. Both the GFS & Euro are predicting lows near freezing up there next Sunday. GFS keeps trying to forecast snow in the TX Panhandle and OK. Euro says "not so fast, the snow will be confined to Kansas". GFS will lose again. Meanwhile, we'll enjoy the pleasant but a little chilly highs near 80 here in Houston through the weekend.

I'm expecting Highs near 80 as well, it's hot for this time of year
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#211 Postby Cerlin » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:39 am

Let me preface this by saying the GFS has had a huge tendency to be wrong over the last month or so. I concede that.

However, the GFS does have 2 runs in a row with a pretty decent snowstorm less than 10 days out, with the 6z run inching ever so close towards DFW. Not to mention the CMC and the Euro have snow in Kansas/Northern OK at that same weekend. Runs are certainly not as bleak as they were a few days ago.
1 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#212 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:42 am

Cerlin wrote:Let me preface this by saying the GFS has had a huge tendency to be wrong over the last month or so. I concede that.

However, the GFS does have 2 runs in a row with a pretty decent snowstorm less than 10 days out, with the 6z run inching ever so close towards DFW. Not to mention the CMC and the Euro have snow in Kansas/Northern OK at that same weekend. Runs are certainly not as bleak as they were a few days ago.

I was about to take note of that! Lol

Either way, I've placed Saturday to Monday (12.11.2021-12.13.2021) as a possible time for snow for Oklahoma due to increasing model consistency of snow in that time period.
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that some 12z GEFS members want snow for Oklahoma 3-5 days out.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#213 Postby Ntxw » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:53 am

Cerlin wrote:Let me preface this by saying the GFS has had a huge tendency to be wrong over the last month or so. I concede that.

I can buy some stock into. IF a couple things remain in place.

1. Trough needs to remain intact. The guidance has been trending stronger with it the past few runs.
2. It is able to tap into surface cold from the North with a good surface high.

It's definitely a little intriguing. Aleutian wave-break ridge certainly does merit some deepening of systems. But that's what we're relying on, the storm to provide.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#214 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:06 pm

Ntxw wrote:

1. Trough needs to remain intact. The guidance has been trending stronger with it the past few runs.

It's definitely a little intriguing. Aleutian wave-break ridge certainly does merit some deepening of systems. But that's what we're relying on, the storm to provide.

This is the Make-or-break for snow for Mid-December for the Southern Plains.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#215 Postby Ntxw » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:12 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

There are two years I've been looking at. 1984 December where the Aleutian ridge/+AO started the same but the western trough pinched and we torched the rest of the month. However in January a big Aleutian trof set off a massive SSW to bring the Jan-Feb 1985 cold outbreak.

Last night I made a post about December 1990, if we take that path then by mid month the cold decides to spill due to its power and -PNA trough from the west.
4 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#216 Postby Cerlin » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:35 pm

Ntxw wrote:

Totally agree. Your first bullet point has been the big issue the GFS has been struggling with. More than 7 days out, it’s been overestimating the power of those troughs. The majority of the troughs up to this point have fizzled out before they could reach TX or been weak shortwaves at best. This could be the first one that really sustains itself well with moisture potential.
1 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#217 Postby Texas Snowman » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:41 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

There are two years I've been looking at. 1984 December where the Aleutian ridge/+AO started the same but the western trough pinched and we torched the rest of the month. However in January a big Aleutian trof set off a massive SSW to bring the Jan-Feb 1985 cold outbreak.

Last night I made a post about December 1990, if we take that path then by mid month the cold decides to spill due to its power and -PNA trough from the west.

@BigJoeBastardi — Now here is something that is interesting. Vortex split at 50mb Dec 7 very close to Dec 27 1984,1985. Severe eastern outbreaks mid and late Jan both years ( 1st one was Reagan inaug outbreak, second Challenger disaster Current one would be early Jan correlation.”
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#218 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:54 pm

Anyone who has Pivotal Weather Plus can see the 6z & 18z Euro model.

12z Euro is showing snow across Kansas & Missouri, & as far south as Northern Oklahoma.
Last edited by Iceresistance on Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

harp
Category 2
Category 2

#219 Postby harp » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:59 pm

Iceresistance wrote:Anyone who has Pivotal Weather Plus can see the 6z & 18z Euro model.

What does it reveal?
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#220 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:08 pm

harp wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:Anyone who has Pivotal Weather Plus can see the 6z & 18z Euro model.

What does it reveal?

I don't have Pivotal Weather Plus, but I've heard that it contains +3 Hour data to +144 Hours.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Return to “Winter Weather”