Volcanic Eruption near Tonga

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
kevin
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Volcanic Eruption near Tonga

#21 Postby kevin » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:55 am

Shell Mound wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
cycloneye wrote:Even in Puerto Rico and other Caribbean Islands and in Texas GOM coast there is data from NOAA of minitsunami.

https://i.imgur.com/vFWrQVX.jpg

That's insane.

How does this compare to, say, Pinatubo? So far this eruption appears to have been weaker than that of 1991, to not mention that of Krakatoa (1884).

I'm no volcano expert by any means, but I did have a brief volcano obsession when I was younger so I can elaborate a little bit. Volcano intensity is measured by means of VEI (volcanic explosivity index), which is a logarithmic scale based on the ejecta volume (even though other factors such as plume height, injection into the upper atmosphere and qualitative observations are also taken into account). Official analyses are still ongoing so (similar to f.e. after a tornado outbreak) it'll still take a while before we know what exactly the strength of the eruption was. Most volcano (semi-)expert posts that I've read so far are in agreement that the major eruption was VEI 4 - 6. People saying VEI 6 are in the minority though, most people seem to agree on VEI 5 (and some suggest VEI 4 since they propose that the underwater effect may have made the explosion look bigger than it really was). VEI 5 would be roughly one order of magnitude weaker than Pinatubo or Krakatoa, the latter two both being VEI 6 eruptions. If Hunga Tonga's eruption was VEI 5, it would be only the second VEI 5 eruption of the 21st century (the only other one was in 2011) and, depending on more detailed analysis, thus possibly the strongest eruption of the 21st century so far. But I'm getting ahead of myself, there's still a lot of uncertainty. And while we don't know for sure (I mean, the eruption isn't even finished yet for all we know), most people agree that the eruption was indeed weaker than the likes of Pinatubo or Krakatoa. Whatever it may be, it was still catastrophic so I'm absolutely not trying to diminish the impact of this eruption. I still haven't seen a lot of footage and/or messages from Tonga, I hope the people there managed to get to safety from the tsunami in time.
5 likes   

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby galaxy401 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:40 pm

Ash is dispersing across the South Pacific with Australia getting very intense sunrise.

The true scope of damage in Tonga is still limited but some of the smaller islands seem to have been hit hard. A couple distress signals were picked up from two small islands with population totaling around 100. 4 deaths so far: 2 in Tonga and 2 from Peru. One of the deaths in Tonga was a British woman.
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby Blown Away » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:53 am

Kingarabian wrote:
cycloneye wrote:Even in Puerto Rico and other Caribbean Islands and in Texas GOM coast there is data from NOAA of minitsunami.

https://i.imgur.com/vFWrQVX.jpg

That's insane.

Did you see a Tsunami in Hawaii??
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Fancy1001
Category 1
Category 1

#24 Postby Fancy1001 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:56 pm

What I wouldn’t have given to see video of the eruption from the ground.
1 likes   

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby mrbagyo » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:39 am

Here's some articles from VOLCANO CAFE (volcanology enthusiast site)

"The VEI-5 millennium eruption of Hunga Tonga"

"The Hunga Tonga explosion"

PS: Ioto (Iwo Jima) can do a similar or even larger eruption in the future.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC, NHC and NWS products.

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby mrbagyo » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:13 am

1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC, NHC and NWS products.

ChrisH-UK
Category 1
Category 1

#27 Postby ChrisH-UK » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:56 pm

NOAA GOEs 16 and 17 imaged the pressure wave going around Earth.

https://twitter.com/NOAASatellites/status/1484565819510038533

0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:43 pm

I wonder if this eruption may be to blame for the slow SW Indian cyclone season and S Pacific/Australian seasons so far?
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby mrbagyo » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:49 pm

1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”