ATL: IAN - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

Re: ATL: INVEST 98L - Discussion

#361 Postby Hurricane Mike » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:24 pm

I think the further east this goes, the stronger. If it mills in the Gulf too long interacting with the trough, it'll weaken more prior to landfall. It's also possible further east movement with the trough could allow it to strengthen similar to Charley or Wilma on their approach to Florida.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#362 Postby cycloneye » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:31 pm

8 PM TWO:

Southeastern Caribbean Sea:
Showers and thunderstorms remain disorganized in association with a
low pressure system located over the southeastern Caribbean Sea
about 150 miles east-northeast of Curacao. The upper-level wind
environment over the low is expected to become more conducive for
development, and a tropical depression is expected to form during
the next day or two while moving west-northwestward at 10 to 15 mph
across the central Caribbean Sea. Locally heavy rainfall and gusty
winds are likely to affect northwestern Venezuela, the ABC island
chain, and northeastern Colombia through Friday. Interests in
Jamaica and the Cayman Islands should closely monitor the progress
of this system.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...high...90 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...90 percent.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#363 Postby SFLcane » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:32 pm

Up to 90-90
0 likes   

Coolcruiseman
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#364 Postby Coolcruiseman » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:32 pm

Long time follower from afar. Lots of terrific insights gleaned. Having relocated this summer to the Florida Space Coast from Wisconsin I'm curious with the latest model runs showing potential landfalls being anywhere from north of Tampa to the Keys & Miami, what are the potential impacts here in Melbourne?
5 likes   

cane5
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#365 Postby cane5 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:33 pm

IsabelaWeather wrote:I think the people saying it will miss the CONUS are wishcasting, I dont see how the trough will pick it up and turn it that sharply at this point. That would be a very sharp turn sending it almost due east from western Cuba.

Just curious Wilma turned on a dime and quickly what caused that ?
0 likes   

SouthFLTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#366 Postby SouthFLTropics » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:35 pm

cane5 wrote:
IsabelaWeather wrote:I think the people saying it will miss the CONUS are wishcasting, I dont see how the trough will pick it up and turn it that sharply at this point. That would be a very sharp turn sending it almost due east from western Cuba.

Strong cold front came down and swept it quickly to the Northeast. I remember still experiencing tropical storm force winds and rain and the temperature had dropped into the 50's.
6 likes   
Fourth Generation Floridian...With lots of storm knowledge passed down from my elders...

Personal Storm History: David 79, Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05, Matthew 16, Irma 17

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: RE: Re: ATL: INVEST 98L - Discussion

#367 Postby jlauderdal » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:37 pm

SouthFLTropics wrote:
cane5 wrote:

Strong cold front came down and swept it quickly to the Northeast. I remember still experiencing tropical storm force winds and rain and the temperature had dropped into the 50's.
We didnt need AC after wilma passed, very cool air behind the front.
1 likes   

cane5
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#368 Postby cane5 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:37 pm

IsabelaWeather wrote:
AxaltaRacing24 wrote:

To be fair, I don't think anybody in Florida wants to deal with what this storm unfortunately might become, but I do agree that banking on it missing the CONUS entirely is probably not the greatest idea.

I get that, but you need to be realistic. This is a weather forum, we want to focus on realistic impacts, it woul dbe different if that were a legit option. But I have seen no model tracks south of florida.

I dont believe wishcasting brings anything other than issues. Its also part of life living in florida, if that is a problem there are many places to live where you don't get hurricanes.

I completely agree wishcasting is for amateurs and not advised on a public forum that could save lives.
6 likes   

TheHurricaneGod
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#369 Postby TheHurricaneGod » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:41 pm

Went to walmart earlier today. Nobody panicking yet. I'm sure that'll change in the next couple days
1 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#370 Postby psyclone » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:41 pm

Coolcruiseman wrote:Long time follower from afar. Lots of terrific insights gleaned. Having relocated this summer to the Florida Space Coast from Wisconsin I'm curious with the latest model runs showing potential landfalls being anywhere from north of Tampa to the Keys & Miami, what are the potential impacts here in Melbourne?

Welcome. As for your question...impacts are unknowable but could be substantial. even a storm skirting up the west coast could deliver lots of heavy weather on the east coast as these systems are often convectively active well to the east...as Fiona just illustrated in the northeast Caribbean.
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#371 Postby toad strangler » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:44 pm

TheHurricaneGod wrote:Went to walmart earlier today. Nobody panicking yet. I'm sure that'll change in the next couple days

ME TOO. Just got back. Filled all the holes. The glory of being 90% ready all the time! Now this can skip on out to the east.
4 likes   

jaybizniss
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#372 Postby jaybizniss » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:59 pm

toad strangler wrote:
TheHurricaneGod wrote:Went to walmart earlier today. Nobody panicking yet. I'm sure that'll change in the next couple days

ME TOO. Just got back. Filled all the holes. The glory of being 90% ready all the time! Now this can skip on out to the east.

Dont want to hijack the thread, but Tampa here. Just got back from a costco run. No panic yet but by tomorrow it will be here.
4 likes   

IsabelaWeather
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#373 Postby IsabelaWeather » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:59 pm

cane5 wrote:

Wilma didn't miss FL to the south either.
0 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#374 Postby Sciencerocks » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:08 pm

0 likes   

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#375 Postby eastcoastFL » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:13 pm

toad strangler wrote:

Haven’t had any serious storms since I bought a new generator 3 years ago. If I go out and get gas and water we should be safe. Plus Florida goes through the motions first, it’s nothing yet, it’s just a tropical storm, it’s just a cat 1 etc. while it’s in its infancy right now in the Caribbean it’s a good time to shop.
3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#376 Postby eastcoastFL » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:14 pm

IsabelaWeather wrote:
cane5 wrote:

Did Wilma turn on a dime? I know she was moving fast but I thought it was always forecast to hit S. Fl

Now Charlie turned on a dime for sure.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#377 Postby cycloneye » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:16 pm

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

TallyTracker
Category 2
Category 2

#378 Postby TallyTracker » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:19 pm

eastcoastFL wrote:
IsabelaWeather wrote:
cane5 wrote:

Did Wilma turn on a dime? I know she was moving fast but I thought it was always forecast to hit S. Fl

Now Charlie turned on a dime for sure.

Wilma stalled out over Cancun and Cozumel for 36 hours before a very strong front grabbed it a shot the hurricane NE rapidly. This trough won’t be that strong. Wilma was also 3 weeks later in the year. I expect a more gradual turn like Charley or Ivan.
4 likes   
Fran '96, Georges '98, Gordon '00, Gabrielle '01, Charley '04, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Barry '07, Fay '08, Debby '12, Matthew '16, Emily '17, Irma '17, Michael ‘18, Elsa ‘21, Fred ‘21, Mindy ‘21, Nicole ‘22, Idalia ‘23

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#379 Postby cycloneye » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:23 pm

0 likes   

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#380 Postby galaxy401 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:24 pm

Finally starting to improve now. Should really start picking up tomorrow.
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

Return to “2022”