Texas Fall 2022

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Fall 2022

#301 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:39 pm

starsfan65 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:And just like that, the heavy rainfall risk for the Southern Plains is gone. This is getting extremely old, stupid Cockroach Death Ridge! :grr:
How is it gone?

No longer shows up on the CPC's heavy precip risk.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#302 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:57 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:And just like that, the heavy rainfall risk for the Southern Plains is gone. This is getting extremely old, stupid Cockroach Death Ridge! :grr:
How is it gone?

No longer shows up on the CPC's heavy precip risk.

Ugh. I noticed that, too. It has the lighter shade of green/above normal precip (the lower above normal chance) as well, but still above normal at least.

I guess the silver lining, even it goes to "average" chances, it would be higher chances than we have seen the past month, from a climatological perspective.

ENSO/SOI really sucks right now.
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#303 Postby Brent » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:09 pm

A high of 68 Saturday :double: it's been awhile

But yeah some rain would be nice. It tried last night and a few drops made it but yeah... Last real rain was the near flood when September started
0 likes   
#neversummer

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#304 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:10 pm

Brent wrote:A high of 68 Saturday :double: it's been awhile

But yeah some rain would be nice. It tried last night and a few drops made it but yeah...

Expecting 60°F here.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Texoz
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#305 Postby Texoz » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:34 pm

Ntxw wrote:DFW too is going through second stretch of such anomalous dry spell.

https://i.imgur.com/z7u2Bux.png

Tidbit...outside of 2015 and 1999 the following winters were pretty chilly on this list.

Kind of concerning that 50% of the longest dry spells over 100+ years have been since 1999.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#306 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:34 pm

Finally! It's raining outside!
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#307 Postby Brent » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:31 pm

Maybe it's just because it's been so hot lately but it's getting chilly tonight. Fall is definitely in the air. The wind is like a little preview of January
0 likes   
#neversummer

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#308 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:41 pm

Brent wrote:Maybe it's just because it's been so hot lately but it's getting chilly tonight. Fall is definitely in the air. The wind is like a little preview of January

I know! When it was raining and had a chilly north wind, I was wet and chillyish, but it was so worth it! :D
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#309 Postby bubba hotep » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:44 am

Welp... so much for a shift to a more traditional fall pattern. Looks like ensembles are reverting back to warm and dry for as far as they eye can see.
0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#310 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:47 am

bubba hotep wrote:Welp... so much for a shift to a more traditional fall pattern. Looks like ensembles are reverting back to warm and dry for as far as the eye can see.

This Cockroach Death Ridge is refusing to accept its fate. :grr:
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#311 Postby Ntxw » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:10 pm

bubba hotep wrote:Welp... so much for a shift to a more traditional fall pattern. Looks like ensembles are reverting back to warm and dry for as far as they eye can see.

To me the ensembles 500mb pattern doesn't look terrible. Med-long term the Aleutian ridge is replaced by a trof. It's very East-Coast centric with the trof though so at least we'll get seasonably cooler shots on its back edge. But the rain aspects never believed it. OLR out of the equatorial Pacific is bone dry. Even if there is a western trough, there's no moisture to link it.

Elsewhere some early signs of AO/NAO falling.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#312 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:09 pm

Got down to 43°F this morning, the lowest wind chill was 39°F.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#313 Postby Ntxw » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:30 am

DFW got really lucky with the deluge in late August. We'd be cranking top 10 driest years on record like many areas south of I-20.

October averages well over 4" of rain.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#314 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:37 am

Ntxw wrote:DFW got really lucky with the deluge in late August. We'd be cranking top 10 driest years on record like many areas south of I-20.

October averages well over 4" of rain.

Got some showers right now that are clipping me to the south.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#315 Postby Brent » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:54 pm

Hopefully some rain the next couple days.... The other big story seems to be possibly the coldest air of the season by Sunday and Monday next week. WeatherBug already has me around 40 :cold:
1 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#316 Postby Ntxw » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:33 pm

The signal for some west NAO blocking is getting more defined. That will help drive some of the colder air S.
4 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#317 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:20 am

Ntxw wrote:The signal for some west NAO blocking is getting more defined. That will help drive some of the colder air S.

There are a number of things pointing to a -AO/NAO start to the winter. However, it seems like that is one of the trickier patterns to sniff out in the longer range. In the near term, it does look like a dip is coming with a legit below normal shot of cold air for N. TX. It looks to be a transient pattern with a pretty quick snap back to above normal. However, November has all the signs of a more persistent -AO/NAO patter but see the second sentence for my confidence level lol
0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#318 Postby Ntxw » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:26 am

bubba hotep wrote:
Ntxw wrote:The signal for some west NAO blocking is getting more defined. That will help drive some of the colder air S.

There are a number of things pointing to a -AO/NAO start to the winter. However, it seems like that is one of the trickier patterns to sniff out in the longer range. In the near term, it does look like a dip is coming with a legit below normal shot of cold air for N. TX. It looks to be a transient pattern with a pretty quick snap back to above normal. However, November has all the signs of a more persistent -AO/NAO patter but see the second sentence for my confidence level lol

I've come to terms that the Aleutian ridge is going to be a staple. I don't see a repeat of last Fall/Winter though. NPAC SSTs are too different. I do think we'll hear a lot more of the AO/NAO domain this winter like 2020.

Meanwhile agree with a good shot of cold air is probably coming, temperature wise October hasn't been too bad as it was looking beforehand.
3 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#319 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:40 am

Ntxw wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

I've come to terms that the Aleutian ridge is going to be a staple. I don't see a repeat of last Fall/Winter though. NPAC SSTs are too different. I do think we'll hear a lot more of the AO/NAO domain this winter like 2020.

Meanwhile agree with a good shot of cold air is probably coming, temperature wise October hasn't been too bad as it was looking beforehand.

Could we have a February 2021 all over again? Winter 2019-2020 was crazy with snow but the temperatures would not comply. Winter 2020-2021 was similar to Winter 2019-2020 with the snow potential, but the temperatures were crazy cold.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Itryatgolf
Category 1
Category 1

#320 Postby Itryatgolf » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:04 am

Ntxw wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

Ntxw, I heard on twitter from a guy who posts there often that we are having persistent IO/MARITIME CONTINENT convection the reason the pna will remain positive. My question is, in winter, that is a very warm set up. Don't you think we want to see that convection shift before winter because phases4-6 are crazy warm phases for us
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”