Tropical Wave in the East-Central Caribbean (Is Invest 92L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Tropical Wave in the East-Central Caribbean (Is Invest 92L)

#1 Postby SFLcane » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:30 am

Here is the wave the models 00z models are excited about.

2 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Tropical Wave East of the Lesser Antilles

#2 Postby chaser1 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:46 am

SFLcane wrote:Here is the wave the models 00z models are excited about.

https://i.imgur.com/gfQXkVs.gif

Looking mighty juicy with nice low level inflow from the southwest and the ESE.
5 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby SFLcane » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:53 am

This wave is potentially the one to watch. The gfs does not develop for another 4-5 days.

1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby TheStormExpert » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:42 am

The Euro and its EPS Ensembles still show nothing for the next two weeks in terms of Western Caribbean mischief.

https://twitter.com/JkpWeather/status/1311274973919694848

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby aspen » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:42 am

GFS-Para has a nameable TC in 5-6 days. If the first wave/Gamma isn’t able to become anything significant, than odds are it’ll be this wave/future Delta, especially if it develops in the middle of the Caribbean before progressing westward into the WCar’s 30-31C SSTs and high OHC.
2 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#6 Postby SconnieCane » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:00 am

TheStormExpert wrote:The Euro and its EPS Ensembles still show nothing for the next two weeks in terms of Western Caribbean mischief.

https://twitter.com/JkpWeather/status/1311274973919694848

...and it did how well with Hanna, Laura and Sally pre-genesis? :lol:
7 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Blown Away » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:11 am

This model storm is in the long range, let's see if it hangs on as we move into the mid range timing... Michael Part 2...
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Hurricaneman » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:15 am

Blown Away wrote:https://i.imgur.com/WNkwGw3.gif
This model storm is in the long range, let's see if it hangs on as we move into the mid range timing... Michael Part 2...

Who knows, could be anywhere from a Wilma part 2 to being buried in Central America like the first wave we really don’t know yet
1 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby aspen » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:27 am

The 06z GFS appears to show formation happening as early as 120 hrs, with the precursor vorticity coming from a mass in South America. However, things become complicated as it gets tangled up in a CAG (circled in dotted lines) that also produces a system in the EPac.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Shell Mound » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:59 am

The 06Z GFS-P shows a much weaker vortex, owing to a stronger TUTT nearby. The overall hemispheric pattern is more amplified vs. 00Z and shows more AWB. The subtropical jet is also stronger on this run. Overall, this run has reverted to Niño-like conditions, so TCG is much more subdued vs. 00Z. We will need to see whether conditions end up being closer to those modelled at 00Z vs. 06Z. But a bearish outcome would be more in line with seasonal trends. I think some level of development is likely, but at this point I continue to anticipate a weak system.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby SFLcane » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:06 am

Shell Mound wrote:The 06Z GFS-P shows a much weaker vortex, owing to a stronger TUTT nearby. The overall hemispheric pattern is more amplified vs. 00Z and shows more AWB. The subtropical jet is also stronger on this run. Overall, this run has reverted to Niño-like conditions, so TCG is much more subdued vs. 00Z. We will need to see whether conditions end up being closer to those modelled at 00Z vs. 06Z. But a bearish outcome would be more in line with seasonal trends. I think some level of development is likely, but at this point I continue to anticipate a weak system.

No... :roll:

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1311320145525055498

6 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby toad strangler » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:09 am

12z GFS vort signature already much different and E of 6z with this wave through 126 hrs.
0 likes   

CourierPR
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby CourierPR » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:11 am

I am always relieved when someone posts info from a genuine meteorologist to offset the official-sounding misinformation couched in technical language.
10 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby CyclonicFury » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:19 am

SFLcane wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:The 06Z GFS-P shows a much weaker vortex, owing to a stronger TUTT nearby. The overall hemispheric pattern is more amplified vs. 00Z and shows more AWB. The subtropical jet is also stronger on this run. Overall, this run has reverted to Niño-like conditions, so TCG is much more subdued vs. 00Z. We will need to see whether conditions end up being closer to those modelled at 00Z vs. 06Z. But a bearish outcome would be more in line with seasonal trends. I think some level of development is likely, but at this point I continue to anticipate a weak system.

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1311320145525055498?

I don't know why Shell keeps bringing up "Niño like conditions" when shear has been persistently below normal over the Caribbean since July.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby AutoPenalti » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:20 am

CourierPR wrote:I am always relieved when someone posts info from a genuine meteorologist to offset the official-sounding misinformation couched in technical language.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he is very technical when it comes to real-time conditions. He seems to pour out some good insight per model run basis.

Now if he actually believes that the former will actually occur even after model runs adjust is a different story.
4 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Spacecoast
Category 2
Category 2

#16 Postby Spacecoast » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:29 am

SFLcane wrote:

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1311320145525055498?

From CSU's 2 week forecast:

"We believe that the next two weeks will be characterized by above-normalTC activity (>9ACE). While there are currently no active tropical cyclones (TCs) in the Atlantic, theNational Hurricane Center is currently monitoring an area of low pressure that is forecast to develop in the western Caribbean and has a medium chance of becoming a TC in the next few days. While the various global models have varying solutions as to how intense this cyclonewill get, this system could generate small to medium levels of ACE if it were to develop."

So, 9 ACE next 2 weeks compared to a total of 36 ACE observed during the two-week period September 16–29.
0 likes   

caneseddy
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby caneseddy » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:42 am

12z GFS doesn’t do much with it until it gets into the Gulf where after getting close to Louisiana decides to make a hard right and seems to follow the coastline as an intensifying hurricane

Landfall as Cat1/2 in Panama City
Last edited by caneseddy on Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby SFLcane » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:44 am

This wave is looking impressive this afternoon!

5 likes   

CourierPR
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby CourierPR » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:45 am

AutoPenalti wrote:
CourierPR wrote:I am always relieved when someone posts info from a genuine meteorologist to offset the official-sounding misinformation couched in technical language.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he is very technical when it comes to real-time conditions. He seems to pour out some good insight per model run basis.

Now if he actually believes that the former will actually occur even after model runs adjust is a different story.

I will do that as well. My apologies for over-reacting, Shell Mound.
3 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby cheezyWXguy » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:48 am

caneseddy wrote:12z GFS doesn’t do much with it until it gets into the Gulf where after getting close to Louisiana decides to make a hard right and seems to follow the coastline as an intensifying hurricane

Wouldn’t put much stock in that track. The gfs tends to overdo fujiwara style interactions between systems, which is why it pushes this so far west. It’s possible, but I expect significant run-to-run variability in track and intensity as a result over the next 3 days
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”