Almost a Hurricane..

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

Almost a Hurricane..

#1 Postby Aquawind » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:36 am

I remember this nasty Storm. I lived in a place called Brandon,SD just west of Sioux Falls. The snowdrifts were incredible at least 15' everywhere. For a couple days just prior a massive migration of waterfowl could be seen in the sky and heard at night flying south. I am talking major..they knew. Ended up a flock of Giant Canadian Geese got forced down in the valley/pond right in front of my house. The wind howled big time..I found numerous perfectly preserved frozen Pheasants in various positions afterwards. They closed school early because of the impending storm and I was sooo pumped as I watched the weather avidly and knew my dreams were coming true...I would have given my beer can collection for some DSL in a heart beat.

Various descriptions I found.

1975, January 10-11(from the Sioux Falls weather station)
Worst blizzard on record with 70 mph winds, -70 degree wind chills, 7 inches snowfall, and visibilities below a quarter mile for 24 hours.

In 1975 The "Storm of the Century" hit Minnesota. A severe blizzard moved northward across the state producing up to two feet of snow. High winds drove wind chill readings to 80 degrees below zero, and at Duluth MN the barometric pressure dipped to 28.55 inches. The storm, which claimed 35 lives, occurred on the 102nd anniversary of the infamous "Pioneer Blizzard" in Minnesota.

Blizzard of 1975 - January 10-12, 1975. Eastern Nebraska/Western Iowa through Minnesota to Western Wisconsin. 12 to 24 inches of snow. 80mph wind gusts. 20 foot drifts. Below zero temperatures.

January 12, 1975 "Blizzard of the Century".
Although the state and the region has been visited by numerous blizzards, this one is outstanding in that it virtually paralyzed the two largest metropolitan areas of Lincoln and Omaha. This storm, often termed the "blizzard of the century" by meteorologists brought record low atmospheric pressures to the region. Winds were so strong that a 15 foot high snow drift was created and closed 70th street just south of St. Elizabeth Community Health Center. Similar to some of our other major snowstorms, this storm was accompanied by extensive thunder and lightning
0 likes   

Colin
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Colin » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:46 am

Thanks for all the info! ;)
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby breeze » Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:36 pm

Thanks, Aquawind! Being one that has never
experienced a blizzard, I find the descriptions
such as your's of finding frozen foul in the snow
to be astounding! Thanks for sharing that story.

I am in a mild winter area, where schools close
and people invade the supermarkets at the
first signs of snow flurries! :D
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”