Understand Cold Air Damming and the different types of CAD.

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

Understand Cold Air Damming and the different types of CAD.

#1 Postby Stormsfury » Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:21 pm

As we get closer and closer to the winter season, many East of the Appalachian Mountains and also East of the Favored upslope regions may have heard about Cold Air Damming but do not understand how it works and how it is typically underforecasted by the models and missed by many meteorologists.

Below are a couple of tutorials specifically about Cold Air Damming and the different kinds of CAD scenarios that occur.

From NCSU
CAD Composites

From UCAR - An animated and detailed look ... be prepared to watch for a couple of hours for this one, but well worth the time spent. I watched this back in 2002 and refreshed myself tonight preparing for the upcoming winter season to further recognize the signals quicker. I know the effects quite well living in South Carolina, knowing how CAD can greatly bust a temperature/precip forecast.

UCAR presentation about Cold Air Damming-CAD
0 likes   

mathias1979
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#2 Postby mathias1979 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:48 am

Thanks for the links. I'll have to check those out in more detail this week. Sure I learned about it in school, but a refresher is always good.

-Matt
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”