Texas Winter 2022-2023

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Gotwood
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Texas Winter 2022-2023

#4801 Postby Gotwood » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:57 pm

txtwister78 wrote:Freezing rain much further south as a result of the colder trend.

https://images.weatherbell.com/model/nam-218-all/tx/frzr_total/1674928800/1675231200-iZrJPDcaWdk.png

Yeah might end up getting more sleet up north. This is pretty similar to last year’s storm except it probably won’t be as far East. Started as freezing rain switched to sleet and finished with a splash of snow.
1 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4802 Postby gpsnowman » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:59 pm

txtwister78 wrote:Freezing rain much further south as a result of the colder trend.

https://images.weatherbell.com/model/nam-218-all/tx/frzr_total/1674928800/1675231200-iZrJPDcaWdk.png

Hopefully with the colder trends we might see more of a sleet profile or even a sleet/snow mix. That could be just wishful thinking on my part. :D
1 likes   

txtwister78
Category 5
Category 5

#4803 Postby txtwister78 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:06 pm

rwfromkansas wrote:This is a tricky situation. If it’s too light yet cold we may repeat 2021 with patchy ice. I recall going to school that day worrying and yet not a bit of ice in my area. Just south that awful crash.

But, if it’s ice to me the sweet spot is .10-25. Enough to be dangerous and close things but not take down lots of infrastructure.

A little ice is IMO better than patchy stuff after 2021. But, not a major ice storm.

Soil temps are still plenty warm and so outside the usual elevated bridges and overpasses threat (which obviously can be an issue in the bigger cities) with temps hovering around 30-32 the surface roads would be fine. If I'm not mistaken though temps in DFW were a few degrees colder during that 2021 patchy ice event.

NWS out of Fort Worth still not sold however (per their AFD) on this being an issue within the Metroplex for now.
1 likes   

Texas Snow
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4804 Postby Texas Snow » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:08 pm

I thought with the latest Hi-Rez, the NWS would have tuned a little more bullish for DFW but alas, not yet. They did mention there could be a brief chance Tuesday morning for the freezing line to be set up across the metroplex, but didn’t seem too excited about it

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a flip tomorrow after a few more runs if they continue, but so far they are holding ground.
1 likes   
"Don't let wishcastin get in the way of your forecastin"

TropicalTundra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4805 Postby TropicalTundra » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:18 pm

Texas Snow wrote:I thought with the latest Hi-Rez, the NWS would have tuned a little more bullish for DFW but alas, not yet. They did mention there could be a brief chance Tuesday morning for the freezing line to be set up across the metroplex, but didn’t seem too excited about it

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a flip tomorrow after a few more runs if they continue, but so far they are holding ground.

Especially NAM. Dallas getting frz rain Monday and Tuesday and changes over to sleet as storm wraps up. Can’t rule out snowflakes but I think odds are pretty low on that
1 likes   
Summer's for hibernation, Winter’s my vacation

Please don't use my posts as forecast, I'm a complete meteorology noob! I just like cold weather, alright?

SnowintheFalls
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4806 Postby SnowintheFalls » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:27 pm

Maybe I am mistaken but everything I have seen from the models has taken the potential frozen precipitation further south and east of Wichita Falls. The NWS out of Norman is still talking about a pretty good chance we get a frozen mix from Monday to Thursday. What are they basing this information on?
1 likes   
There is no day like a snow day!

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4807 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:35 pm

Monday evening to Tuesday morning is the dicey period for DFW and really much of the region along and west of I-35 from NTX to C-TX. The difference between 30-32 vs 27-30 can be impactful. It'll be a light freezing drizzle but we know the drill, it's these little things causing the issue because people underestimate it.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#4808 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:37 pm

SnowintheFalls wrote:Maybe I am mistaken but everything I have seen from the models has taken the potential frozen precipitation further south and east of Wichita Falls. The NWS out of Norman is still talking about a pretty good chance we get a frozen mix from Monday to Thursday. What are they basing this information on?

Maybe the CMC for consistency (no pun intended) and the mesoscale models?
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4809 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:40 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
SnowintheFalls wrote:Maybe I am mistaken but everything I have seen from the models has taken the potential frozen precipitation further south and east of Wichita Falls. The NWS out of Norman is still talking about a pretty good chance we get a frozen mix from Monday to Thursday. What are they basing this information on?

Maybe the CMC for consistency (no pun intended) and the mesoscale models?

Early week is driven by impulses coming from the southern stream. QPF is higher south and east. Later in the week, Weds/Thurs WF and Oklahoma increases qpf as the ULL feature approaches.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4810 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:46 pm

1054 hp bulldozer. Front is also clearing Kansas.

3 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4811 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:30 pm

There is another signal 8th-10th Feb period as the western trough reloads. Not sure about the cold air quality or delivery HP at that point but it is rinse repeat. NE Pacific pattern is stuck.
2 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4812 Postby gpsnowman » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:44 pm

Ntxw wrote:There is another signal 8th-10th Feb period as the western trough reloads. Not sure about the cold air quality or delivery HP at that point but it is rinse repeat. NE Pacific pattern is stuck.

Cosgrove has mentioned a possible arctic dump in mid to late February as a result of a SSW. Is that still on the table or is it all talk for now?
1 likes   

harp
Category 2
Category 2

#4813 Postby harp » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:52 pm

gpsnowman wrote:
Ntxw wrote:There is another signal 8th-10th Feb period as the western trough reloads. Not sure about the cold air quality or delivery HP at that point but it is rinse repeat. NE Pacific pattern is stuck.

Cosgrove has mentioned a possible arctic dump in mid to late February as a result of a SSW. Is that still on the table or is it all talk for now?

Good question! We are running out of time!
0 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4814 Postby Ralph's Weather » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:56 pm

harp wrote:
gpsnowman wrote:

Good question! We are running out of time!

Still have almost 10 weeks before the record latest snow for N and NE TX.
1 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4815 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:36 pm

gpsnowman wrote:

The ducks haven't aligned for a deep, cold shot like December that really drives home. The pattern is repeating like it is now TPV hovering Hudson Bay and pieces get delivered once the Pacific/Arctic sends an HP. The current one wasn't seen well until closer. I don't think we revert to a warm pattern this month, it will be more consistent cold shots.
2 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4816 Postby orangeblood » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:01 pm

Ntxw wrote:Monday evening to Tuesday morning is the dicey period for DFW and really much of the region along and west of I-35 from NTX to C-TX. The difference between 30-32 vs 27-30 can be impactful. It'll be a light freezing drizzle but we know the drill, it's these little things causing the issue because people underestimate it.

Wednesday morning could be worse according to CMC and it’s Ensembles with higher precip potential
2 likes   

Gotwood
Category 1
Category 1

#4817 Postby Gotwood » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:19 pm

Ntxw wrote:
gpsnowman wrote:

Do you think the warm air ends up beating out the cold? Especially towards Wednesday night into Thursday.
The ducks haven't aligned for a deep, cold shot like December that really drives home. The pattern is repeating like it is now TPV hovering Hudson Bay and pieces get delivered once the Pacific/Arctic sends an HP. The current one wasn't seen well until closer. I don't think we revert to a warm pattern this month, it will be more consistent cold shots.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#4818 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:39 pm

Gotwood wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
gpsnowman wrote:Cosgrove has mentioned a possible arctic dump in mid to late February as a result of a SSW. Is that still on the table or is it all talk for now?

Do you think the warm air ends up beating out the cold? Especially towards Wednesday night into Thursday.

Me? (I'm not Ntxw) I don't think so, the cold is absolutely screaming to the south, it has already reached Northern Oklahoma.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

txtwister78
Category 5
Category 5

#4819 Postby txtwister78 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:52 pm

5 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4820 Postby gpsnowman » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:54 pm

Negatives in Nebraska. You love to see it.
2 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”