Deep South Winterwx Discussion 2015-2016

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5661 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:54 pm

Normally, I never or very seldom post a model run out 384 hours. Too much can change in that span of time, but, what the GFS 384 hour run depicts below could be a sign of things to come. It shows a potential coastal storm with the the potential of wintry precip across the interior /Piedmont region of NC into Virginia.

I just wanted to post finally something that could have that impact in the region, but we will see. Are we finally beginning to see a shift in the pattern heading into December?

0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#5662 Postby Hammy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:28 pm

Something interesting I've noticed in the long-range CFS model is a recurring showing of some degree of snow for Georgia in the last week of December. It's been showing intermittently for about a month now.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5663 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:23 am

GFS 204 hour shows a potential Cold Core Upper Low with moisture pushing through the Deep South, with 540 thickness covering much of North and Central Alabama.

This could suggest the potential of wintry precip (sleet,wet snow) across Northern MS, North and Central Alabama and the TN Valley region next Monday, Dec 7. Just something to watch over the next week or so for those looking for some wintry weather.

0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Deep South Winterwx Discussion

#5664 Postby Hammy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:14 am

Given the climate models and the stubborn pattern I'm starting to wonder if Georgia will even have a winter this year. The GFS in particular is doing with the cold weather what it was doing in 2013 with the hurricane season: it's showing a nice cold front until about the five day mark, once within that timeframe it goes up and over, taking the rain and cooler weather with it.

It's like we're getting a La Nina winter during one of the strongest El Ninos recorded :x
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5665 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:58 am

Check this out. Record high temperatures could be tied or broken this weekend across areas of the Deep South. Boy, this a bummer for those who look forward to colder temps, as we should be getting this time of year. Granted the sun angle is at its lowest this time of year, and the warmth may not be "scorching' as it is during the late spring into summer. But, still readings this warm well into December is a bummer for cool weather lovers like yours truly.

Cities in Alabama that will challenge records this weekend:

SATURDAY, DEC 12

BIRMINGHAM 78 (1971)
MONTGOMERY 82 (1971)
TUSCALOOSA 79 (1971)
ANNISTON 77 (1971)

SUNDAY DEC 13

BIRMINGHAM 79 (1931)
MONTGOMERY 80 (1931)
TUSCALOOSA 76 (1991)
ANNISTON 73 (2007)

There are finally signs that changes are on the horizon. There is a cold front forecast to move through the Deep South region late this week, and will bring in a much cooler air mass to at least bring temperatures back to near normal by Friday into next Saturday (12/19 -12/20). Also, long range GFS is also trending to a cooler,wet and stormier pattern for the Southern tier of the CONUS as we head toward New Year's Day as the ugly side of El Nino may finally come as we head into January.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#5666 Postby Hammy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:30 pm

I'm wondering when (or if at all) we're finally going to start getting the stream of (relatively) lower-latitude low pressure systems moving through the SE off the Gulf or southern Midwest. The weather pattern, even though 14 days, looks far too much like October for my liking.
0 likes   

GTStorm
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#5667 Postby GTStorm » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:12 pm

northjaxpro wrote:Check this out. Record high temperatures could be tied or broken this weekend across areas of the Deep South. Boy, this a bummer for those who look forward to colder temps, as we should be getting this time of year. Granted the sun angle is at its lowest this time of year, and the warmth may not be "scorching' as it is during the late spring into summer. But, still readings this warm well into December is a bummer for cool weather lovers like yours truly.

Cities in Alabama that will challenge records this weekend:

SATURDAY, DEC 12

BIRMINGHAM 78 (1971)
MONTGOMERY 82 (1971)
TUSCALOOSA 79 (1971)
ANNISTON 77 (1971)

SUNDAY DEC 13

BIRMINGHAM 79 (1931)
MONTGOMERY 80 (1931)
TUSCALOOSA 76 (1991)
ANNISTON 73 (2007)

There are finally signs that changes are on the horizon. There is a cold front forecast to move through the Deep South region late this week, and will bring in a much cooler air mass to at least bring temperatures back to near normal by Friday into next Saturday (12/19 -12/20). Also, long range GFS is also trending to a cooler,wet and stormier pattern for the Southern tier of the CONUS as we head toward New Year's Day as the ugly side of El Nino may finally come as we head into January.

Yeah but even this cold blast is getting weaker and weaker in the models as the weekend approaches. Wouldn't be surprised if the actuals turned out to be in the 70's. Again. Seems like that's always the case. Just for once I'd like to see the forecasts be wrong on the "other" side.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5668 Postby gatorcane » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:27 pm

18Z GFS Christmas Even temp forecast. Look how incredibly warm this is across the eastern 2/3 of the country! I would venture to say we would see record high temps across many areas of the country if this were to verify.

0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5669 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:31 pm

A very large, stout ridge is being shown by the models to set up shop across the Eastern CONUS Christmas week. I am about to give up on winter this season if this trend continues. Unbelievable indeed!
0 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#5670 Postby otowntiger » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:47 pm

And I thought an el nino winter meant we would be cooler and wetter than usual in Florida. Wow. This has been the exact opposite. I wish I we could occasionally get a cool day where I don't have to run the A/C. This is getting ridiculous.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#5671 Postby Hammy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:41 pm

This weather is utterly frustrating at this point, just warmup after warmup. Northern Georgia, and I recordded 85.7 in the sun on my front porch. Too hot to even put up the Christmas lights :x

What went so wrong with the forecasts and what's causing the heat ridging in the east? And is it even worth expecting winter at this point?
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5672 Postby Ntxw » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:48 pm

Hammy wrote:This weather is utterly frustrating at this point, just warmup after warmup. Northern Georgia, and I recordded 85.7 in the sun on my front porch. Too hot to even put up the Christmas lights :x

What went so wrong with the forecasts and what's causing the heat ridging in the east? And is it even worth expecting winter at this point?

Here is a composite of the 5 strongest El Nino winters I did in the Texas thread over the summer. Worth posting here for some thought

Ntxw wrote:Here are some visuals to help show my previous post. It is remarkable the persistence climo for the major El Nino's. Weak and even moderate events can deviate but the strong (ONI > +1.5C) are very consistent.

All of them featured a normal to mild December, likely because El Nino's peak around NDJ and Canada is flooded with warmth.

By January the El Nino's slowly weaken and their influence becomes less that allows Canada to get cold, however we still keep the roaring lingering subtropical jet.

By February the Nino continues to weaken with the seasonal jet still strong, evidenced by the anomalies

Luckily the southern tier of the US is favored to be below normal. Canonical Nino events generally behave very similar. There are often low skill in forecasting winters that bears weak ENSO events or neutral. But in strong events (strong La Nina, strong El Nino) skill becomes higher as the ENSO event imposes the classic climo that they favor below. Good confidence the upper tier of the US will experience a very mild winter while the lower tier cooler than normal.

The record warmth vs just mild is likely a combo of the big Nino and a raging +AO
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

hurricanehunter69
Category 1
Category 1

#5673 Postby hurricanehunter69 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:10 pm

The climate prediction center keeps backing off to the west.....? I've lost faith in our winter, and I'd even be worried if I was in Texas....? This is what the three month ( Jan, Feb, Mar ) looks like now. http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#5674 Postby Hammy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:14 pm

I see the models have not only significantly weakened the Christmas Eve storm system but also pushed the trough over a thousand miles west over the last few runs. :(
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5675 Postby MGC » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:01 pm

Had our second frost of the season this morning. Got down to about 35 at the house in Pass Christian. Still no freeze and don't look like one any time soon......MGC
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5676 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:10 pm

It was 36 degrees earlier today at my locale. Still no frost or freeze has occured here to this point this season, although there is a chance we may get frost here tomorrow morning if the wind can get light enough.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#5677 Postby Hammy » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:32 pm

I guess that 500mb high isn't going anywhere anytime soon--yesterday it appeared we might finally start getting troughs coming out of the Gulf but the models have shifted back west yet again.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5678 Postby Ntxw » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:55 pm

Hammy wrote:I guess that 500mb high isn't going anywhere anytime soon--yesterday it appeared we might finally start getting troughs coming out of the Gulf but the models have shifted back west yet again.

It will take a little more time. -SOI crash will soon occur so that SE ridge will break down to a +PNA set up. Perhaps second week of January
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#5679 Postby Hammy » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:45 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Hammy wrote:I guess that 500mb high isn't going anywhere anytime soon--yesterday it appeared we might finally start getting troughs coming out of the Gulf but the models have shifted back west yet again.

It will take a little more time. -SOI crash will soon occur so that SE ridge will break down to a +PNA set up. Perhaps second week of January

Models seem now to break the ridge down only temporarily and build it back after the first week of Jan.
0 likes   

SeGaBob

#5680 Postby SeGaBob » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:27 pm

I'm tired of this unseasonable warmth... it got up to 83 here today. :double:
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”