Texas Winter 2018-2019

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Winter 2018-2019

#721 Postby Cpv17 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:38 pm

4.75” so far here in Wharton today. Everything is flooded.
3 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#722 Postby bubba hotep » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:51 pm

BrokenGlass wrote:Man this place went quiet fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not a lot to say, the northern stream was too aggressive and that won't allow our system to amp up any. At H5 it is shallow and fast but it will stay suppressed not allowing any snow to get into the Mid Atlantic (typically, a system that is good for the Mid Atlantic is also good for N. Texas). The runs from just a couple of days ago were more amped up, slower, different jet configuration, stronger low level jet back into the cold air, etc. Tonight we see a faster flatter system with no strong low level jet kicking moisture back into the cold air, which is allowing dry air to filter in faster (see nothing in OKC).
1 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#723 Postby Brent » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:02 pm

bubba hotep wrote:

Not a lot to say, the northern stream was too aggressive and that won't allow our system to amp up any. At H5 it is shallow and fast but it will stay suppressed not allowing any snow to get into the Mid Atlantic (typically, a system that is good for the Mid Atlantic is also good for N. Texas). The runs from just a couple of days ago were more amped up, slower, different jet configuration, stronger low level jet back into the cold air, etc. Tonight we see a faster flatter system with no strong low level jet kicking moisture back into the cold air, which is allowing dry air to filter in faster (see nothing in OKC).

at least we were never forecast to see anything frozen, I cant imagine being in OKC :double: that'd be way worse than this.

Personally I never was convinced about DFW seeing anything meaningful and I could see even the optimism about a surprise floating away especially yesterday

I just hope the next storm has more cold air
1 likes   
#neversummer

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#724 Postby Haris » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:30 pm

I'd call this a borderline border line win.

Airport nearing 3.6". Shattered the record. I myself getting near 2.7" . Not bad.

The runs that showed 4-6" + did not verify for Austin but very decent for december regardless!
(Still raining as of 1030)

Now some snow please! :D
3 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Quixotic
Category 2
Category 2

#725 Postby Quixotic » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:34 pm

The big take away from this is that this is exactly the right type of track to expect from an enso that is ninoesque. The pacific is the problem. We’ve got no cold air to work with. I fully expect that will change as this year looks more like 02-03 rather than 09-10. The low needs to be established in the aleutians pumping a ridge into AK and western Canada. It’s headed that way we just have to be patient. Once it sets up, we will have beaucoup chances.
2 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#726 Postby Brent » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:39 pm

Quixotic wrote:The big take away from this is that this is exactly the right type of track to expect from an enso that is ninoesque. The pacific is the problem. We’ve got no cold air to work with. I fully expect that will change as this year looks more like 02-03 rather than 09-10. The low needs to be established in the aleutians pumping a ridge into AK and western Canada. It’s headed that way we just have to be patient. Once it sets up, we will have beaucoup chances.

Thats the main thing its only early December not even really winter yet

The only thing i cant get past yet is we said that last year too and still couldn't get a snowstorm

And i know things are different this year and yes we need patience but its hard to keep waiting :lol:
1 likes   
#neversummer

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#727 Postby Cerlin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:49 pm

Brent wrote:
Quixotic wrote:The big take away from this is that this is exactly the right type of track to expect from an enso that is ninoesque. The pacific is the problem. We’ve got no cold air to work with. I fully expect that will change as this year looks more like 02-03 rather than 09-10. The low needs to be established in the aleutians pumping a ridge into AK and western Canada. It’s headed that way we just have to be patient. Once it sets up, we will have beaucoup chances.

The only thing i cant get past yet is we said that last year too and still couldn't get a snowstorm

And i know things are different this year and yes we need patience but its hard to keep waiting :lol:

Agreed! Whenever we had that dusting in January of 2017, I got NO snow at my house in frisco, so I haven’t seen snow since March of 2015!!! I’ve been waiting almost 4 years now...I forgot what it was like! :eek:
1 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#728 Postby bubba hotep » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:09 am

Brent wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

at least we were never forecast to see anything frozen, I cant imagine being in OKC :double: that'd be way worse than this.

Personally I never was convinced about DFW seeing anything meaningful and I could see even the optimism about a surprise floating away especially yesterday

I never expected any snow in DFW (in fact, I was worried I was being too much of a wet blanket in this thread lol) but I was looking forward to the 2 - 4" of rain. Now, if the models had shown what they showed for OKC in DFW and FWD would've gone out with 4-6" for DFW yesterday and we were looking at 0" today... Holy hell would I be done with this winter!
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#729 Postby Brent » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:12 am

bubba hotep wrote:
Brent wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

I never expected any snow in DFW (in fact, I was worried I was being too much of a wet blanket in this thread lol) but I was looking forward to the 2 - 4" of rain. Now, if the models had shown what they showed for OKC in DFW and FWD would've gone out with 4-6" for DFW yesterday and we were looking at 0" today... Holy hell would I be done with this winter!

yup that's exactly why I'm not nearly as annoyed as I was a year ago, like I said, I've seen the writing on the wall for most of the week now and knew the only chance would be a trip north probably(barring a major surprise), but even that has kind of gone up in smoke now lol
0 likes   
#neversummer

Quixotic
Category 2
Category 2

#730 Postby Quixotic » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:13 am

Brent wrote:

Don’t worry. It’s coming. It’s a west based nino. We are going to get chances this year. I promise. If I’m wrong, drinks on me. It’s already headed that way. Watch the epo. It’s going to tank late December or very early January. This positive spike is temporary.
1 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#731 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:22 am

I've gotten over 3 inches at my place today, and still pitter pattering now as of this post. Nice! I'll check in morning when it's over.
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#732 Postby bubba hotep » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:24 am

Quixotic wrote:
Brent wrote:

Don’t worry. It’s coming. It’s a west based nino. We are going to get chances this year. I promise. If I’m wrong, drinks on me. It’s already headed that way. Watch the epo. It’s going to tank late December or very early January. This positive spike is temporary.

I'm holding you to that! But the fact that there was even a system to track in Dec is a win. West based +ENSO really seems to favor the dry & warm Dec, esp early.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#733 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:26 am

Cpv17 wrote:4.75” so far here in Wharton today. Everything is flooded.

Looks like you finally got decent heavy rains down there. :wink:
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#734 Postby Brent » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:37 am

bubba hotep wrote:
Quixotic wrote:
Brent wrote:

I'm holding you to that! But the fact that there was even a system to track in Dec is a win. West based +ENSO really seems to favor the dry & warm Dec, esp early.

:roflmao: Saving this quote just in case... :wink:

But you're right, even to have a storm that's borderline this early is a good thing and I'm still optimistic about what's to come. I just want a winter storm to actually verify :lol:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#735 Postby Cpv17 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:22 am

weatherdude1108 wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:4.75” so far here in Wharton today. Everything is flooded.

Looks like you finally got decent heavy rains down there. :wink:

Yeah we’ve gone over 5” now in about a 12 hour window. I don’t remember the last time we’ve had that much rain in such little time. Possibly since Harvey, but we had 6.5” from Harvey in just one hour lol that was the heaviest rain I’ve ever seen.
3 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#736 Postby Ralph's Weather » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:21 am

40 here this morning and still lightly raining. So far over 2.5" of rain.
2 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#737 Postby gpsnowman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:51 am

Ralph's Weather wrote:40 here this morning and still lightly raining. So far over 2.5" of rain.

More light rain moving close to DFW this morning with the snow line near Wichita Falls. Maybe our Falls members can report some flurry action.
1 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#738 Postby gboudx » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:17 am

bubba hotep wrote:
Brent wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

Maybe I’m just the Forum cynic, but even if FWD had forecasted what OKC missed, I still wouldn’t have expected it. I really do live by “I’ll believe it when I see it”. What happened to OKC should be a good lesson for this mindset. It’s never a guarantee.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#739 Postby Portastorm » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:22 am

If y'all want to see snow, Lubbock is the place to be this morning.

http://its.txdot.gov/ITS_WEB/FrontEnd/default.html?r=LBB&p=Lubbock&t=cctv
3 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#740 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:24 am

Sitting right at 33. It’s trying to switch over with some sleet and snow mixed in.
2 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “Winter Weather”