Salt Lake City drops to 0F (and weather nerd trivia)

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Scott Patterson
Category 2
Category 2

Salt Lake City drops to 0F (and weather nerd trivia)

#1 Postby Scott Patterson » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:04 am

Salt Lake City (my former home which is why I was watching it) dropped to zero degrees on December 10. A lot of weather buffs were watching this for a specific reason. If the temperature didn’t drop to 0 or below in December 2009, the 00’s would have been the only decade in recorded history never to record a zero temperature in December.

Anyway, weather records in SLC date back to the 1850’s. The zero on December 10 breaks an 18 year streak of having no December zero temperatures. This is by far the longest stretch on record. Last time it dropped below zero in December was on the 31st of 1990.

Here are the record stretches of time without any zero or below temperatures:

1. 1991-2008: 18 years
2. 1973-1986: 14 years
3. 1940-1947: 8 years
4. 1964-1969: 6 years
5. 1933-1938: 6 years

0F may seem cold for December for those whom are young, but many years in SLC have dropped to -10F or below (the last ones being in 1990) and temps have dropped to -21F one cold morning on December 13 1932. In December 1924, even Provo dropped to -35F.

There were still more records broken in the 2000-2009 (00’s) decade than the above however. The coldest temperature in the years of this decade (assuming it is not broken later this month) were -5F on January 30 2002 and on February 13 2004. All other decades have dropped to at least -12F. Before the 1990’s all decades dropped to at least -14.

No monthly lows have been set in SLC since October 1971, but several monthly highs were broken during this decade:

January’s record warmest temperature was 63 in 2003. March’s record warmest temperature was 78 in 2004 (tied with 1960). April’s record warmest temperature was 89 in 2007. May’s record warmest temperature was 99 in 2003. July’s record warmest temperature was 107 in 2002 (tied with 1960). November’s record warmest temperature was 75 in 2009 (tied 1967).

One monthly cold record did get close to being tied or broken this decade. May 8 2002 dropped to 26F. This was the 3rd coldest may temperature ever recorded in May in SLC.

(PS, please don't interject this thread with politics such as happens with other weather threads).

Anyway, I hope there are some other weather nerds out there whom enjoyed a little bit of trivia, especially with the latest 0F recorded in SLC. :ggreen: Some of us were watching it closely to see if it would happen.
0 likes   

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Salt Lake City drops to 0F (and weather nerd trivia)

#2 Postby PTPatrick » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:04 pm

WOW...I never realized Salt Lake was that much warmer than denver. I knew it could be good bit warmer in summer, but I figured cold inversions in the valley would make below zero a monthly thing there in winter. Interestingly enough since 1999 6 out of 10 of Denver's Decembers have featured at least one below zero reading. 2 more featured 0 readings. The exceptions to below zeros are 1999, 2001, 2002, 20003...since 2004 every year has had a below zero reading. Oddly enough 2 of the 4 years listed above had a below zero reading in November but not December though. The December below zeros of this year and last year... --17 and -24 respectively, are much colder than the below zeros registered in the previous 10 decembers. Some of the below zeros for Denver in December of the past 10 years were barely below...so I would suspect if we were still measuring at stapleton, of the 6 that came measured a below 0 since 1999, probably 3 did not get to below zero close to down town. And of the 2 zero readings...neither probably were actually zero for Denver proper. So for records sake probably only 3 of 10 really got below zero in Denver...so there could be as much as a 50% increase below zeros in Denver in December since moving the station to DIA....but to get to my point and not to hijack you thread and turn it into another Denver thread ;-) ...

Not sure if this is at all at play in Salt Lake but location makes a huge difference when trying to measure below zero temps as it can very 5 or 6 degrees in a few miles without much change in elevation. Has Salt Lake moved its measuring site in the past 20 years? Perhaps also with Salt Lake being deeper in a valley than Denver and more "surrounded" the urban heat island effect has been greater there? I know Salt Lakes population exploded in the mid to late 90's. I would imagine a similar situation with Boise and Portland, although I dont have time to look up stats. I love trivia though!
0 likes   

Scott Patterson
Category 2
Category 2

#3 Postby Scott Patterson » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:40 pm

WOW...I never realized Salt Lake was that much warmer than denver.

In the winter Denver isn't really colder on average, but the Salt Lake temperature is just more stable:

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ut7598

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?co2220

Denver has more below zero temperatures, but it has more 65-70 degree days in winter as well. While 65-70 (and sometimes even higher) degree temperatures in Denver are fairly common in winter, there has never been a 70 degree day in Salt Lake in any of the three winter months. In fact 60 degree days in Salt Lake are quite uncommon in the winter months. In contrast to Denver (which usually has several 60 degree days even in January), in January the temperature in Salt Lake has only risen to 60 or above nine times in the last 152 years. After a winter snowstorm, the snow in Salt Lake usually stays on the ground longer than it does in Denver.

Still, extreme temperatures are moderated by the Great Salt Lake (which never freezes) and by the mountains which block many of the cold air masses that reach the Great Plains (or Denver). Away from the Lake, temperatures can definitely get colder. Fairfield in a valley SW of Salt Lake and not much different in elevation recently recorded a -31F.

Has Salt Lake moved its measuring site in the past 20 years?

No. In fact it’s basicially been in the same place since 1928, which is at the airport. A few times it was moved to a different building, but only by a few hundred yards at the most. Before 1928, the station was actually downtown which is actually a slightly warmer location.

Not sure if this is at all at play in Salt Lake but location makes a huge difference when trying to measure below zero temps as it can very 5 or 6 degrees in a few miles without much change in elevation.

It does, but the airport is actually one of the cooler locations (at least at night in winter) in the Salt Lake Valley since it is low elevation. At -30F, it also has the record low for the valley as well (a few other locations in the Salt Lake Valley are slightly colder in winter, namely along the Jordan River, but the airport has the record). The benches typically get much more snowfall, but are slightly warmer in the winter. For example, see this station for Cottonwood Weir located on the East Bench:

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ut1759

When you look at the extreme temperatures rather than just the averages, there can be a huge difference. Snowfall is more affected than temperature though. Most of the East Bench sees 80-120 inches of snow a year rather than the 60 inches near the airport.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby MGC » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:13 pm

Glad it don't get to zero down here.....I would think the reason SLC has not been dropping to zero much lately is due to the urban heat island. Many big cities that use to drop to zero often don't make it there much because of the heat island.......MGC
0 likes   

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby PTPatrick » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:35 am

that is all very interesting Scott and makes quite a bit of sense. I never really studied it much til after I read your response but it does appear that the rockies really block a lot cold polar highs from getting to SLC. Supposedly those have to come from down the west side of the rockies based on what I read and those just much less frequent. In any case, its all interesting. My image of SLC was that it was just generally warmer and drier than Denver...but the reality is that avg temps and precip for the 2 cities arent much different...however some notable differences are that :
1) SLC has less extremes in winter temps than Denver, but seems to have more extremes in summer temps, and vise versa...100's happen yearly in SLC but only every few years in Denver.
2) In terms of snowfall SLC gets more of theirs in winter, than Denver...Denvers snowiest months are March and November...SLC is the opposite with Decemeber and January being its snowiest months...You would tend to think SLC comes closer to supporting snow cover for much of winter, but my understanding is that much like Denver, it doesnt.

I have never been to SLC, sounds like a nice place. I doubt I would like the summer heat much...nor the drier summers relative to Denver...Denver is too dry for my taste but I could visit in January or February!

One thing I dont quite understand Scott so help me...If the Rockies block cold polar highs from getting west of the mountains...why the constantly frigid temps in Craig compared to SLC. They are both valley locals west of the Divide at similar latitudes so I would expect similar temps but they couldnt be more different. For that matter Grand Junction I would think would be more similar to SLC. Just funny mountain microclimates I guess.
0 likes   

HarlequinBoy
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby HarlequinBoy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:07 am

I'm not sure if it makes much difference, but Craig is about 2000 feet higher than SLC.

I don't think Memphis has gotten below 0 in my lifetime. The last time I can find Memphis dipped below 0 was 12/23/1989. I'd say we're overdue for a minimum below 0 sometime soon, it's been 20 years. The record low temp in Memphis is -13.
0 likes   

Scott Patterson
Category 2
Category 2

#7 Postby Scott Patterson » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:38 pm

The thread is taking a turn off topic, but it is still interesting conversation so…..

One thing I dont quite understand Scott so help me...If the Rockies block cold polar highs from getting west of the mountains...why the constantly frigid temps in Craig compared to SLC. They are both valley locals west of the Divide at similar latitudes so I would expect similar temps but they couldnt be more different.

I'm not sure if it makes much difference, but Craig is about 2000 feet higher than SLC.

I guess there are several reasons, but I can’t say I know all of them. Elevation does make a difference, but not enough to compensate the huge temperature differences between SLC and Craig. Craig is at 6300 feet, Denver is at 5300 feet and Salt Lake is at about 4300 feet, but check out the temperature differences between them all (on a different note, as mentioned earlier see that the temperature in SLC is more stable than Denver both on the high and low sides):

1. In Craig, there is no Great Salt Lake which definitely moderates the temperature in SLC. As mentioned, away from the Great Salt Lake, temperatures in NW Utah are colder at night than they are near the lake. Fairfield is not far SW of SLC, but is blocked from the lake by a narrow range of mountains. It’s about the same elevation, but is quite a bit cooler at night:

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ut2696

Areas not downwind from the lake are also drier.

2. More of the air masses definitely reach Craig than they do SLC. It is true that Craig is west of the divide, but just north of here and in Wyoming the Continental Divide is actually in the plains rather than in the mountains. There is a big gap in the Rockies for over 100 miles and many of the cold air masses that reach Denver also spill through the gap and reach Craig. Cold does spill over the divide, but to reach SLC it has to cross over the Wasatch Mountains (and other ranges) as well. The plateaus and valleys east of the Wasatch are much colder in winter than the ones west of the mountains.

3. Craig is also subject to strong inversions and they are much more severe than the ones around SLC. We don’t get the fog or the pollution, but the temperature inversions can be fierce and last a long time. Sometimes it is 30-40 degrees warmer at 10,000 feet than it is down here at 6300 feet. Yesterday, for example I had -24F at the house and it was officially -21F in downtown Craig. At the same time, the weather report said it was +7F up on Mount Werner at 10,565 feet, which is a difference of 31 degrees. SLC also has inversions, but usually not to the same extent.

This is evident in the local weather stations as well. The Craig/Moffat weather station (which is where all these reports in this thread are from) is at the SE side of town. Temperatures there have dropped to -56F. The Craig 4SW station is about seven miles southwest of town and at the Trapper Mine which sits on a hill. It’s much warmer there at night and has never seen a temperature colder than -41F. The same day (Feb 1 1985) that it was -41F at the Craig 4SW station, at Maybell the next tiny town to the west of Craig it was -61F. Maybell sits at 5920 feet and the station is close to the river. The -61F remains the coldest temperature ever recorded in Colorado, even though the elevation is not much higher than Denver. At the CDOT building in Craig, also low down and near the river, coworkers claim they recorded a -64F the same day.

Like SLC, the air in Craig can really stagnate and usually at night there isn’t any wind drainage which also causes radiative cooling.

4. Especially on clear nights, Craig also has much greater diurnal temperature changes between day and night than SLC does. You can see this in the above report as well, but it’s even greater in summer. Check out the report below as an example (this is a good one to use since you can also see the difference between cloudy and clear nights: July 5 was cloudy, though nights that warm are still very rare):

Notice that it can be almost as hot in Craig during the day as it can be in Denver or SLC. At night though, the temperatures are much cooler. Here is the hourly report from July 2 in the report above. Check out just how much (and fast) the temperature skyrockets when the sun comes up and how it drops like a rock as soon as the sun goes down:

Night temperatures can be very cold here, especially in winter, but on the plus side it does warm up during the day.

I guess these are the main reasons why I can think that Craig would be that much colder than SLC, but there are probably more.

Anyway, even though Maybell has the record low in Colorado, some places are colder on average due to some of the same reasons above. Places like Gunnison and Fraser are colder on average than Craig and Maybell are.

My image of SLC was that it was just generally warmer and drier than Denver...but the reality is that avg temps and precip for the 2 cities arent much different

Yes, it is amazing both how similar and different the climates of the two places are.

Salt Lake City has an annual temperature of 52.1F which is very close to Denver’s 50.7F (Salt Lake is lower elevation and slightly farther north). Salt Lake Airport averages 15.65 inches of precip a year; Denver 15.43, which is almost identical. Snowfall is almost identical as well with 60.1 for Salt Lake and 58.9 for Denver. The record low in both Salt Lake City and Denver is -30F. The record high in Salt Lake is 107 vs Denver’s 105, but they are both fairly close.

...however some notable differences are that :

1) SLC has less extremes in winter temps than Denver, but seems to have more extremes in summer temps, and vise versa...100's happen yearly in SLC but only every few years in Denver.

What’s weird is that the July-August extremes on the cold side are also cooler in Salt Lake. In Salt Lake, it has dropped into the 30’s several times in August and down to 40 in July, something Denver has never done. Lower humidity in summer perhaps? Just a guess; I have no idea. Outside July and August, Denver has more extremes in all other months.

2) In terms of snowfall SLC gets more of theirs in winter, than Denver...Denvers snowiest months are March and November...SLC is the opposite with Decemeber and January being its snowiest months...You would tend to think SLC comes closer to supporting snow cover for much of winter, but my understanding is that much like Denver, it doesnt.

There are some other differences as well. In Salt Lake severe thunderstorms are extremely rare. Hailstorms are tornadoes are also very rare (only two people have been killed by tornadoes in the entire state of Utah any time in the last 162 years), though one tornado did rip through downtown some years ago. The biggest hailstone I have seen in Salt Lake was about an inch and a half in diameter, but even this is rare.

One reason Denver has warm temperatures is because of Chinook winds in winter. Salt Lake never has Chinooks in winter, but does in spring when high pressure systems are over Wyoming, but only at the mouth of some of the canyons. Since Wyoming is at a higher elevation than the Salt Lake Valley, when there is a high pressure system over Wyoming, air is squeezed to the lower altitude. The Wasatch Mountains rise straight above the valley floor and are in the way though, but since they are a “young” mountain range some of the rivers are actually older than the mountain range and actually cut straight all the way through the mountains. At the mouth of the canyons, Chinook winds in Spring occasionally scream through the canyons and damage the parts of the cities at the mouth, while a few miles away from the mouth, canyon winds (which are Chinooks) never happen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snowfall between SLC and Denver is also similar yet so different. Even though snowfall averages are nearly identical, snowfall patters/causes are quite different.

Big snowstorms in Denver are usually the result of upslope conditions and moisture sucked up from the south, but Salt Lake’s big snows are caused by the lake effect of the Great Salt Lake. As a result, the mountains above Salt Lake City get way more snow than the ones above Denver.

Alta is only seven miles up the canyon from the Salt Lake Valley. It is the same elevation as Georgetown, but check out the snowfall amounts:

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?utalta

Even though Alta is only at 8700 feet, nowhere in Colorado gets as much snow as Alta. The mountains above Alta and Snowbird get even more snow. Hidden Peak at 11,000 feet averages 634 inches of snow during November through April alone (which is the only time measurements are taken). Much of the reason for the high snowfalls is the Lake effect. Since the Great Salt Lake never freezes all storms coming from the Pacific Northwest pass right over the lake and suck up moisture just before hitting the mountains. One result of all this is that the timberline is much lower around Salt Lake than it is around Denver. The mountains around Denver are forested up to above 11,500 feet or so. The timberline around Salt Lake City is around 10,000 feet, but drops almost down to 9000 feet not far north of the city.

I have never been to SLC, sounds like a nice place. I doubt I would like the summer heat much...nor the drier summers relative to Denver

True, but the Wasatch Mountains rise straight out of the city. As mentioned, Alta is only seven miles from the Salt Lake Valley. In late June, you can literally sit in 100 degree heat, hop in the car and have a snowball fight less than 20 minutes later. To point out just how steep the Wasatch Range rises above the city (especially in the south end of the valley), the straight line distance from the summit of Twin Peaks (which always has snowbanks on it except during an extreme drought) at 11,328 feet to the valley floor which is below 5000 feet is only 3.6 miles. The mountains are so close that from the alpine cirque in the photo below, you can actually here the faint hum of traffic and car horns!

...Denver is too dry for my taste but I could visit in January or February!

Anyway, unless you ski (which is great there) or want to visit the mountains, winter is actually the least pleasant time to visit Salt Lake. The mountains are beautiful, but the inversions can be nasty. It actually looks cool to be in the mountains looking down on the fog, but to be down in the fog, it’s actually nasty. It’s worse than Denver’s “brown cloud” since the mountains trap all the pollution in. Check out some of these photos:

As mentioned, it’s cool to look down on, but not to be in:

Usually, it’s even worse than in the above photo. Of course after a fresh snowstorm, everything is new and pretty.

For that matter Grand Junction I would think would be more similar to SLC. Just funny mountain microclimates I guess.

In many ways, it is similar (I used to live in the Grand Junction area too). Temperatures are pretty similar to SLC throughout the year and they too have inversions. On the other hand, Grand Junction is much drier, sunnier and less snowy than SLC (although SLC is still pretty dry and sunny compared to many places).
0 likes   

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby PTPatrick » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:01 pm

Thanks for all the info :) I am a total weather geek and I actually quite enjoy learning this kinda of stuff. I grew up not far from New Orleans so snow and micro climates are something I have had to learn about since moving out here and its quite fascinating to me to see how much climates across the can vary even at similar latitudes and elevations. Hope it didnt change the initial intent of your thread too much!
0 likes   

Scott Patterson
Category 2
Category 2

#9 Postby Scott Patterson » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:54 am

I figured cold inversions in the valley would make below zero a monthly thing there in winter

Speaking of inversions, there's a very strong one here this morning. It's -34F here at 6300 feet, but the weather station is reporting +5F up on Mount Werner at over 10,500 feet. That's an almost 40 degree difference for a rise in just over 4000 feet.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”