When will we see more Arctic Cold?

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

When will we see more Arctic Cold?

#1 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:27 pm

Very cold temperatures pooling again in NE AK/NW Canada. Is there something coming along anytime soon to dislodge it and bring it South?
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

wxman22
Category 3
Category 3

Re: When will we see more Arctic Cold?

#2 Postby wxman22 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Looks like there could be by the end of the month into February.
0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby srainhoutx » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:38 pm

The Stratospheric Warming (SSW) continues to show up via guidance and suggests that Late January/early February brings back the cold as blocking is reestablished. There are also some hints that a cross Polar Flow will setup from Siberia in early February as well.

Here is some great technical data explaining the affect of an SSW event and how this translates to colder air as well as the Polar Vortex...

http://center.stelab.nagoya-u.ac.jp/caw ... i_koji.pdf
Last edited by srainhoutx on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:39 pm

I hope February lives up to it's snowy reputation, at least for the south :D
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#5 Postby JonathanBelles » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Yea, Ive been hypothesizing that the next cold spill will occur in early February, but this is based on no scientific evidence other than patterns. By that I mean, Temperature and Moisture both run in two week cycle (or multiplicants thereof). We had cold for about 3-4 weeks, and I believe this "average period" will last about 2-4 weeks.
0 likes   

LaBreeze
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby LaBreeze » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:11 pm

Personally, I have had enough. I'm ready for Spring. :sun:
0 likes   

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby PTPatrick » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:58 pm

the question will be even if something dislodges it will there be snow cover in the plains. Looks like things are warming up quite a bit. Not 60s on the horizon(outside denver at least) but still warm enough to melt was there. Denver pretty much has no snow cover left except north sides of buildings.
0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby srainhoutx » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:06 am

PTPatrick wrote:the question will be even if something dislodges it will there be snow cover in the plains. Looks like things are warming up quite a bit. Not 60s on the horizon(outside denver at least) but still warm enough to melt was there. Denver pretty much has no snow cover left except north sides of buildings.

Good point, but what we may see is an active Southern Stream with the next Cold Pattern. This would bode well for the Southern Rockies and points E along the S Plains and Deep S. The clippers will come for the Upper Plains and Mid West.
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:08 am

Looking at that building cold air, it always makes me wonder how people live in such places.

My dad was stationed in Fairbanks and actually saw air temps in the 50 below range.

And I get cold here in North Texas! :)
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Big O
Category 1
Category 1

#10 Postby Big O » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:32 am

srainhoutx wrote:The Stratospheric Warming (SSW) continues to show up via guidance and suggests that Late January/early February brings back the cold as blocking is reestablished. There are also some hints that a cross Polar Flow will setup from Siberia in early February as well.
Here is some great technical data explaining the affect of an SSW event and how this translates to colder air as well as the Polar Vortex...

http://center.stelab.nagoya-u.ac.jp/caw ... i_koji.pdf

What hints have you seen that would suggest cross-polar flow from Siberia? This is significant because Siberia is an extremely cold source region and earlier this month there were reports of a 1070+ HP system in the vicinity of Siberia.
0 likes   

TideJoe
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#11 Postby TideJoe » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:17 am

LaBreeze wrote:Personally, I have had enough. I'm ready for Spring. :sun:

This. I'm ready for highs in the 80s and lows in the 60s.
0 likes   

richtrav
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12 Postby richtrav » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:13 pm

Me three! We've had enough cold to last the next 3 or 4 winters, this winter has already done enough damage. A late freeze of a magnitude comparable to last week's would do far more damage if plants start breaking dormancy. I'm up in SA/Austin this week and the damage to plants is very interesting, as bad as I thought it would be on some things but surprisingly less on others. That the temperatures went above freezing in the afternoon probably helped some things quite a bit. Their very dormant state also worked to their advantage in many cases. Of course some damage may be slower to show up and won't be fully known until spring (or even later, heck the blue palms in SA took nearly 20 years to show trunk damage from the '80s).
0 likes   

Tejas89
Category 1
Category 1

#13 Postby Tejas89 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:15 pm

There is some *extremely* cold air sitting in Siberia. I'd rather it stay there or head somewhere else unless we can get some precip with it in N. Texas. Everything is dry and crusty from last week's deep freeze, and count me among those looking forward to some spring showers and warmer temps!
0 likes   

Nicko999
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Nicko999 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:27 pm

Me too. I want all the snow (and trust me, we have a lot) to melt.
0 likes   

xironman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby xironman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:13 am

Being on the east coast I generally keep my eye on NAO, doesn't look like much is going to happen in the near future.

0 likes   

attallaman

#16 Postby attallaman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:57 am

Nicko999 wrote:

Me too. I want all the snow (and trust me, we have a lot) to melt.
This time last week I believe I was having to let my faucets drip but not tonight, right now it's a balmy 59F, nice outside but it's still raining and very windy but at least it's not cold like it was last week.
0 likes   

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Macrocane » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:15 am

It seems that troughing is going to be the dominant pattern in a big part of North America and warmer temperatures are expected. I understand that you up there don't want more bitter cold, but here in the tropics we will miss the colder air, it seems that for at least 10 days or so we are not going to have another cold front reaching the area.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#18 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:44 am

Macrocane wrote:It seems that troughing is going to be the dominant pattern in a big part of North America and warmer temperatures are expected. I understand that you up there don't want more bitter cold, but here in the tropics we will miss the colder air, it seems that for at least 10 days or so we are not going to have another cold front reaching the area.

There is a lot of more cold air building up in the arctic region. Looks like sometime end of January or early February it should return to cooler\colder conditions.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

attallaman

#19 Postby attallaman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:17 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Macrocane wrote:It seems that troughing is going to be the dominant pattern in a big part of North America and warmer temperatures are expected. I understand that you up there don't want more bitter cold, but here in the tropics we will miss the colder air, it seems that for at least 10 days or so we are not going to have another cold front reaching the area.

There is a lot of more cold air building up in the arctic region. Looks like sometime end of January or early February it should return to cooler\colder conditions.
How far south? Will the next wave of cold air, will it be arctic air, make it to the coast in the deep south? That cold last week was brutal for a southerner who's not use to it. I will say this, the wind is still howling good today, currently out of the ENE at 23, gusting to 37. Yowzah!
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#20 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:21 pm

:uarrow: Can't really say for sure. Temps in Alaska are colder than what it was in Canada the past arctic wave. Also to note siberia is also brutally cold. We'll just have to wait and see.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “Winter Weather”