Snow????

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Johnny
Category 5
Category 5

Snow????

#1 Postby Johnny » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:08 pm

I have been reading a few threads in here and I've been seeing most of y'all have been mentioning a very strange word called 'snow'? If you don't mind me asking, what is this 'snow' y'all speak of? Thanks.

Johnny from Southeast, Texas
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby wx247 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:18 pm

LOL Johnny. Come to the Midwest in January and we'll show ya. ;)
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

DelStormLover
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby DelStormLover » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:47 pm

come to de in feb and ill show you you poor lost soul!
0 likes   

StormCrazyIowan
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby StormCrazyIowan » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:35 pm

LMAO, that goes for here too! :lol:
0 likes   

bkhusky2
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby bkhusky2 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:13 pm

Come here and I can show you a cold rain, but that's about the best I can do. :)
0 likes   

StormCrazyIowan
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby StormCrazyIowan » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:15 pm

LOL!!!
0 likes   

Colin
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Colin » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:11 pm

Come here in January, I heard somebody is calling for a major blizzard then... :D
0 likes   

opera ghost
Category 4
Category 4

#8 Postby opera ghost » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:00 am

Welcome to my world *grins*

Check out the "never seen snow" thread and you'll see that it was SO unusual for this Houstonian to see snow that she actully took a picture of the event! (Of course I had to travel to Wyoming in the summer... but hey- who's quibbling!)
0 likes   

Johnny
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Johnny » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:24 pm

Main Entry: snow
Pronunciation: 'snO
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English snAw; akin to Old High German snEo snow, Latin niv-, nix, Greek nipha (accusative)
Date: before 12th century
1 a : precipitation in the form of small white ice crystals formed directly from the water vapor of the air at a temperature of less than 32°F (0°C) b (1) : a descent or shower of snow crystals (2) : a mass of fallen snow crystals

Ok, I think I know what this thing y'all call 'SNOW' is now. :lol:

Operaghost.....I'm almost 28 years old and have lived my entire life here in Southeast, Texas. In my lifetime, I have seen only two measurable snows. One was while I was in kindergarten and the other was in 1989 I believe. It sure had been awhile. Maybe this is the year? I've been saying that for the past ten years!!!!lol
So instead of waiting here for it to snow I started taking January road trips up to Colorado to get my fill of snow and boy did I ever. I did that 4 years in a roll from 1995 to 1998. It's been awhile since I've been back up that way. Now I tell myself that if it snows within 150 to 200 miles of my house then I'm hitting the road and getting me a taste of it. Earliar this year Dallas had that sleet and ice storm and I wasn't getting out in that stuff. Yuck!! I'm still waiting!!!! lol
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#10 Postby southerngale » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:46 pm

Johnny wrote:Main Entry: snow
Pronunciation: 'snO
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English snAw; akin to Old High German snEo snow, Latin niv-, nix, Greek nipha (accusative)
Date: before 12th century
1 a : precipitation in the form of small white ice crystals formed directly from the water vapor of the air at a temperature of less than 32°F (0°C) b (1) : a descent or shower of snow crystals (2) : a mass of fallen snow crystals

Ok, I think I know what this thing y'all call 'SNOW' is now. :lol:

Operaghost.....I'm almost 28 years old and have lived my entire life here in Southeast, Texas. In my lifetime, I have seen only two measurable snows. One was while I was in kindergarten and the other was in 1989 I believe. It sure had been awhile. Maybe this is the year? I've been saying that for the past ten years!!!!lol
So instead of waiting here for it to snow I started taking January road trips up to Colorado to get my fill of snow and boy did I ever. I did that 4 years in a roll from 1995 to 1998. It's been awhile since I've been back up that way. Now I tell myself that if it snows within 150 to 200 miles of my house then I'm hitting the road and getting me a taste of it. Earliar this year Dallas had that sleet and ice storm and I wasn't getting out in that stuff. Yuck!! I'm still waiting!!!! lol

LOL at the definition. :lol:

That was a great idea about January road trips to see snow. I've thought about doing that many times but never have. I did get lucky a few times while visiting my grandparents in Brownwood, Tx. (near Abilene) and got some snow while there. And of course a few times way down here, but it's been a long time. :(

Anyway, if that snow hits within 150-200 miles of your house and you hit the road, take I-10 east to Beaumont first and pick me up...hehe :wink:
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby wx247 » Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:12 pm

Yes... snow is much much better than ice. :o
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

DelStormLover
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12 Postby DelStormLover » Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:26 pm

But ill take ice over rain anyday!
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby wx247 » Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:33 pm

DelStormLover wrote:But ill take ice over rain anyday!

Oh no... :o Not I! Rain and snow are far superior to ice. I will remember that, however, when we are getting an ice storm. I will try to wish it your way. ;)
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#14 Postby ColdFront77 » Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:10 pm

Absolutely right, ice storms are much worse than snowstorms. They cause so many more accidents.

Snow has (much) more traction than ice.
0 likes   

Johnny
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Johnny » Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:26 pm

I'd have to agree with the ice thing. I was driving in snow the entire time I was in Colorado one January. I wasn't all that bad. I left Estes Park on the last morning to come back home and there was a major arctic front barreling down on me just coming through Canada. Well I beat it home by a day and when it came through Southeast, Texas it left the biggest mess I have ever seen down this way. It was the biggest ice storm to hit Southeast, Texas in a long time. I believe this was January of 1997.

Southerngale.....sure I'll pick ya up. How old are ya? :wink: LOL

More than likely this will be the only way to have a shot of seeing snow. I sure hope I'm wrong though.
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby breeze » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:37 pm

LOL, Johnny, flurries and ice tend to bug us, here!
I'm waiting for a good 1/2 foot snow to fall in
Tennessee...(*sigh)...:D
0 likes   

StormCrazyIowan
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby StormCrazyIowan » Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:09 pm

I am the snow fairie, I shall grant all your wishes! :lol: Don't y'all wish there really was one?!

Ice+ My Car= Certain death!!! I slide in the rain, my car is so little!

And one more note, if anyone is going on snow expeditions, better swing up to IOWA and pick me up too! :lol:
0 likes   

Johnny
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Johnny » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:23 am

StormCrayIowan, that sure would be nice if there was a snow fairie. Wish some down my way when you get a chance will ya? :lol:

So you would like to go on a snow expedition also? Alright!!! I'll be there to pick you up the first week of January. Deal? :)
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”