Just found you guys.

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
li-mike
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Just found you guys.

#1 Postby li-mike » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:33 am

Looking foreward to the winter ahead and Hope everyone gets the weather they want.

Li-Mike

Living in the Pine Barrens on North Eastern Long Island.
0 likes   

GAStorm
Category 1
Category 1

#2 Postby GAStorm » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:35 am

Welcome to the board li-mike! How was winter for you last year? I would think it was good with the noreasters in your area. :wink:
0 likes   

li-mike
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

A fairly good winter out here.

#3 Postby li-mike » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:07 am

The Christmass Storm put down almost a foot, and the Blizzard put down a clean 28 Inches. Coupled with Numbers 3-4 Inch Storms I would guess we came in at about 60-70 Inches which is fairly impressive. There are really no historical data for this area of LI except for what is measured at Islip Airport which is pretty far south as far as LI is concerned. It is quite normal for the R/S Line to set up a few miles south of the north shore and we get good snows. Our weather is more along the Lines of Coastal Ct up here which as you know has a much greater annual snow fall than any stations do on LI or in NYC. Hope we get a good snow this year.

Mike[/img]
0 likes   

GAStorm
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby GAStorm » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:28 am

Wow! That is a lot of snow!! :wink: Hopefully it will be an interesting winter this year too!
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Stephanie » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:11 pm

Welcome LI Mike - I grew up on Long Island. I last lived in Nesconset before moving to NJ in 1977.

My father used to take us to the Islip (MacArthur) Airport when we were kids to watch the planes come in and go out.
0 likes   

li-mike
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

The Airport has really Grown up.

#6 Postby li-mike » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:42 pm

Islip is now a true small market hub being serviced by mostly jets now with a new terminal that would rival most regional airports. I live a bit further east on the Northern Edge of the Pine Barrens in Wading River. I just moved from Stonybrook so I know the area well. Hope you have a good winter and come on back to LI soon it has one of the most interesting Micro Climates I have ever seen.

Mike
0 likes   

Colin
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Colin » Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:12 pm

Welcome Mike! :) Have fun! ;)
0 likes   

JCT777
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby JCT777 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:58 pm

Great to see you here, Mike! 8-) I hope this winter features a good amount of snow for us. :)
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby chadtm80 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:47 pm

Welcome aboard Mike!! Great to have you here :-)
0 likes   

StormCrazyIowan
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby StormCrazyIowan » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:40 pm

Welcome to the boards!!
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby breeze » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:13 pm

Glad to meet you, li-mike! Welcome!
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby wx247 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:42 pm

Welcome Mike. I hope you enjoy discussing winter issues and much much more here at Storm2K. :)
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ColdFront77

#13 Postby ColdFront77 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:34 am

Hello Mike. I am glad you found us as well. :)

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=16700
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#14 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:10 am

Welcome to Storm2k Li-mike!! I never thought of LI as being a place that would have micro climates unless you were talking a heat island type of effect on the area that NYC and it's burbs would cover. What sets it up where you are and what kind of micro climate do you have? I presume it is snowier than other areas near you.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Rainband

#15 Postby Rainband » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:42 am

Welcome li Mike to S2K. I was in PA for the Christmas storm..last year. We almost got stranded up there. Anyhow enjoy the site :) :wink:
0 likes   

li-mike
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#16 Postby li-mike » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:12 am

Interesting that you ask. The Heat Island effect is non existent once you get into Suffolk County on LI. We are over 60 Miles East of NYC If you are truly interested which I assume you are let's look at some of the contributing factors that make this such a unique climate.

I will start with winter.

Since we are surrounded by major bodies of water on three of our four sides our wx is truly influenced by the water. in the early winter say before late december it is highly unusual for us to have a full out snow event without mixing and the main factor in this is the LI Sound Temp to our north. Even of the airmass in place and dynamics are favorable the water will modify the air temp as the winds sweep over them in a Nor Easter or coastal storm that it will usually wind up as a Mix or Cold Rain. While just 7 Miles north uf us in Coastal Ct. they are getting all snow....Gotta run wife just told me her water broke....Number 3 is on the way :o

vbhoutex wrote:Welcome to Storm2k Li-mike!! I never thought of LI as being a place that would have micro climates unless you were talking a heat island type of effect on the area that NYC and it's burbs would cover. What sets it up where you are and what kind of micro climate do you have? I presume it is snowier than other areas near you.
0 likes   

JCT777
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby JCT777 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:35 pm

li-mike wrote:Gotta run wife just told me her water broke....Number 3 is on the way :o

I hope all goes well with the birth of your 3rd child. And congratulations.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#18 Postby ColdFront77 » Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:45 am

li-mike wrote:Gotta run wife just told me her water broke....Number 3 is on the way :o

JCT777 wrote:I hope all goes well with the birth of your 3rd child. And congratulations.

Mike, my congratulations and good luck on the birth of your 3rd child. :)

Thank you for your explanation of your location a specific winter weather scenario for your area of Long Island, New York.

I used to live northeast of eastern Long Island, in southeastern Massachusetts. :)
0 likes   

#19 Postby Guest » Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:51 am

Glad you found us li-mike!

Welcome to Storm2K!

Look forward to seeing your reports from the Island!
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: The Airport has really Grown up.

#20 Postby Stephanie » Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:32 am

li-mike wrote:Islip is now a true small market hub being serviced by mostly jets now with a new terminal that would rival most regional airports. I live a bit further east on the Northern Edge of the Pine Barrens in Wading River. I just moved from Stonybrook so I know the area well. Hope you have a good winter and come on back to LI soon it has one of the most interesting Micro Climates I have ever seen.

Mike

South Jersey reminds me of Long Island because they both have Pine Barrens. The landscape is very similar.

My Grandparents lived in Leisure Village in Ridge ever since it was first built in the early 70's. Both have passed away, my Grandfather was 96 when he passed away in 1999. I think Suffolk County is great - close enough to get to the city but far enough away to be away from that congestion and even have farms! :D
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”