Texas Fall-2014

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#101 Postby gpsnowman » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:52 am

gboudx wrote:Steve McCauley teasing about what lies after next weekends cold front:

"Our cold front is on schedule to arrive by Thursday bringing showers and storms through Friday to at least half of north Texas along with brisk north winds with temperature struggling to get out of the 70s on Friday and Saturday!

And if that isn't cool enough for you, just wait until the following week."

:double: Ntwx mentioned a few posts ago another front would follow the one next week according to the Euro. I am drooling. Wonder what surprises the second front has in store for us? Now on to the NFL.
0 likes   

iorange55
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Fall-2014

#102 Postby iorange55 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:08 am

Ah, yes! Fall is finally here. This summer went by fast. I can't wait for the cool down next weekend, just in time for a little camping adventure. :D

This winter should be fun.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Re:

#103 Postby Ntxw » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:15 am

gpsnowman wrote:
gboudx wrote:Steve McCauley teasing about what lies after next weekends cold front:

"Our cold front is on schedule to arrive by Thursday bringing showers and storms through Friday to at least half of north Texas along with brisk north winds with temperature struggling to get out of the 70s on Friday and Saturday!

:double: Ntwx mentioned a few posts ago another front would follow the one next week according to the Euro. I am drooling. Wonder what surprises the second front has in store for us? Now on to the NFL.

That is correct. As nice and strong a front this weekend is, there are significant hints there will be another even stronger one coming out of the Arctic with anomalous -EPO ridge. I can't post the hi res Ecmwf but there is a barreling anomalous cold air mass with near 1040hp dome coming down vs this weekend's 1030+

And then there is re-curving Fengshen in the WPAC
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#104 Postby Tireman4 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:33 am

Ntxw wrote:
gpsnowman wrote:

That is correct. As nice and strong a front this weekend is, there are significant hints there will be another even stronger one coming out of the Arctic with anomalous -EPO ridge. I can't post the hi res Ecmwf but there is a barreling anomalous cold air mass with near 1040hp dome coming down vs this weekend's 1030+

And then there is re-curving Fengshen in the WPAC

Now can I quote Sraintx and say, "Stepping down"?
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#105 Postby Ntxw » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:56 am

Tireman4 wrote:Now can I quote Sraintx and say, "Stepping down"?

Too early, the front(s) could miss...wide right of Houston for the winning kick. :wink:
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#106 Postby Ntxw » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:45 am

Here's a cool animation of the GFS. Follow the big red blob that sinks into the continent and the red blob behind it crossing over from Siberia (second air mass which the GFS isn't latching on yet compared to the Euro). This would be so much fun in the heart of winter.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis ... namer.html
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#107 Postby somethingfunny » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:51 am

We still haven't hit 80 degrees today and it's nearly noon. :D. It feels great outside.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#108 Postby Tireman4 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:16 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Tireman4 wrote:Now can I quote Sraintx and say, "Stepping down"?

Too early, the front(s) could miss...wide right of Houston for the winning kick. :wink:[/quote

Oh my sir. You are a hoot. It is 88 humid disgusting degrees here
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#109 Postby gboudx » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:32 pm

It's been nice this summer to see how lush and green vegetation has stayed. Polar opposite from last 2 summers where everything was brown, crunchy and a spark away from a wildfire hazard.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#110 Postby Portastorm » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:21 pm

Yeah, I can't complain either. The PWC has picked up close to an inch of rain in the last week. And here we are in the "heat" of the afternoon and it's in the mid 80s. Looking forward to next week's frontal passage with dreams of more rain and cooler/drier air to follow! :D
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Janie2006
Category 5
Category 5

#111 Postby Janie2006 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:48 pm

I suppose the front could always pull a Romo and toss the ball back to the opposing upper level ridge, cos, you know, the ridge hasn't had enough opportunities to score points on its own. :P
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#112 Postby Tireman4 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:21 pm

Ha ha Janie. Laugh laugh..lol.
0 likes   

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#113 Postby dhweather » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:14 pm

gboudx wrote:It's been nice this summer to see how lush and green vegetation has stayed. Polar opposite from last 2 summers where everything was brown, crunchy and a spark away from a wildfire hazard.

You haven't been under the nuclear strength inversion in the far southern part off the county. It's brownish. I've watched three straight opportunities all do the same thing, go north, south, and east of me. I honestly do not understand why this happens 9 out of 10 times. My suspicion is that it has something to do with Lake Ray Hubbard.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#114 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:50 pm

Portastorm wrote:Yeah, I can't complain either. The PWC has picked up close to an inch of rain in the last week. And here we are in the "heat" of the afternoon and it's in the mid 80s. Looking forward to next week's frontal passage with dreams of more rain and cooler/drier air to follow! :D

Oh yeah. I received about the same over the past week. I was out doing yard work at 4:15pm. 82 degrees. Very nice! :) Looking forward to the possibilities!
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#115 Postby Portastorm » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:22 am

All of a sudden the much-ballyhooed cold front later this week looks a lot less impressive than what the medium-range models showed a few days ago. Wonder if the trend will continue.

That's what we get, I guess, for buying into the models a week out. There's reasons why strong cold fronts should be suspect in the models in mid September ... climatology!
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#116 Postby wxman57 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:26 am

It's been a cool, wet summer at my house in SW Houston. Had 8" of rain in July and 9" in August. Measured an inch this past Sunday. Not a single 100F day in Houston this summer, and I don't think we'll see one before this week's cold front. Though I'd like to see a warm, dry fall and winter across southeast Texas, I'm not seeing much to indicate any such pattern will develop.

Here's a meteogram off last night's GFS run. Dewpoints down into the 50s with highs closer to 90 this coming weekend:

0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#117 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:58 am

:uarrow: A sign of the apocalypse! Frame these words from Wxman57...

"Though I'd like to see a warm, dry fall and winter across southeast Texas, I'm not seeing much to indicate any such pattern will develop.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#118 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:03 pm

Portastorm wrote:All of a sudden the much-ballyhooed cold front later this week looks a lot less impressive than what the medium-range models showed a few days ago. Wonder if the trend will continue.

That's what we get, I guess, for buying into the models a week out. There's reasons why strong cold fronts should be suspect in the models in mid September ... climatology!

Are you referring to the Austin area? Because I just watched the NBC5 forecast(starring Rick Mitchell) and it seems rain chances have gone up a tad and temps have gone down a tad. Upper 50's Saturday and Sunday mornings, with evening 70's. If these temps pan out, windows up and A/C off!!!
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#119 Postby Portastorm » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:30 pm

gpsnowman wrote:
Portastorm wrote:All of a sudden the much-ballyhooed cold front later this week looks a lot less impressive than what the medium-range models showed a few days ago. Wonder if the trend will continue.

Are you referring to the Austin area? Because I just watched the NBC5 forecast(starring Rick Mitchell) and it seems rain chances have gone up a tad and temps have gone down a tad. Upper 50's Saturday and Sunday mornings, with evening 70's. If these temps pan out, windows up and A/C off!!!

Yes I am and I should have clarified that. Thanks for pointing it out. The latest Euro hangs up the frontal boundary in south central Texas this weekend. Creates the potential for good rains but projected highs last week around 80 (for Austin) may not happen. Mid 80s for highs ... yes, with lows in the upper 60s. Hey, I'm not griping ... but was just pointing out that some of the model runs from late last week showed an amazingly strong front.
0 likes   

Janie2006
Category 5
Category 5

#120 Postby Janie2006 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:41 pm

I refuse to acknowledge a busted forecast until it actually busts. :lol:
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”