Texas Spring 2019

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Spring 2019

#1681 Postby rwfromkansas » Tue May 21, 2019 5:13 pm

Dreading that ridge. Hopefully it doesn’t stick here permanently for another three weeks or so.
2 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1682 Postby gpsnowman » Tue May 21, 2019 6:41 pm

rwfromkansas wrote:Dreading that ridge. Hopefully it doesn’t stick here permanently for another three weeks or so.

Or longer. The rain cooled air with clouds will cease to exist for several days. I don't trust the high 80's forecasted. Without precipitation, I fear the 90's will slowly creep into upcoming outlooks. To quote Elvis, "What else is there for me to do but cry?" Ok, it's not that bad but heat is slowly getting here.
1 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#1683 Postby Haris » Tue May 21, 2019 10:11 pm

Lagreeneyes03 wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:I may be totally off on this one, but it seems like the SPC could have gotten away with keeping the Moderate Risk yesterday, like the past several days out they were predicting (without upgrading). Not sure if it was a "High Risk" day based on the less widespread reality(?) (like storms not initiating where they were predicted to initiate, etc).

But that said, I'm not a severe weather expert, and you never know what the weather is going to do. A lot of factors go into the SPC's forecasts, and they have a lot of data coming at them. Very fluid and dynamic with a lot of mesoscale and micro-scale influences.

I've seen Marginal Risk days here end up with a severe thunderstorm watch and twisters reported nearby.

Just throwing it out there for discussion purposes.

Better to be safe than sorry in any case.

I think there was a graphic out there that they invented another category "Extreme" and it was in white. Unreal.

Meanwhile, boy the storms sure fell about at the DFW metro. What was that all about? But I'm looking forward to a long dry spell and the heat ridge. I'm ready to get that pool to a comfortable temperature and swim.

With all due to respect, and you certainly have a right to your opinion, I am just curious... How do you wish that having lived in TX? Lol. 2011 forever changed my perspective. I take and appreciate every rain drop. And we are hot all of June, July, August and Sep. No reason to bring it on any earlier. As always, my humble opinion from a fellow Texan. :wink:
5 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1684 Postby Brent » Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 pm

Haris wrote:
Lagreeneyes03 wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:I may be totally off on this one, but it seems like the SPC could have gotten away with keeping the Moderate Risk yesterday, like the past several days out they were predicting (without upgrading). Not sure if it was a "High Risk" day based on the less widespread reality(?) (like storms not initiating where they were predicted to initiate, etc).

But that said, I'm not a severe weather expert, and you never know what the weather is going to do. A lot of factors go into the SPC's forecasts, and they have a lot of data coming at them. Very fluid and dynamic with a lot of mesoscale and micro-scale influences.

I've seen Marginal Risk days here end up with a severe thunderstorm watch and twisters reported nearby.

I think there was a graphic out there that they invented another category "Extreme" and it was in white. Unreal.

Meanwhile, boy the storms sure fell about at the DFW metro. What was that all about? But I'm looking forward to a long dry spell and the heat ridge. I'm ready to get that pool to a comfortable temperature and swim.

With all due to respect, and you certainly have a right to your opinion, I am just curious... How do you wish that having lived in TX? Lol. 2011 forever changed my perspective. I take and appreciate every rain drop. And we are hot all of June, July, August and Sep. No reason to bring it on any earlier. As always, my humble opinion from a fellow Texan. :wink:

Before i moved here in 2014 i always found it funny when yall acted crazy about rain(growing up in Alabama where we averaged over 50 inches a year and rarely had a long dry spell) but now I've figured it out because it can go away any moment for awhile
2 likes   
#neversummer

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1685 Postby Tireman4 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:16 am

Haris wrote:
Lagreeneyes03 wrote:

I agree with Haris on this. 2011 was the toughest year ever on Texas...( at least in a long time)
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1686 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:40 am

Tireman4 wrote:
Haris wrote:
Lagreeneyes03 wrote:

I agree with Haris on this. 2011 was the toughest year ever on Texas...( at least in a long time)

Yes, 100% agree. I've lived in Texas since I was a very young kid in 1976. 2011 was THE Texas Summer of all my Summers here. BRUTAL, that I never wish to happen again. :firedevil: :wall: I am all for delaying the heat for as long as possible! This is the time of year when I start going into depression, kind of like people do up north during the long Winters there. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) I think(?). But I get SAD during the Texas Summers. :P
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1687 Postby Rgv20 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:02 am

TOASTY!! :sun:

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Brownsville TX
415 AM CDT Wed May 22 2019

...Very High Heat Index Values Expected Today...

.The combination of very high temperatures and elevated humidity
values across Deep South Texas and the Rio Grande Valley will
result in very high heat index values across Zapata, Starr and
southern Hidalgo Counties this afternoon.

TXZ248-252-253-221715-
/O.NEW.KBRO.HT.Y.0001.190522T1800Z-190522T2300Z/
Zapata-Starr-Southern Hidalgo-
Including the cities of Zapata, Rio Grande City, Roma, McAllen,
Edinburg, Pharr, Mission, and Weslaco

...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 6 PM CDT
THIS EVENING...

The National Weather Service in Brownsville has issued a Heat
Advisory, which is in effect from 1 PM this afternoon to 6 PM CDT
this evening.

* TEMPERATURE...Heat index values will increase into the 111 to
115 degree range during the afternoon and early evening hours
today.

* IMPACTS...Heat Stroke or Heat Exhaustion is possible with
prolonged heat exposure and physical activity.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Heat Advisory is issued when the heat index...a measure of how
it feels when temperature and humidity are combined...equals or
exceeds 111 degrees for 2 hours or more during the day.

Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. When
possible...reschedule strenuous activities to the early morning
or the late evening hours. Know the signs and symptoms of heat
exhaustion and heat stroke. Wear light weight and loose fitting
clothing when possible and drink plenty of water.

&&

$$
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1688 Postby rwfromkansas » Wed May 22, 2019 10:09 am

The one good thing about the summer is our neighborhood pool. I do like that, but we pay out the nose in HOA fees for it.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1689 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:58 am

Rgv20 wrote:TOASTY!! :sun:

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Brownsville TX

...Very High Heat Index Values Expected Today...

.The combination of very high temperatures and elevated humidity
values across Deep South Texas and the Rio Grande Valley will
result in very high heat index values across Zapata, Starr and
southern Hidalgo Counties this afternoon.

TXZ248-252-253-221715-
/O.NEW.KBRO.HT.Y.0001.190522T1800Z-190522T2300Z/
Zapata-Starr-Southern Hidalgo-
Including the cities of Zapata, Rio Grande City, Roma, McAllen,
Edinburg, Pharr, Mission, and Weslaco

...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 6 PM CDT
THIS EVENING...

The National Weather Service in Brownsville has issued a Heat
Advisory, which is in effect from 1 PM this afternoon to 6 PM CDT
this evening.

* TEMPERATURE...Heat index values will increase into the 111 to
115 degree range during the afternoon and early evening hours
today.

* IMPACTS...Heat Stroke or Heat Exhaustion is possible with
prolonged heat exposure and physical activity.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Heat Advisory is issued when the heat index...a measure of how
it feels when temperature and humidity are combined...equals or
exceeds 111 degrees for 2 hours or more during the day.

Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. When
possible...reschedule strenuous activities to the early morning
or the late evening hours. Know the signs and symptoms of heat
exhaustion and heat stroke. Wear light weight and loose fitting
clothing when possible and drink plenty of water.

&&

$$

UGH! :18:
I remember doing some work for a water well driller after college back in the late 90s down in the valley. It was in June in the McAllen area, and there was no breeze. I was wearing jeans, a long sleeve shirt, hard hat, and was shoveling auger cuttings . All this while being hung over from the night before.lol That part was my own fault. My clothes were soaked in sweat. I thought I was going to die! I almost threw up and passed out, but somehow made it through without that, all-the-while the driller yelling at me to hurry up. It was a low point, and I had some college pride, but the driller set me straight, and I survived! :D Made me stronger. Character-building. :wink:
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1690 Postby Portastorm » Wed May 22, 2019 11:52 am

You people mentioning 2011 ... I thought I told y'all we won't be talking about that year again?! :wink:

2011: The Year of Hell on Earth (at least in Texas)
4 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1691 Postby bubba hotep » Wed May 22, 2019 1:25 pm

16z special FWD sounding has CAPE pushing 5,000 and SCP of 28 lol

Good thing our friendly warm layer is holding strong to prevent any convection....
2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1692 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed May 22, 2019 1:50 pm

Sean Kelly on KXAN is a little too enthusiastic IMO about the rain going away, and saying that we don't need any more rain for several weeks. Ugh. He's WRONG. After this kind of consistent pattern with the winds/breezes the way they have been, the top soil will need rain in a week with the rate of transpiration of vegetation going on, being used to the plentiful water we have had. Then he's smirking with a sigh of relief at the fact that the CPC is predicting below normal precip and above normal temps, and no more rain for the next couple weeks.

It's like everyone forgets how quickly the pattern can turn (like it just did), and that we have at least four months of this to look forward to.smh

I'm with Haris in that I cherish every drop of rain we can get, knowing we don't live in the southeast (although they're getting the hot and dry worse than we are right now.lol).

It's nice to have full lakes going into Summer, but to say bring on the hot and dry?? :roll:

Ok, rant done.lol

https://www.kxan.com/weather/forecast/t ... 1010837543
2 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1693 Postby Brent » Wed May 22, 2019 2:37 pm

Surprise! PDS Tornado Watch for Wichita Falls up into Central Oklahoma
3 likes   
#neversummer

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1694 Postby bubba hotep » Wed May 22, 2019 2:39 pm

Brent wrote:Surprise! PDS Tornado Watch for Wichita Falls up into Central Oklahoma

Marginal Risk this morning now in a PDS! Potential was there but CI seemed somewhat unlikely. SPC has a tough job.
0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

newtotex
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1695 Postby newtotex » Wed May 22, 2019 2:55 pm

bubba hotep wrote:
Brent wrote:Surprise! PDS Tornado Watch for Wichita Falls up into Central Oklahoma

Marginal Risk this morning now in a PDS! Potential was there but CI seemed somewhat unlikely. SPC has a tough job.

Really hope people in those areas take the PDS watch seriously. Given the "bust" (using that term lightly), or, perceived one this week, hoping people don't let their guards down
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1696 Postby Tireman4 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:59 pm

Portastorm wrote:You people mentioning 2011 ... I thought I told y'all we won't be talking about that year again?! :wink:

2011: The Year of Hell on Earth (at least in Texas)

Oh yeah, I forgot Porta..forgive me sir
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1697 Postby Tireman4 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:59 pm

he Storm Prediction Center has placed a POTENTIAL DANGEROUS SITUATION TORNADO WATCH for CENTRAL/SOUTHWESTERN OKLAHOMA .... This includes Oklahoma City Metro and nearby Wichita Falls Metro.

The NWS Storm Prediction Center has issued a

* Tornado Watch for portions of
Southwest and Central Oklahoma
Western North Texas

* Effective this Wednesday afternoon and evening from 230 PM
until 1000 PM CDT.

...THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION...

* Primary threats include...
Several tornadoes and a few intense tornadoes likely
Scattered large hail likely with isolated very large hail events
to 3 inches in diameter possible
Scattered damaging wind gusts to 70 mph possible

SUMMARY...Isolated intense thunderstorms are expected to affect the
watch area this afternoon and early evening. Any storm that
persists will pose a risk of strong tornadoes, very large hail, and
damaging winds.
2 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1698 Postby rwfromkansas » Wed May 22, 2019 5:36 pm

Strange. The big storms aren’t in that watch.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1699 Postby Cpv17 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:09 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:Sean Kelly on KXAN is a little too enthusiastic IMO about the rain going away, and saying that we don't need any more rain for several weeks. Ugh. He's WRONG. After this kind of consistent pattern with the winds/breezes the way they have been, the top soil will need rain in a week with the rate of transpiration of vegetation going on, being used to the plentiful water we have had. Then he's smirking with a sigh of relief at the fact that the CPC is predicting below normal precip and above normal temps, and no more rain for the next couple weeks.

It's like everyone forgets how quickly the pattern can turn (like it just did), and that we have at least four months of this to look forward to.smh

I'm with Haris in that I cherish every drop of rain we can get, knowing we don't live in the southeast (although they're getting the hot and dry worse than we are right now.lol).

It's nice to have full lakes going into Summer, but to say bring on the hot and dry?? :roll:

Ok, rant done.lol

https://www.kxan.com/weather/forecast/t ... 1010837543

Monsoonal gyre might bring us some relief. We’ll have to wait and see, but I do like our chances as long as that SE ridge holds.
2 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1700 Postby Brent » Wed May 22, 2019 6:18 pm

rwfromkansas wrote:Strange. The big storms aren’t in that watch.

SPC just not having a good week
1 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”